Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Car interior heating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
cos192000

Romania 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Car interior heating

Since the cold whether has started I've noticed that the HVAC unit, while on Auto, is only blowing heated air at the feet. It does blow thru any of the other vents if manually selected but will return to feet only as soon as the Auto function is selected again. This makes the feet hot all the time while on the upper areas it feels a bit cold. I have read several posts about a software update that would solve this problem but they were all related to the early D3s. Is there a similar solution for a 2010 D4?
I have also performed the Learn Actuator Limits and Stepper motor initialization routines under Service/Test function with my IID Tool but it didn't change anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Post #176932426th Jan 2017 3:17 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi cos

These topics might help although most appear to be reporting issues on more recent models:

http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic154903.html

http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic142640.html
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #176946426th Jan 2017 7:01 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

If you have an IID then you can use it to see what it is demanding vs what vent is actually opening. If you have a BT IID you could record logs of all the actuator positions vs conditions.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #176949426th Jan 2017 8:03 pm
cos192000

Thank you both for your replies.

Gary, thanks for the topics recommended. I've seen those however there it seems to be an issue with getting the HVAC to blow warm air. Mine gets warm very fast and blows warm air in the cabin but only at the feet while on Auto. It's nice at first but after some time it's no longer fun Whistle It does blow warm air via the middle or upper vents if manually set to but will turn to the feet again if changed back on Auto. I know it may sound stupid but it's like it is programmed to do so on Auto.

Robbie, I do have a BT IID and will record logs on these values. Not sure what I will be able to do of them though. Could you please let me know what you mean by what it is demanding? Also by conditions do you refer to values like External ambient temperature and Interior temperature?

Thanks,

Cosmin

Post #176956926th Jan 2017 10:41 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi cos. Many of the heating problems reported throughout this forum are from people who have the problem of 'hot feet'. You're not alone. Interesting to hear what comes out of any investigations you do.
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #176961526th Jan 2017 11:53 pm
Braehead

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

cos192000 wrote:
Thank you both for your replies.

Gary, thanks for the topics recommended. I've seen those however there it seems to be an issue with getting the HVAC to blow warm air. Mine gets warm very fast and blows warm air in the cabin but only at the feet while on Auto. It's nice at first but after some time it's no longer fun Whistle It does blow warm air via the middle or upper vents if manually set to but will turn to the feet again if changed back on Auto. I know it may sound stupid but it's like it is programmed to do so on Auto.

Robbie, I do have a BT IID and will record logs on these values. Not sure what I will be able to do of them though. Could you please let me know what you mean by what it is demanding? Also by conditions do you refer to values like External ambient temperature and Interior temperature?

Thanks,

Cosmin

Got the same issue with mine. Hot feet. It's getting frustrating!

Post #176967827th Jan 2017 8:28 am
Kimi

It's not just the hot feet. Directing all air to feet causes windows to mist or freeze in colder temperatures, making auto mode useless.

More discussion here: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post1401726.html#1401726

Post #177024527th Jan 2017 11:07 pm
cos192000

Hi,

These last few days I've logged various live values related to HVAC Ventilation module.
I've saved the log from this morning and it should be available via link below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2P5y6ztx...sp=sharing

Outside temperature was - 4°C and interior was set to 21°C on Auto.

All values seemed to be OK except for two issues:
- Interior temperature will go well above the 21°C limit. This may be normal but I've seen it go as high as 32°C which was quite uncomfortable.
- Only the feet vents are used to blow the air in the cabin and the air is hot all the time. Even after the cabin has reached and exceeded the set temperature of 21°C the air blown at the feet continues to be hot. The volume of air being blown at the feet is also quite high and does not decrease as the car gets warm.

I rarely have any issues with mist or ice so no problem for me from this point of view. The only problem that I have are the boiling feet Big Cry.

Not sure what to do with the values logged as they only confirm what I was already aware of. I can check/log any values if anybody would be able to analyze them.

Thanks

Post #177196231st Jan 2017 10:19 am
cos192000

I've tried to perform the Distribution motor self-test and calibration routine however it seems that either I'm doing something wrong or there's something wrong with this function on my car because there's nothing happening.

So, as per manual instructions, with the engine off I'm pressing these two buttons at once:

While keeping the 2 buttons pressed I also long press on the start/stop engine button (without stepping on the brake pedal) and the ignition turns on but nothing else. No LED flash.
Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Cosmin

Post #177216531st Jan 2017 7:01 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Yes, the procedure you describe only works on a D3. The calibration can only be done on a D4 using diagnostic equipment (dealer, IID or similar).

Post #17723361st Feb 2017 7:15 am
cos192000

Hi,

Thanks for this clarification. It is strange though, as this procedure is detailed on my Workshop repair manual for the Discovery 4 which was published on 27-Feb-2014.
I have done both the Learn Actuator Limits and Stepper motor initialization routines with my IID. Out of curiosity which one is the equivalent of the Distribution motor self-test and calibration routine?

Thanks,

Cosmin

Post #17723891st Feb 2017 10:27 am
Hollyspan

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I've had the same issue since taking delivery of my 16MY 66 plate Graphite which has now done 1500 miles.
On Auto when car warms up you can hear the air whooshing behind the dash but it cannot seem to get into the car via the upper vents, all the warm air is going to the floor. Again when it's very cold or very wet the screen and windows freeze or mist up. Selecting the upper vents manually resolves it but obviously knocks out the A/C and Auto operation.
It's going into the dealer next week, but I'm not sure whether I should mention LTB963 to them or not.
They initially seemed reluctant to accept there was a fault, but my previous car was an Evoque on which the Auto setting worked perfectly all the time, so I know that this one's not right. Makes no sense to have an auto/ac mode that you have to over-ride in order to get warm air to the upper part of the car.

Andy.

Post #17735263rd Feb 2017 5:28 pm
peteyd

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Mine does the same (MY16 Graphite) when in heating mode. If it is cooling the cabin, the cool air comes out of the middle vents just fine.
 MY16 D4 Graphite in Loire Blue  
Post #17735393rd Feb 2017 5:51 pm
cos192000

Hi,

Andy, yes, I have noticed the same thing: when warming up on Auto there's a lot of air whooshing behind the dash and you would expect it to be blown through the upper vents but it doesn't, it only goes through the lower vents. If I then manually select the lower vents, the same amount of air will blow through the lower vents but there will be no more air noise behind the dash.

Peteyd, same here. When cooling on Auto, the air blows out of the middle vents as I would normally expect it to. It's only when warming on Auto that I get the feet only issue.

Thanks.

Cosmin

Post #17757898th Feb 2017 1:49 pm
cos192000

Hi,

Andy, have you taken your car to the dealer? What did they say/do?

Thanks,

Cosmin

Post #177799413th Feb 2017 12:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >