Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

D3 not compatable to LED trailer lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
RetiredBob

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Lawrie50 & LeighW

A frame customised by putting the plate that my hitch is attached to on the underside of the A frame

I did the same as LeighW in my old Trakmaster Nullarbor and it leveled out perfectly. I am due to pick up my new Trakmaster in a couple of weeks and expect to do the same.

As I have said previously I have the shunt installed and it has always worked without any problems.

Regards
 Retired Bob
2005 Disco 3 HSE TDV6 (Dual Battery, Snorkel, Nudge Bar, Kaymar Spare Wheel Carriers, Long Ranger Aux Tank. LED Shunt, Centre Console Cooler, New Tail Shaft, New Gear Box, Rigged for towing) Towing Trakmaster Van as often as possible 

Post #25221328th Jan 2008 9:49 pm
lawrie50

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Two things here Bob, have a look in my gallery and see the Boroma hitch and there are two shots of the D3 towing the van one at normal height and the other at raised off road height. To me it looks like the hitch needs to be raised by the difference in normal and off road to get her reasonably level but please give me your observations. If your hitch mount is different can you post a picture so I have something to work on.
By Led Shunt do you mean the "commercial LED shunt device" or just a resistor or lamp across the led lights? The commercial "shunt" is of course more complex than a simple resistor or lamp and does work but the term Shunt is deceptive as from my observation a simple "Shunt" lamp or resistor didn't work.
 2007 TDV6 SE Towing 22' Boroma Primo Grandinata, Mitchell Bros. Tow Hitch, Bolle Tint, TomTom GoLive 825 GPS.  
Post #25279430th Jan 2008 8:00 am
RetiredBob

Lawrie50

Ahh Yess- can see a problem with reversing the hitch. I have a Hyland Hitch that is completely rotatable. It would not be possible to change yours over. Sorry no pic available as I do not pick up the new van until next week. See the following url for details of the various hitches.

http://www.campertrailers.org/couplings.htm

Re the 'Shunt'. Mine is the commercial type. I purchased it from the inventor/manufacturer at Mittagong and he also did the installation. Mine was the first one off the production line.

Regards
 Retired Bob
2005 Disco 3 HSE TDV6 (Dual Battery, Snorkel, Nudge Bar, Kaymar Spare Wheel Carriers, Long Ranger Aux Tank. LED Shunt, Centre Console Cooler, New Tail Shaft, New Gear Box, Rigged for towing) Towing Trakmaster Van as often as possible 

Post #25306030th Jan 2008 10:16 pm
lawrie50

Ahhh now I see the light. So you have rotated the hitch and mounted it upside down under the mounting plate and that has given you the extra height. Correct? This seems like a doable solution will investigate getting one of them.
Thumbs Up
 2007 TDV6 SE Towing 22' Boroma Primo Grandinata, Mitchell Bros. Tow Hitch, Bolle Tint, TomTom GoLive 825 GPS.  
Post #25314331st Jan 2008 1:58 am
RetiredBob

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Retired Bob

Post #25314931st Jan 2008 5:16 am
pko

England 
re. leds

my caravan is fitted with rear led clusters, & on both my previous D3's I've had no problem & not needed any adaptions. The reason I think why they work ok is because there are also 6 ordinary bulbs in the same road lighting circuit. However, saying that, I picked up my 08 D3 last week & haven't connected the caravan yet, so I don't know if this will still work ok.
 never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

current motor RRsport hse

prev. cars TD5
3 Ford Explorers
2 Ford Mavericks
Sierra 4x4 

Post #25321631st Jan 2008 12:13 pm
lawrie50

I hope you are right pko as its a pain having to fix it. One question, are the normal lamps used in the indicator circuits or sidelights etc? if you haven't seen the flashing on your van let me enlighten you. Its only on the indicator circuits and doesn't effect the other circuits. The flashing is short duration pulses designed so the LR can tell if there are any bulbs blown. There may be some led clusters that are not effected but so far there seems to be no reason why. I did try putting a normal indicator lamp across mine and it had no effect this is why I came up with the circuit. let us know if the new LR still works OK. By the way does the little green trailer symbol illuminate when using the indicators on your van? This also won't work without a decent load along with the automatic muting of the reversing sensors.
Post #25323031st Jan 2008 1:06 pm
pko

England 

Hi lawrie, the six lights are in the sidelight circuit whis is what the leds are also on & there are 4 ordinary bulbs fitted to the indicator circuit.. I haven't seen any lights pulsing, but I will be connecting the new car to the caravan this weekend so will let you know. Also, the green trailer light on the dashboard has worked with the previous D3s but again will let you know this weekend if all is well on the new motor. The leds are Hella with 12 leds in each unit, & there are 2 units fitted.

prev. cars TD5
3 Ford Explorers
2 Ford Mavericks
Sierra 4x4 

Post #25324131st Jan 2008 1:36 pm
lawrie50

Spoken to Mr Hyland himself and picking up hitch on Tuesday from the workshop so hopefully we'll be on the level then. Mr. Green
Post #2535421st Feb 2008 6:10 am
pko

England 
to lawrie50

As promised I have today connected the new car to the caravan & there is no problem at all. The green trailer light comes on when indicators are on, & everything is fine as it has been on my last 2 d3. There are however 8 sidelight which come on with the leds, so perhaps that is the solution. I will be away from comp. for a week or so, but if I can be of assistance when I get back, let me know.

prev. cars TD5
3 Ford Explorers
2 Ford Mavericks
Sierra 4x4 

Post #2540602nd Feb 2008 11:39 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

LeighW wrote:
...I had my A frame customised by putting the plate that my hitch is attached to on the underside of the A frame. This was just about perfect for towing the Bushtracker caravan...

lawrie50, firstly sorry for not answering your earlier post. I say "just about perfect" because I still have to load the van completely and road test it. The only run so far was a week away at Elanda Point near Noosa and the van was very lightly laden.

The overall change in coupling height is just under 150 mm lower. I had the A frame changed from a 100 mm deep one to 150 mm deep. The original coupling was on top of the frame but now the plate to which the AT35 coupling is attached is at the bottom. Will post a photo in my gallery if the rain stops long enough to get a good shot.

I still don't have any LEDs so can't comment on that element. But I read (on another forum) that ADRs do not permit changing incandescent lamps for LEDs without certification of the LEDs. This obviously only refers to changing the tow vehicle's lamps for more efficient LEDs and does not refer to the caravan/trailer etc.
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #2543423rd Feb 2008 11:28 am
lawrie50

Thanks for that Leigh I will await your pictures with interest. The Boroma has the plate under the A frame already and fitting a Hyland hitch to the underside should give me about another 50-70mm of height and should just about put us on the level. Although the van has been nose down it still tows well but I would think that having it on the level has to be better. The Disco is a brilliant tow vehicle and so far I have been impressed with it and the van.
Post #2543553rd Feb 2008 12:30 pm
smwilk

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi all,

Does anyone know whether the attached product (refer link) will stop LED's flashing on a D3. Sounds like it's designed to do the job and at $15.00 is far cheaper than alternatives.

http://www.brightlightautoparts.com/files/LR12.pdf
 TDV6 D3 HSE
Previously D2 TD5 

Post #27940230th Mar 2008 4:09 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Looks like it will only stop the indicators flashing too fast.
I think the test flash would still show.
However I could be wrong.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #27946530th Mar 2008 11:59 am
lawrie50

I doubt these will stop the flashing, they are designed to stop the increased flash rate from a normal flasher unit when you replace the lamps in your vehicle with LEDs as an upgrade. There is a simpler solution than that just buy a proper LED flasher unit.
The high speed flashing on a led equipped caravan being towed by a D3 is due to the bulb check circuitry not the actual indicators and they will still work at full brightness when using the turn signals. As pko has shown "some" LEDs will not flash with the check if equipped with extra bulbs in the circuit but unfortunately this is not universal I tried it with mine and having a lamp in the circuit made no difference so there could be differences in the LED assemblies that allow some to be tamed with just lamps in the circuit OR the resistor mentioned. I see it is a 6 ohm 50W and at 12v would be consuming 24w or much the same as a standard indicator lamp. Would be worth a try but there is no guarantee that it will work. You would of course need one for each left and right indicators so the cost is more than my gadget all ready. Test your van with a 20W lamp in the circuit first that will show if your LEDs can be tamed this way.
Post #27979331st Mar 2008 12:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >