Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

DIY install of FBH timer mod + optional remote
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 12 <123 ... 101112>
What signal did your FBH need to tell it to run?
Mine was W-BUS
86%
 86%  [53]
Mine was OUT
6%
 6%  [4]
Mine didn't work at all
6%
 6%  [4]
Total Votes: 61

olejpres1265

2006 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

dick dastardly wrote:
Read on here that prior to switching off engine, if you max the fan, set to max temp, select fan blowing to upper cabin (screen), choose a long heating time, some warmth will enter the cabin, probably by convection.

I must try this.

Sorry to tell you, but here in Norway we actually do have so cold winter, that my garage here tells me that cars with webasto, that is working, is still not getting the car warm enough. And the owners need to run it for several times after eachother with the result is flat battery, and it does not have enough heating either to get the cabin in the car warm enough. This is in 20 degrees minus, and it happenes most often with people that drives to the grocery store and do not give the car enough time to charge.

The solution here, and has been the last 30 years, is the Defa electric kit, that includes electric fan in cabin, including battery charger and engine heater. The battery charger is not charging full time, only when needed.

I have bought this and I have installed last week. I have tried it and is very happy with it. If you want to check, got to Defa.com.

Post #60793222nd Feb 2010 2:32 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

have just completed installation of webasto t91. wouldnt work at first, no wbus. bought oval timer, wanted to use t91 to switch oval timer. all lovely when i tugged wire too much and busted contact. timer still worked, no instant flame though. then bought a wbus converter from danhag.de. takes constant +ve and converts to wbus or heaters own protocol(webasto). now remote and timer working. downside, getting expensive, upside, can run heater whether car awake or not and temp > 5C. worked today at 10C. now want to use gizmo output to drive fan relay.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #60824122nd Feb 2010 9:33 pm
CJM625

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi all,

Trying to wire in my 1533 timer but cant get the FBH to fire, tried unplugging the power but still nothing.

Does the temp have to be low for it to work? The car has not been started today but the temp is around 20oC at the mo.

Cheers
 2015 BMW i3 REX
2014 Golf GTD DSG 

Post #67380319th Jul 2010 7:49 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

if your firing it from the remote or phoning it ...it dosent matter what temp the car or outside is
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #67380819th Jul 2010 7:57 pm
CJM625

Ok, Im firing it from the 1533 at the mo, I also bought a telestart T70 to go with it but I'll get it working first!

Giving it 10 mins unplugged as I type.

Plugged it back in, pressed the button and its whirring away Very Happy
 2015 BMW i3 REX
2014 Golf GTD DSG 

Post #67381119th Jul 2010 8:01 pm
CJM625

Sorry, I need further help Confused

The FBH kicks in "low fan" then goes into "high fan" mode with "jet fighter sounds" and the exhaust gets hot gasses but then it all stops dead after only one min (ish)?

Thoughts?
 2015 BMW i3 REX
2014 Golf GTD DSG 

Post #67386819th Jul 2010 9:00 pm
Trackman

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

CJM,

Did you get it working?

Suspect the car was shutting it down, make sure the car is asleep, eg doors shut etc.

Ian

Post #6797804th Aug 2010 9:43 pm
CJM625

Yes thanks, it was the webasto telestart I had wired in driving it mad - all good now.

I will get the telestart T70 to work just need to build a simple timer with a relay - will report back once done Wink
 2015 BMW i3 REX
2014 Golf GTD DSG 

Post #6797924th Aug 2010 10:48 pm
fade2grey

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Before I embark on the FBH timer mission, I've gathered just about everything I need (to do it without remote or GSM at the mo)

Am I right in saying that all that's needed is to take the WBUS\OUT signal to Pin2 & then complete a permenant positive circut to the battery & ground via fuse? Reading the instructions (mostly around remote triggered ones) seemed lots more difficult.

One question I do have though is what size wire to use? - 1.6mm is mentioned in one of the pdf's but is that good enough to go back to the battery? If it is, then there's no need to a box etc to put any connections in.

Cheers! Thumbs Up
 56 HSE  
Post #70774124th Oct 2010 3:45 pm
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

-> +ve and -ve you can take direct from the battery and any ground point in the car (go to respective pins on the timer plug) providing you fuse the +ve to 3AMPs max
-> W-Bus OR OUT as you say into pin2 of the FBH (start with the W-Bus, the thread's poll suggest most people have the W-Bus version)
-> remaining OUT (if indeed W-Bus) can be left alone (or used to light a led: it will produce constant 12V +ve while the timer is active)

In my original installation I had used 6-core house alarm cables (I think same diameter as CAT5), no probs at all. Have gone for 1mm2 cable now as I've relocated the timer to the rear of the car. Instructions suggest 3AMP fuse, but I would hazzard a guess the timer draws no more than a few milliamps (never tested TBH Embarassed ) Box is a good idea if you place your timer in the engine bay (with a remote) to keep everything dry and tidy. If you fit the timer in the cabin and secure power to it from the junction box, then you only need one wire to go to pin2 of the FBH, so correct, no need for a box at all.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
 ==> Guide - Inexpensive AV Modification
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #70777824th Oct 2010 4:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fade2grey

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

perfect, thanks biz - so you think cat5 cable would be okay? I've got plenty of that lying around but would have to go shopping for anything else Smile
 56 HSE  
Post #70778224th Oct 2010 4:50 pm
martinwinlow

United Kingdom 
Fuel Pump Connections

Hi - i'm trying to wire up a Thermotop V and am a bit stuck with the fuel pump connections as I got my used TTV without a fuel pump and had to buy one separately.

I gather one pump connection goes to 12v ground (-ve) and the other to pin 5 on the 8-way TTV connector, but which way round?

Could one of you helpful knowledgeable people out there help me out and check your own installation and let me know?

Regards, MW.

Last edited by martinwinlow on 25th Oct 2010 7:51 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #70781124th Oct 2010 5:34 pm
discoBizz

fade2grey wrote:
perfect, thanks biz - so you think cat5 cable would be okay? I've got plenty of that lying around but would have to go shopping for anything else Smile

Should have clarified I was talking timer plug to shockblock (about 30cm worth of it). I'd say it should be good for the W-bus signal BUT you need to be careful with the pin on the FBH end, my alaram cable was slightly too small for comfort and I swapped it for a 1mm2 in the end.

You could probably get away with the power requirements too depending on cable length you'll use (though my timer sat behind a switch, so not on all the time), but TBH I'd recommend going with stapldm's sizings Thumbs Up

My power source was again only about 30cm away from the timer which as I understand is not going to be the case for you...

This and then this may be useful if you want to see what cable to get depending on your lengths Thumbs Up
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #70787724th Oct 2010 7:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Yoorek

Poland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hello Everyone,
At the beginning big thanks to stapldm for detailed instruction.
I have one - perhaps naive -question so far and I haven't find clear answer.
Will fan (from car heating) blow and warm up the cabin by itself when FBH is triggered by oval timer?
If not cabin is still cold until I witch them on manually?
Thanks in advance.
BR
Yoorek

Post #73804028th Dec 2010 10:46 am
discoBizz

Yoorek welcome to the forum!

You are correct, the timer will only fire the FBH. You will then need to manually switch on the vents (after the FBH has warmed up the engine) and get instant warm air in the cabin Thumbs Up
Post #73804328th Dec 2010 10:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 11 of 12 <123 ... 101112>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >