Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Site News & Feedback

Does anybody want a D3 Car Care discussion topic??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Should there be a car care/detailing topic?
No - not really interested
36%
 36%  [19]
Yes - could be interesting
63%
 63%  [33]
Total Votes: 52

BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
DG...

OK
land Rovers get dirty
all cars get dirty
But Disco 3s are bid bold & look good when clean & shiny - just to get them dirty again
strange hobby
but when you see what you have to display (even to yourself) its worth it

We can share best practice....
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #20280813th Sep 2007 8:33 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Doctor Diesel wrote:
Sweeping generalisations of our time No.1 Wink

Hi Doc....after re-reading it, it does kind of sound like that, but that wasn't my intention Whistle

What I meant is that the early D3s were predominantly bought by people who knew what the car would do for them, were faithful to LR and were also probably trading in well-used D2s.

Since that day, LR have improved (or maybe just marketed) the car from an amazing but little-considered (by the general public) 4x4 into one that is winning awards and accolades left, right and centre.

Note that it isn't just winning them off-road as before.....it's also winning them for towing caravans, family holidays, hauling around executives and also being a very capable workhorse. This means that the demographic has changed since the guys with the high post counts bought their D3s and started their Disco3.co.uk career (and I mean this with respect and admiration!)

My comment about 'newer' drivers not going off-road was actually meant to say that in the early days, probably 75% of owners went off-road a lot, whereas with the current high sales figures and the above awards etc, I think we can all probably admit that a lower overall percentage of new owners probably take their cars off-road....

Mods - can you please move this thread to Site Announcements & Feedback?
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #20296914th Sep 2007 7:31 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Moved.

As an early purchaser of the D3, I agree with you. Most of the early examples were bought by enthusiasts who appreciated the Land Rover brand. Mr J Clarkson did more for early sales than any Land Rover advert, when he drove it to the top of a mountain on Top Gear. Certainly convinced me! And yes I traded a D2 that never went off road.

Post #20298114th Sep 2007 8:14 am
PaulP

bump.... Whistle
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #20333814th Sep 2007 11:35 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

WTF is 'detailing'? Confused
Always thought it was sending someone off to do a job you didn't want to do yourself....

On second thoughts, it fits with car washing quite nicely! Wink

Post #20334614th Sep 2007 11:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JMC

Scotland 

10forcash wrote:
WTF is 'detailing'?

I'm keen to see an answer to this too....... WTF Confused
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #20335214th Sep 2007 11:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If you use your toothbrush to clean your wheel nuts, and the inside of your exhaust pipe, then thats known as detailing Wink

Post #20335715th Sep 2007 12:15 am
JMC

Scotland 

I use a toothbrush to clean my teeth (occaisionally)

I use my D3 to drive up mountains...........

Whatever floats your boat I suppose Neutral
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #20335815th Sep 2007 12:17 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I 'might' wash the D3 tomorrow. But it will only be a quick splash. The dead flies are starting to attract more flies.

Post #20336015th Sep 2007 12:20 am
JMC

Scotland 

I think of dead flies as.......'interesting detailing'....... Rolling Eyes Laughing
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #20339815th Sep 2007 10:22 am
Pelyma

England 

Mine goes off road pretty regularly, usually every other week in the winter and yes it is then cleaned thoroughly the next day. I don't think having a dirty car makes you anymore an enthusiast than having a beard and moaning that real LRs only have leaf springs.

My car has to be able to sit on a client's drive monday morning, with me in a suit. If it doesn't float your boat don't read the threads!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #20340915th Sep 2007 11:01 am
JMC

Scotland 

Pelyma wrote:
If it doesn't float your boat don't read the threads!

How are you supposed to know WTF 'it' is, if you don't read the threads? Evil or Very Mad

If YOU had taken the time to read the whole thread, you would see that neither TFC nor myself were fully conversant with the term 'detailing' in the first place. Now that it has been explained (cheers Gareth Wink ) my boat stays in dry-dock and I don't add to the discussion...... Except when someone tells me not to read the damn thread.

Besides......It's Saturday - shouldn't you have your toothbrush out Laughing
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #20341115th Sep 2007 11:17 am
PaulP

Rolling with laughter
If it makes TFC and JMC feel better, I took mine out this morning and got it covered in sh Censored t driving through some old tracks that I found the other day. Even managed to find a stream to pass through on the way back home. Tonight we're staying down the coast and I'll be hitting the mountains tomorrow morning too.

As per Pelyma, tomorrow evening when I get back, it'll then be cleaned and tidied up for another week at work.......he also has a good point (and one that I tried to make in the original post)....just because some people aren't interested doesn't mean that other members shouldn't be encouraged to discuss things that interest them in relation to their D3s.....TBH I'm not that interested in the Morroco trip from last year, but that has it's own forum....I just don't bother reading it Whistle

I do agree that 'Detailing' sounds very annoying though. Thumbs Up

That now makes 17 people interested in the idea of a D3 care/cleaning forum. If I'm not mistaken that is the same number of people who expressed interest in having a Navigation forum before it was created by Martin..... Whistle Wink
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #20341215th Sep 2007 11:28 am
Pelyma

England 

JMC wrote:
Pelyma wrote:
If it doesn't float your boat don't read the threads!

How are you supposed to know WTF 'it' is, if you don't read the threads? Evil or Very Mad

If YOU had taken the time to read the whole thread, you would see that neither TFC nor myself were fully conversant with the term 'detailing' in the first place.

If you read my posts properly and didn't have a king edward on your shoulder you would have realised it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular just the feeling that having a clean car is wrong. I certainly don't detail my car, but I do keep it clean and waxed and I think that if there are some people who do want to go to the n'th degree then let them have a thread. They don't critcise Chris Tyler about his off road mods (not a pop at CT just an example) or the Aussies who want to run their cars at faster speeds in off road height.

We have a very versatile car that attracts alsorts and we should be welcoming them and any potential site revenue that brings rather being frosty (and no I wasn't aiming that at anyone in particular) Many people have come to the site over the years and learnt a huge amount; I've been here longer than most and I know that I have learnt a huge amount and this is another area that we may all learn from.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #20341615th Sep 2007 11:51 am
JMC

Scotland 

Pelyma wrote:
If you read my posts properly and didn't have a king edward on your shoulder

Confused Why would I have a cigar on my shoulder?. Confused

Look, I have nothing against people washing / cleaning their cars. I never suggested this and I wish all those with too many toothbrushes a good day and their own place in the forum. God knows, I have a few cars that I DO clean and keep for shows etc. The D3 just isn't one of them.

Since it seems that Saturday mornings is the time for pontifications, cryptic personal slants and general unfriendliness, I'm off to smoke my shoulder and examine the bugs on the D3. I might even 'detail' one of the Audis, the BMW, or perhaps the bike........ 8)
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #20342115th Sep 2007 12:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >