DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

4 pot or 6?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Red Merle wrote:
I've just spent a day with the 180 bhp Ingenium engine in a Disco Sport

Are there people out there that are seriously considering paying to exchange their V6 D4 for an Ingenium powered D5?!! Shocked

One day, we may have no choice, but would anyone give up their V6 and volunteer for this? This engine would work very well in a Transit, but in something of this caliber?! Rolling with laughter

Here we go again....why are you assuming the performance of a 240bhp engine is comparable to a 180bhp engine? no one is being forced into doing anything. People will make their own minds up as to what engine suits them. The D5 is no doubt being targeting at new customers who wont know what a TDV6 engine is like and therefore may find the 2.0 wonderful. The V6 D4 is hindered by a significant kerb weight - so the driving characteristics between a 4 pot D5 and 6 pot D4 may not be any different, and even, dare I say, better in the D5. For those that still want a V6 diesel, you still have the option. So in theory everyone should be happy!

Post #173773522nd Nov 2016 10:45 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

So many inaccuracies in such a short space!

The 3.0 V6 in the Disco is built by Ford, to LR spec, in the UK at Dagenham; just as with the Ford built 2.2 in the FL2.

The V6 has snapped cranks (something to do with poorly fitted bearings, I believe). The Ingenium is still very new, so it's impossible to make a direct comparison with an engine that's been around for many years and has clocked up a total of multi-millions of miles in D4's.
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #173776222nd Nov 2016 11:48 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

swansty wrote:
Red Merle wrote:

Are there people out there that are seriously considering paying to exchange their V6 D4 for an Ingenium powered D5?!! Shocked

One day, we may have no choice, but would anyone give up their V6 and volunteer for this? This engine would work very well in a Transit, but in something of this caliber?! Rolling with laughter

Here we go again....why are you assuming the performance of a 240bhp engine is comparable to a 180bhp engine? no one is being forced into doing anything. People will make their own minds up as to what engine suits them. The D5 is no doubt being targeting at new customers who wont know what a TDV6 engine is like and therefore may find the 2.0 wonderful. The V6 D4 is hindered by a significant kerb weight - so the driving characteristics between a 4 pot D5 and 6 pot D4 may not be any different, and even, dare I say, better in the D5. For those that still want a V6 diesel, you still have the option. So in theory everyone should be happy!

BHP figures have nothing to do with the point I was making; it's the sophistication that's lacking in a car of this price.

Still, like you say, people will have the choice.

Post #173776922nd Nov 2016 12:09 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Deanos_Beano wrote:
Makes a lot of sense Rolling Eyes

3.0 snaps crank so opt for a smaller engine ?

Deanos_Beano wrote:
Disco_Mikey wrote:
2.7/3.0 are made by PSA. Both guilty of spun bearings and snapped cranks

2.2 (Freelander 2) is also made by PSA. How often do you hear of them lunching themselves?

I was under the impression you meant the 4 pot D5 and I believe the current iteration of the engine has crankshaft problems , why would the freelander 2 engine be in a D5 ?

Edit freelander is not 3 ton plus either

Just comparing the smaller engine to the bigger engine from the same manufacturer Wink

Indeed, the 4 pot Ingenium is a JLR engine. And the D5 is not 3 tonnes either...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #173777022nd Nov 2016 12:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
petersw

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I'm thinking the D5 gets the "2nd generation 3.0 V6" because of problems although Landrover wouldn't admit it.

"2.3.2 Six-cylinder Td6 diesel

New Discovery is also available with a powerful 258PS 3.0-litre V6 diesel engine, badged Td6. The single-turbo engine features low-pressure exhaust recirculation, a two-stage oil pump and revised fuel-injector nozzle for improved responses, refinement and efficiency.

This latest generation powertrain achieves a seven per cent reduction in CO2 emissions over the previous 256PS Discovery TDV6; down from 203g/km to 189g/km, and is capable of up to 39.2mpg (7.2l/100 km).

The 258PS engine delivers stronger performance than before and the benchmark 0-100km/h sprint takes only 8.1 seconds (0-60mph in 7.7 seconds) – a reduction of 1.3 seconds. With a significant 600Nm of torque on offer, the new Td6 diesel delivers relaxed cruising refinement and towering all-terrain capability."
 Peter  
Post #173777122nd Nov 2016 12:14 pm
Deanos_Beano

England 

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Deanos_Beano wrote:
Makes a lot of sense Rolling Eyes

3.0 snaps crank so opt for a smaller engine ?

Deanos_Beano wrote:
Disco_Mikey wrote:
2.7/3.0 are made by PSA. Both guilty of spun bearings and snapped cranks

2.2 (Freelander 2) is also made by PSA. How often do you hear of them lunching themselves?

I was under the impression you meant the 4 pot D5 and I believe the current iteration of the engine has crankshaft problems , why would the freelander 2 engine be in a D5 ?

Edit freelander is not 3 ton plus either

Just comparing the smaller engine to the bigger engine from the same manufacturer Wink

Indeed, the 4 pot Ingenium is a JLR engine. And the D5 is not 3 tonnes either...

Understood , thought you might have some info other than the staus quo Razz

Post #173777322nd Nov 2016 12:14 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Red Merle wrote:
swansty wrote:
Red Merle wrote:

BHP figures have nothing to do with the point I was making; it's the sophistication that's lacking in a car of this price.

Still, like you say, people will have the choice.

I agree bhp isn't everything but equally you can't compare a disco sport to a disco 5. Not until you have driven the D5 and judged the "sophistication" whatever that means. If you mean it's too small a number (2.0) to be in a premium car, then market forces will take care of that as no one will buy them. If you mean refinement then let's see what the engineers have done though isolation and soundproofing. I'm not saying any of your points are wrong, I'm saying it's too early to be so definitive about them by comparing a different engine in a different car. Keep an open mind and don't dismiss it too early. To be successful LR need to sell cars and if that means offering smaller engine options to appeal to more buyers then so be it.

Post #173781322nd Nov 2016 1:17 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

petersw wrote:
I'm thinking the D5 gets the "2nd generation 3.0 V6" because of problems although Landrover wouldn't admit it.

"2.3.2 Six-cylinder Td6 diesel

New Discovery is also available with a powerful 258PS 3.0-litre V6 diesel engine, badged Td6. The single-turbo engine features low-pressure exhaust recirculation, a two-stage oil pump and revised fuel-injector nozzle for improved responses, refinement and efficiency.

This latest generation powertrain achieves a seven per cent reduction in CO2 emissions over the previous 256PS Discovery TDV6; down from 203g/km to 189g/km, and is capable of up to 39.2mpg (7.2l/100 km).

The 258PS engine delivers stronger performance than before and the benchmark 0-100km/h sprint takes only 8.1 seconds (0-60mph in 7.7 seconds) – a reduction of 1.3 seconds. With a significant 600Nm of torque on offer, the new Td6 diesel delivers relaxed cruising refinement and towering all-terrain capability."

If this is the same 2nd gen 3.0 as fitted to the FFRR/RRS (L405/494) then they still suffer from broken crankshafts...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #173783222nd Nov 2016 1:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

swansty wrote:
I agree bhp isn't everything but equally you can't compare a disco sport to a disco 5. Not until you have driven the D5 and judged the "sophistication" whatever that means. If you mean it's too small a number (2.0) to be in a premium car, then market forces will take care of that as no one will buy them. If you mean refinement then let's see what the engineers have done though isolation and soundproofing. I'm not saying any of your points are wrong, I'm saying it's too early to be so definitive about them by comparing a different engine in a different car. Keep an open mind and don't dismiss it too early. To be successful LR need to sell cars and if that means offering smaller engine options to appeal to more buyers then so be it.

There are many factors, but the lower mean piston speed and overlapping power strokes of a 6-pot will always offer a significant advantage over a 4-pot. The 4-pot has a slightly longer stroke so a higher mean piston speed at the same RPM. Creating a more highly strung engine doesn't normally help either; on paper, the 4-pot and 6-pot aren't miles apart in power and torque, but the 4-pot will be working significantly harder to do the same thing. The V6 will definitely have something to offer over the 4-pot. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #173789522nd Nov 2016 3:32 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Why isn't anyone comparing the PETROL?

Just asking as I was quite excited to see it's a choice Smile
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #173794022nd Nov 2016 5:41 pm
Lucky.Trucker

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

In the past I haven't failed to be impressed by LR s new vehicles once I have driven them . So , maybe I'll hold my judgement until I've driven this new one .
 The older I get the better I was .

LuckyTrucker D3 XS 2009 

Post #173795822nd Nov 2016 6:08 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

dubbs wrote:

If you go onto Autotrader and look up all of the used Freelander 2's, you'll see that there are 2,195 diesels for sale and 16 petrols.

Despite the recent hysteria in the tabloid press about diesel emission (though they seem to have moved on to their next false demon), this is a fair indication of how popular new petrol Land Rovers are in the UK.

Post #173797122nd Nov 2016 6:30 pm
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

dubbs wrote:

+1 Ive been pricing up the petrol and nothing but, doesn't anyone see any appeal for it? Im no expert and have naively assumed the petrol is going to be a better drive (performance not bothered about economy) what am i missing?
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #173798622nd Nov 2016 7:04 pm
Thelo3

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Well I have ordered a petrol Thumbs Up
 D4 HSE Lux - Santorini, Privacy, RLD Protector

D3 Stornaway Grey - Gone but not forgotten. 

Post #173827623rd Nov 2016 12:25 am
J77

Scotland 

It's only .8 of a second quicker than the diesel, also less torque which I presume would mater to those that tow.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #173827923rd Nov 2016 12:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >