Disco 4 looks dated compared to Disco 5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 12 of 17 <123 ... 111213 ... 151617>
J77

Scotland 

dubbs wrote:
Oh no one needs to explain anything Laughing

We all waste our money however we individually want to Thumbs Up

I'm just glad I've not seen one in the flesh yet as I'm as much as sucker for something shiny as the rest of you Rolling with laughter

Thumbs Up

LR have me by the balls, I get good service from my dealer, which seems a rare thing and are always fair when it comes to trade in, so it makes looking at other vehicles difficult.

Just found out my one is going into build on 10/3/17, it will be close for the new VED. Price increase, a Scotsmans worst nightmare.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #175106219th Dec 2016 1:39 pm
Pollski

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I went in to a dealer last week to get our D5 deposit back which we put down a year ago. We actually had a deposit with two dealers as we were that keen to get a D5 as soon as humanly possible. However ended up with a new Landmark this summer.

The reasons are as follows:

- Our 11 plate was needing 3k worth of work. We would have to spend a couple of k to keep it running until the D5 came out
- Even more depreciation of our old discovery
- We didn't know when the D5 was coming out
- We hadn't seen the D5 in the flesh
- The pricing hadn't come out but it was looking like a £15k increase for the same spec
- Potential issues they may have with the new design.
- The new tax system being introduced on the 1st April 17

The dealer said last week that they were aiming to get the first D5s by 31st March however it was looking decidedly ropey.
I would be extremely Censored about this based on the fact that it is just more cash leaving the account on a yearly basis. The other dealer was extremely hesitant about confirming the D5 would be available until at least the end of April. It definitely helped us make our minds up.

So I'm really glad we got our D4, whether it looks outdated or not. At least it doesn't look like it's parking its butt to take a dump Rolling with laughter (sorry, I'm 45 but sometimes going on 5 !). I think I might of overlooked the back end in the end if we were going to get it sooner. Anyway, the dogs are happy they have their split tailgate and so am I as they do have a tendency to try and jump out.

Really hope those of you get your car on the day stated by the dealer. And when that happens, pics please !
 My16 HSE Landmark - 2016 - Current. Indus Silver
My11 HSE - 2011- 2016. Stornoway Grey 

Post #175205921st Dec 2016 4:28 pm
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

petersw wrote:
If people think Landrover are targeting "city types" why are they making it a better off reader than the D4?
Doesn't make sense.

Makes complete sense. Why are expensive watches designed to withstand 200m and have a load of functions that will never be used so popular? Try doing a marketing course.

And we've yet to see any evidence of this alleged off road superiority. As CAR mag reminded us they took the early D1 to Morocco and the Sahara - epic article. The D5 has so far driven round some fields.

Don't believe the hype. We're still waiting for proper on and off road tests.
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #175215421st Dec 2016 7:54 pm
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Marketing courses are not for me thanks.

Apologies for somehow upsetting/annoying you.

Will make no more comments.
 Peter  
Post #175217421st Dec 2016 8:24 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

ruggedpeak wrote:

And we've yet to see any evidence of this alleged off road superiority. As CAR mag reminded us they took the early D1 to Morocco and the Sahara - epic article. The D5 has so far driven round some fields.

Thank you Thumbs Up

So far, we only really have LR's word for it and that doesn't carry quite the authority that it used to.
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #175236522nd Dec 2016 7:04 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

At the end of the day if you don't like it buy somthing else. But I am sure that LR will sell far more than any of us expect and it will be as good or better off road and on as the D4.
Oh and one last thought I wonder how many people on here who are negate about it will be in one within 5 years. You only have to look back at when the D4 came out and all the negative comments and yet they still sold like hot cakes.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #175238222nd Dec 2016 8:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

ruggedpeak wrote:

We can guarantee it'll be at least as good as the D4 off road. On the same tyres it'll likely be better. It's got developed versions of the D4's TR system, better articulation, more ground clearance, better wading capability.

The one issue that will hold it back is the wheel size. Getting anything more aggressive than an AT on a 20 inch rim is unlikely. The D4 has similar issues, of course. Having said that, with a decent AT I think the D5 will go anywhere anyone is likely to want to take a £50k+ vehicle.

I know it's hard for people to take but the D5 is here and it's going to be very successful. LR have moved on from the D4. Move with them or move elsewhere - that's the choice.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #175241922nd Dec 2016 10:10 am
petersw

Regarding wheel sizes, My Email & reply from Compomotive

Hi I brought a set of PD1881 (18" fitted with ATR's) wheels from you a couple of years ago for my Land Rover Discovery 4. Excellent wheels.

Possibly too early to ask but do you know if they will fit the new Discovery 5 that due out soon?
Looking at the technical information available the discs are the same size on both cars.

Peter

RE: PD 1881
Peter,

Glad your PD’s are giving you good service…

Yes I am 90% sure that this rim will fit onto the Disco 5… should have confirmation early Jan 2017.

Regards Barry

Barry Dixon

by
Compomotive International Limited
 Peter  
Post #175242222nd Dec 2016 10:20 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Russell wrote:
At the end of the day if you don't like it buy somthing else.

Don't worry, I will Smile

Now all we need to agree on is to get the people who want to come on to the D4 site to discuss how dated the D4 looks, alongside the absolutely spiffing D5, to take the conversation over to disco5.co.uk.

They seem to have a grand total of around 600 posts there, against 7,000 in the D5 section alone here; I'm sure that the site would welcome the traffic and you can leave all us "Flat Earthers" (as we've been called) to our beards and beer with twigs in it Wink Rolling Eyes

Post #175245022nd Dec 2016 11:16 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

But this is the D3 site. Wink Shouldn't D4 owners go to the D4 site instead? Rolling Eyes
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Last edited by RRSTDV8 on 22nd Dec 2016 12:01 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #175247022nd Dec 2016 12:00 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

RRSTDV8 wrote:
I know it's hard for people to take but the D5 is here and it's going to be very successful.

It's not hard to take that it's here... but with all due respect, nobody, not even LR, will be able to rate it's true success for at least three years, if not more.

(my screen says disco4.com at the top) Laughing
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #175247322nd Dec 2016 12:00 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Quote:
nobody, not even LR, will be able to rate it's true success for at least three years, if not more.

True.

Quote:
(my screen says disco4.com at the top)

Strange. Mine says disco3.co.uk Confused
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #175247522nd Dec 2016 12:03 pm
petersw

My screen says D4
& this is the designated D5 section Very Happy
 Peter  
Post #175247722nd Dec 2016 12:05 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Red Merle wrote:
Russell wrote:
At the end of the day if you don't like it buy somthing else.

Don't worry, I will Smile

You clearly dont like the D5 so why dont you move on Thumbs Up

Red Merle wrote:
Now all we need to agree on is to get the people who want to come onto the D4 site to discuss how dated the D4 looks, alongside the absolutely spiffing D5, to take the conversation over to disco5.co.uk.

Martin created this place for this discussion if you dont like it can I suggest that you let Martin know. I think you will find that quite a few of us have not come onto this site just to discuss the D5 quite a few of us have been here for a very long time.

Red Merle wrote:
They seem to have a grand total of around 600 posts there, against 7,000 in the D5 section alone here; I'm sure that the site would welcome the traffic and you can leave all us "Flat Earthers" (as we've been called) to our beards and beer with twigs in it

480 of those posts are yours by the way Whistle just saying.

Whats to discuss on the D5 site? the cars have yet to be delivered, I'm sure when it arrives discussions will be in abundance.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #175254222nd Dec 2016 2:23 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

AndrewS wrote:
"480 of those posts are yours by the way"

I know, I know!! Rolling Eyes The problem is that, every third time someone says something idiotic about the D5, I can't help myself! Laughing

I wonder, if I go over to the D2 Forum and tell them how dated their cars are (which I don't believe for a minute, by the way!), would they take offence?..

Post #175255322nd Dec 2016 3:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 12 of 17 <123 ... 111213 ... 151617>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >