DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Cup Weekend trip - Dargo/Billy Goat Bluff/Millers Hut/Licola
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Cup Weekend trip - Dargo/Billy Goat Bluff/Millers Hut/Licola

All,
Planning a small group trip for Cup Weekend - figure I'd open it up to my new-found-friends on Disco3...

Planned to be a leisurely trip - Saturday morning meet in Dargo, night at the caravan park there, Sunday along the Wonnongatta and up Billy Goat Bluff Track to the Wellington Plains, Sun and Mon nights at Millers Hut nr Tali Karng, and Tues home via Licola.

Any interest - let me know.

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #1999937th Sep 2007 1:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TDMP

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Sounds like a great trip Simon - in fact almost the same trip Ill be doing the week after - Cup weekend = way too busy! Have you booked the caravan park - it might be hard to get in now?

best of luck.
 Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #2000017th Sep 2007 3:48 am
SKP

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds like a great trip Simon, Smile I would like to join you,if possible. Very Happy
I have a friend with a property at Dargo.
We might be able to go there if the caravan park is chockers
Steven

Post #2000067th Sep 2007 4:44 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Simon,

I did this route on my first 4WD trip with the std tyres and all 2.5 years ago.

Billy Goat Bluff Tk was a walk in the park for the D3. Mt Wellington Tk was hard work with lots of loose and big rocks. The camping a Millers Hut isn't the best because there isn't any flat ground - everything seems to be at a slope. The Tk to the Sentinels from the Hut is a duco destroying one - it was very over grown and I gave up after 500m did a 300 pt turn and nearly holed the sidewall on one of the Wranglers when the wheel slipped off a rock and slammed into another sharper rock. I've still not seen Lake Tali Karng Crying or Very sad

Also go to the Pinnacles after you reach the top of Billy Goat Bluff Tk. The views are just magnificent.
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #2000077th Sep 2007 4:51 am
simon_arch1

Thanks for tips PCH! Just one of those areas I love - did one of my first bushwalks into Tali Karng more years ago than I care to remember.

SKP - stay in touch - your Dargo contact could be handy depending on numbers and the caravan park...

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #2000107th Sep 2007 5:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

How I would like to live near the high country, we did that area a couple of years ago, an absolutely magnificent part of the country!!

Post #20263513th Sep 2007 1:53 pm
simon_arch1

All - still planning to do this. Any more takers?

SKP - still interested? I have an old D2 mate who's thinking of coming along too.

cheers,

Simon
Post #2130808th Oct 2007 1:23 pm
SKP

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Simon,
You have a pm.
Steven

Post #21469612th Oct 2007 8:40 pm
simon_arch1

I'm still going... any takers...

Except now - will probably base-camp on the Crooked River, and day trip from there...

cheers,

Simon
Post #21745723rd Oct 2007 6:52 am
TDMP

hi Simon,

I spent a few days last week at Bulltown, down the bottom of the Bulltown Spur track. As the "road closed" signs are still at each end of the Bulltown Spur Track (i.e. coming in from either Grant or Talbotville) there was absolutly no other traffic in the area. Depending on how many vehicles in your group, it was a perfect spot.
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #21940730th Oct 2007 11:01 am
White Disco

Australia 

Plenty of mud to play in boys and girls? Shocked

Just heard 100mm of rain in 24 hours & 60mm more forecast.
Floods in Gippsland again. 2 townships evacuated. Sale is in trouble tomorrow as the Thompson River rises combined with high tides from the Gippsland Lakes.

Source ARTC (Australian Rail Track Corp) fax to me ten min ago.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #2208584th Nov 2007 7:57 am
simon_arch1

Based on: not a lot of takers, a hectic couple of weeks at home and work, and then the forecast... we didn't go - esp as we would have had 5 kids from 5-16 with us - a wise move in the end.

Would have been fun but...!!!! I hope all out there are OK... east gippsland just can't win at the moment...

Simon
Post #2210364th Nov 2007 11:44 pm
TDMP

I was out for a drive yesterday (checking out xmas camping spots) and was following some idiot in a faclone wagon who plowed full speed into about 2 1/2 feet of water over the road near heyfield. Killed his car. D3 to the rescue - and there happened to be a WIN news camera crew following who got it all on camera. Hopefully monty will be on WIN tonight...
(Epicurus BC 341-270) 

Post #2210605th Nov 2007 12:47 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I'm planning on a day trip tomorrow (Cup day) arounf Walhalla.

Just watching the Aberfelby River levels at Breadmore. Was 3.5 m yesterday at its peak last night but is now 2.45m 12 hrs later. Let's hope it will get back down to 0.5 m by tomorrow mid morning otherwise I won't be going.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #2210675th Nov 2007 2:19 am
simon_arch1

We were doing a day trip in the Toolangi area - meeting in Yarra Glen at 9:30 (it is a holiday!) - anyone intersted - planning to have a long bbq, weather permitting and run a sweep on the Cup!

Chris - where are you going? What time?

cheers,

Simon
Post #2210705th Nov 2007 3:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >