DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

G20 - Brexit talks.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Lost for Words wrote:
You support Labour - not their looney left, but a part which clearly values a "social" aspect. You see larger government and laws as the best way to control various issues. You're supportive of a higher rate of tax and take great issue with legal tax avoidance. You're obviously very keen on the EU taking the view that it its interventions and "harmonisations" are for the better. Clearly you aren't anti-business, but you are less inclined to let market forces take their course than I. All that fits perfectly with a mindset that your opinion is not being heard unless it is in a controlled manner and at other times things just have to/should be accepted. Thumbs Up

Wow.... you are almost correct....you should buy a couch for me to lie on. Very Happy

Still sad that you continue to confuse the prominence I place on minutiae issue of a tailgate and the bearing that consumers can have on it's design and production after the fact ...compared to what I worry about with wider life issues that profoundly impact on society. Bizarre.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #17010005th Sep 2016 3:02 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have a sense of perspective and I'm sure you do too; I find it enables me to comment on things however big or small - it's no great hardship to me to make a few passing comments about a tailgate. That's all that really matters. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #17010855th Sep 2016 5:45 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

LT wrote:
Lost for Words wrote:
LT wrote:
Before the referendum, I must have spent half a dozen or so hours reading about trade agreements. I sought out articles by authors who weren't political and had no agenda. Some of them were dated prior to the last general election.

The overwhelming factor was how complex and time consuming these deals were. I gave up before I really understood quite why they should take so long to come to fruition.

People pussy-foot around. If everyone were just frank with each other and just set out their own lines and let each other decide, it would be much easier.

That's why we should just say, "These are what we'll accept into the country, and these are what we have to offer you". Then other nations do the same, and where these interests match, we trade. There should be no twisting people's arms, no payments, no enforcement - all of these things mean false economies.

This is my view on roughly what we should do: We take everything in house and work with any willing countries to lay down their requirements and discuss regulations to identify equivalents - with our regulatory demands kept to a minimum. There's no body of enforcement, only voluntary agreements between nations that allow each nation to set out their customs laws to suit. Anyone would be able to arrange or take part in the ratification of acceptable standards - done either by agreements with other governments, or by our own government acting abroad to grant approvals, or arrangements with the private sector directly with importers and exporters (i.e. you pay/contribute to prove conformity and you can import).

We then trade tariff free with any country on any goods that have been deemed to meet acceptable regulatory requirements, regardless or not of whether the other countries choose to impose tariffs at their end. We apply these requirements at our end with strong customs enforcement. We take resposibility for the goods and services in our country, rather than try to make others do it for us. As an aside, any consequently non-profitable sectors that we should still wish to retain could be supported as a service/investment instead - simply paid for by the gains of free trade, as opposed to the use of protectionist tariffs.

Thumbs Up

I agree, sadly that's not the case though and these deals are closely guarded and take literally years (5+).

That's why we have to do the legwork and make it easy for everyone else, and why we need to approach with a default of free trade rather than seeking out individual deals and only lowering our tariffs once done. We just need to ditch our silly foibles and stop playing tit for tat tariffs. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #17011005th Sep 2016 6:00 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Only £33k a week, I'm genuinely surprised. I'd have thought it would have been more:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/polit...32016.html
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography (now semi-retired) 

Post #17032128th Sep 2016 11:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >