DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Right hand side light circuit short
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mattgardiner

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Right hand side light circuit short

Hi all,

I'm running a 2005 Disco 2.7D which I've got a bit stuck with today.

Preliminary MOT checks last weekend revealed a rear brake light which needed replacing. Once replaced today I also found that Fuse F2 was blown (don't know whether it was blown before I started or only after the bulb change was completed) and it blew the replacement as soon as I turned the lights on which I guess suggests a short circuit.

I'll probably go Haynes manual rather than Topix for the wiring diagrams but is anyone able to tell me whether there are any common points at which shorts have developed on other cars in this circuit?

FANTASTIC site btw - what a wealth of knowledge.

Cheers

Matt

Post #159043710th Jan 2016 4:38 pm
mattgardiner

So, for future people with this problem....

Wired a 10A circuit breaker in over the weekend so that I could test this and look for a short without blowing loads of fuses (note - if you take a blown fuse to bits intending to use the connectors and alligator clips to wire stuff into the circuit - be very careful to make sure that you don't damage it to the extent that it snaps of in the fuse box. It's a massive pain and from what I can see from Haynes if you can't grip or pry it out you're going to be taking off pretty much the whole dashboard to get at the fuse box better. My new advice is to just use mini screwdrivers instead). Taking off the rear light cluster did something which got rid of the symptoms - PAIN!! I was unable to either see any obvious wire breaks or recreate the problem despite trying every conceivable position of the cluster that I'd just removed. I put it down to being 'one of those things', put it all back together and crossed my fingers that it would be fine for the MOT next weekend.

My wife drove over to Liverpool yesterday and, because it's a Land Rover, I thought just worthwhile checking that it was still working today. Nope, another blown fuse!!!! AAAAAArrrrrrgggghhhhh!

Circuit breaker connected up again and without any other changes the most I could get to show on the multimeter was 1.3A so whatever the issue was had already resolved itself before I even connected anything up. Took the cluster off anyway and have cleaned all of the bulbs and connecters. I'll buy a couple more fuses which should hopefully at least see it through the MOT on Saturday and then we'll see where we go from there.

Post #159525618th Jan 2016 4:34 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Matt, remove both number plate bulbs and see if it still trips when you switch on. Wink
Number plate bulbs are fused through the nearside lights and should be your first port of call, been there, done that, got the T shirt. Rolling Eyes
They can also, dislodge due to tailgate slamming and cause blowing fuse issues. Rolling Eyes
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #159526818th Jan 2016 5:04 pm
mattgardiner

Thanks Narpy,

Both numberplate bulbs which were working fine the other day were blown today but as you say, they're on the near side tail light circuit and Fuse 4 rather than offside and Fuse 2 where I've got my problems.

Having replaced them, everything runs fine using a circuit breaker instead of a 10A in Fuse2 but that's no different from yesterday and I'm totally clueless as to why they would affect the offside circuit and I still can't get any more than 1.3A running across the Fuse 2 contacts with the lights switched on and a big fat 0A with them switched off no matter what I try.

Only thing for it at the moment seems to be to stick a new fuse in there and see how things go.

Flipping hate electrical faults!!!

Post #159589619th Jan 2016 5:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >