Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Jacking up....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Slider

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Jacking up....

I have been trying to determine the best practice of jacking up my D4....but opinions seem to vary...suspension up....suspension down...normal....using a 3t trolley and axle stands is it suspension up/down/normal??? Confused anybody give me the right/best way?

Post #164478923rd Apr 2016 10:59 am
DiscoStu

England 

Always used offroad height
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #164481623rd Apr 2016 11:59 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Opps, just got in from swapping out 2 wheels without putting the old girl in OR height. Embarassed Embarassed

Will try to be good next time. But i think I said the same last time. Whistle

Post #164483723rd Apr 2016 12:52 pm
Joncarma

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Funnily enough I've just had 4 new tyres (fitted at ATS). I left it in off road height when handing over the keys. The chap asked me why I'd done so and I commented that I had read that to be best practise somewhere! He said he'd recently been on a Land Rover update course and had been told to lock them in access height for jacking up and wheel changes. I accepted. Not sure what is correct, but they changed the tyres fine!!
 MY2014 Discovery SDV6 HSE
MY2003 Discovery 2 TD5 ES
MY1995 Discovery 300TDI 

Post #164508923rd Apr 2016 9:10 pm
kirkyworld

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have a jack adapter which a local machine shop made for me, it fits in the holes in the chassis rails and also in the top of a standard trolley jack. makes certain it won't ever slip off. I didn't realise you need to put it in any mode to jack, I just had it in standard height when I did my wheels.

Post #164512423rd Apr 2016 9:58 pm
wireworld

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

From the owners manual

WHEEL CHANGING SAFETY

Before raising the vehicle or changing a wheel, make sure that you read and comply with the following warnings:

WARNING
Always find a safe place to stop; off the highway and away from traffic.

WARNING
Do not jack the vehicle if it is over a metal grating or manhole cover.

WARNING
Make sure the vehicle is on firm, level ground.

WARNING
Make sure that the jack is on firm, level ground.

WARNING
Apply the Electric Parking Brake (EPB) and engage Park (P).

WARNING
Make sure the air suspension is set to Off-road height. THE JACK WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BE LOCATED TO THE JACKING POINT WITHOUT DOING THIS.

WARNING
Switch on the hazard warning lamps.

WARNING
Make sure that the front wheels are in the straight ahead position, and engage the steering lock.

WARNING
Disconnect any trailer/caravan from the vehicle.

WARNING
Make sure that all passengers, and animals, are out of the vehicle and in a safe place away from the highway.

WARNING
Place a warning triangle at a suitable distance behind the vehicle, facing towards oncoming traffic.

WARNING
Remove the spare wheel before jacking the vehicle, to avoid destabilising the vehicle, when raised.

WARNING
Never place anything between the jack and the ground, or the jack and the vehicle.

WARNING
WARNING - THAT NO PERSON SHOULD PLACE ANY PORTION OF THEIR BODY UNDER A VEHICLE THAT IS SUPPORTED BY A JACK.

WARNING
Take care when loosening the wheel nuts. The wheel brace may slip off if not properly attached, and the wheel nuts may give way suddenly. Either unexpected movement, may cause an injury.

WARNING
Take care when lifting the spare wheel, and removing the punctured wheel. The wheels are heavy and can cause injuries if not handled correctly.

WARNING
Position the jack from the side of the vehicle, in line with the appropriate jacking point.

WARNING
Do not attempt to raise the vehicle unless the jack head is fully engaged in the jacking point. Only jack the vehicle using the approved jacking points.

WARNING
The jack is designed for wheel changing only. Never work beneath the vehicle with the jack as the only means of support. Always use correctly rated vehicle support stands, before putting any part of your body beneath the vehicle.

WARNING
Always use the complete jacking lever assembly throughout the tyre changing process, to minimise any chance of accidental injury.

WARNING
Do not start or run the engine while the vehicle is supported only by a jack.

Post #164513923rd Apr 2016 10:27 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Or you could just jack each wheel about 3" under each suspension arm while in access mode Whistle

Disclaimer: I've done this twice a year to change from summer to winter tyres and back again for the past 9 years of D3 ownership and on countless other occasions for brake maintenance etc. I haven't been crushed or mashed yet, but this is no guarantee of YOUR safety Thumbs Up

Post #164514423rd Apr 2016 10:32 pm
RBP

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

^^^^

I've always used this method Smile Hope we won't be struck down for disobeying the rule book....

Post #164515123rd Apr 2016 10:45 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

I'll be struck down for not putting the hazards on, and using the chassis & dropping onto an axle stand. Whistle Plus if I placed a warning triangle behind the car it would be in the hall. Shocked

They miss the first thing to do in case of a puncture. Call the AA/RAC/GF/LRA & let them do it. Whistle

Post #164518624th Apr 2016 5:51 am
J77

Scotland 

I favour the LRA method, it works! Laughing
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #164546924th Apr 2016 5:34 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

It's what we pay for. Thumbs Up

Post #164547024th Apr 2016 5:37 pm
EMcC

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

NoDo$h wrote:
Or you could just jack each wheel about 3" under each suspension arm while in access mode Whistle Thumbs Up

I have just given up trying to change the rear wheel on my D4.
Firstly, judging from the LR manual, it looked to me as if the holes in the chassis were too far forward of the wheel I was hoping to lift off the ground. My jack came precariously high without moving the wheel.
I found a hole further back on the chassis but then it would make it difficult/almost impossible, to operate the jack handle, I have a bottle jack as recommended by other LR owners.
I saw the hole in the suspension arm of the wheel and thought - hah Smile that looks good but before I could try it out I had to lower the jack and move it from it's first position.
I undid the screw to lower it as is usual but the jack did not lower so I undid it a bit more !!
Yes, you've guessed it, oil all over the drive and the only good thing was that the jack lowered and I could remove it.
If the jack had been lighter I would have thrown it across the garden, as it is now, it is in the garage waiting for me to decide what to do with it tomorrow.

Post #169216914th Aug 2016 7:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
EMcC

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Well that's it, I gave in and got my local garage to do it for me.

Post #169509322nd Aug 2016 10:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

NoDo$h wrote:
Or you could just jack each wheel about 3" under each suspension arm while in access mode Whistle

Disclaimer: I've done this twice a year to change from summer to winter tyres and back again for the past 9 years of D3 ownership and on countless other occasions for brake maintenance etc. I haven't been crushed or mashed yet, but this is no guarantee of YOUR safety Thumbs Up

+1... This is what i've always done with a bottle jack... No issues on 2 D3's and 4 sets of wheels...
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #169509422nd Aug 2016 10:29 pm
darrener

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4
Ditch the old faithful garage jack then?

I'm new to D3 and air suspension. I set about rotating my wheels with my trusty garage jack -bought when I had a D2. On the rear, following the owners manual, every time I pumped the jack, the air suspension dropped the wheel. I had to give up with the garage jack, as it wouldn't lift high enough.

In the end I resorted to the standard scissor jack, which does go higher, but doesn't give much confidence of stability. I used this on the suspension arms.

A bottlejack looks to be the next purchase. Probably like the one that came with the D2!

Post #169725028th Aug 2016 12:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >