Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Starting woes....injector?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
The Wild Rover

Starting woes....injector?

Hi there,

here in Germany we're enjoying a very big freeze at the moment. -18 at night Shocked
The problem is my Disco doesn't enjoy it as much as the kids. Starting today was a nightmare. Had to give it five shots or so. Lots of white smoke and very lumpy engine. I had a leaky injector replaced at Christmas. Now I know starting issues are nearly always linked to glow plugs and mine are still the first set (MY 06, 100,000 miles done). They probably should be replaced. I'm just wondering if the dealers did the job with the new injector right, since starting was definitely better before the replacement. The dealer claims there is no prob with the injector. Does a new injector have to be "trained in" or adjusted or is it just plug and play? Could they have messed up the job? Just don't want to spend a bazillion euros on glow plugs only to find out it was the injector..... Sad

Any thoughts? And Happy New Year!!! Thumbs Up

Post #17590256th Jan 2017 5:17 pm
gilesharrison

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

My understanding is that injectors are plug and play. All the compensation is automatic.

I have good glow plugs (all working) but bad injectors. The car will always start first time but with lots of smoke and a lumpy idle initially.

Post #17591536th Jan 2017 8:21 pm
Landy_andy

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Injectors are just fit and forget. If it's starting bad in this weather I'd be looking at glow plugs or get the pre heater working.

Andy

Post #17592306th Jan 2017 10:36 pm
Dave Shirley

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Minus 18 and hard to start???? glow plugs for sure, be brave, warm the engine up to temperature and get them out. If you break them it does not matter if they are already unserviceable. Plenty of firms around now that will get the broken bits out should you snap them off without removing the cyl head, or as someone has already said get your pre-heater working. Good luck and remember it won't cure itself........... Thumbs Up

Post #17592456th Jan 2017 11:10 pm
The Wild Rover

Cheers lads! Thumbs Up

Glow plugs it is so. Keep your fingers crossed they'll come out in one piece.... Confused

Post #17593217th Jan 2017 9:32 am
Dave Shirley

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Let us know how you get on please,fixes are always of interest....... Thumbs Up

Post #17593357th Jan 2017 10:16 am
The Wild Rover

Will do.

Post #17593627th Jan 2017 11:38 am
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I have same issue be interested in results Thumbs Up

Post #17593707th Jan 2017 12:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

as mentioned in another thread, if it's -18°C you really need a remote park heater!

Best to purchase one of these before messing with glowplugs

Post #17593837th Jan 2017 12:30 pm
The Wild Rover

As promised here is the outcome of the story. Not handy enough to fix the problem myself so I found a good indy (hard enough here in Germany) Diagnosed three broken plugs. They went at it carefully. Replaced all 6 plugs, snapped none! Hooray!! Charged me 550 euro and the Disco started first up and ran sweet as a nut this morning at -13. Result! Cheers again for advice.

Post #176755323rd Jan 2017 8:07 am
firthy77

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

Great result and thank for the update Thumbs Up

Post #176755423rd Jan 2017 8:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Pete K wrote:
as mentioned in another thread, if it's -18°C you really need a remote park heater!

Remote park heater is a convenience function and no substitute for working glow plugs, which are used for more than just starting. Setting aside the practicality of needing advanced notice of a journey, the power required from the battery and the reliability of older and unserviced FBH, starting with warm coolant but cold cylinders does carry risk. The atomised fuel charge that recondenses on the cylinder walls is ineffective, so the fuelling is increased to the max in an effort to compensate. Diesel washing down the cylinders ends up in the oil system and reducing its lubricity and viscosity.

Glow plugs are a key part of your engine and if they were easier to change we would all be doing so without a thought. But I wince every time someone suggests using the FBH as a 20 minute substitute for a correctly working engine without highlighting the damage being done.

The Wild Rover wrote:
As promised here is the outcome of the story. Not handy enough to fix the problem myself so I found a good indy (hard enough here in Germany) Diagnosed three broken plugs. They went at it carefully. Replaced all 6 plugs, snapped none! Hooray!! Charged me 550 euro and the Disco started first up and ran sweet as a nut this morning at -13. Result! Cheers again for advice.

Well done - the best outcome.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #176755723rd Jan 2017 8:29 am
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

^ Thanks Robbie it had occurred to me that Diesel was probably getting into the Oil during a poor starting period. Now things are sorted its time for an Oil change as its soon due anyway. Thumbs Up

Post #176756023rd Jan 2017 9:23 am
philm

England 

Robbie wrote:
Pete K wrote:

Remote park heater is a convenience function and no substitute for working glow plugs, which are used for more than just starting. Setting aside the practicality of needing advanced notice of a journey, the power required from the battery and the reliability of older and unserviced FBH, starting with warm coolant but cold cylinders does carry risk. The atomised fuel charge that recondenses on the cylinder walls is ineffective, so the fuelling is increased to the max in an effort to compensate. Diesel washing down the cylinders ends up in the oil system and reducing its lubricity and viscosity.

Glow plugs are a key part of your engine and if they were easier to change we would all be doing so without a thought. But I wince every time someone suggests using the FBH as a 20 minute substitute for a correctly working engine without highlighting the damage being done.

The Wild Rover wrote:

Well done - the best outcome.

Thumbs Up

If the coolant warms the engine, wouldn't the cylinders be at the same temp.
 L633 Defender
Range Rover Velar-gone
Discovery 4 Landmark-gone
Gap IID Tool 

Post #176756623rd Jan 2017 9:41 am
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

No because the coolant can't heat the cylinder in any way like the glow plugs will.

People think the FBH controllers are some magic tool to save changing glow plugs, they're not. You might get away with it in the UK with the milder temperatures but I tried to use mine at -25 in Austria and it was a total failure.

They heat the coolant which reduces the glow plug timing anyway so whatever plugs you do have working become inoperable.

I used my D3 in cold climates so I paid £2k+ to have all 6 changed and never had problems starting again.

As the OP has shown, there is only one proper way to solve the issue.

Post #176756723rd Jan 2017 9:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >