Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Broken down on M5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Sheepy

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Things changed (in your favour) after 1st October 2015. The Consumer Rights Act (replacing the sale of goods act), allows you to reject a second-hand car within 30-days of sale and the dealer MUST give you a full refund. You can reject because of a fault, because the vehicle was not what you'd been led to expect etc (you can't reject because you changed your mind).

After the 30-day period but under six months, you can ask for repair or replacement if a fault was likely to have been present at the point of sale (and pretty much any fault is assumed to have been present if it is "wear and tear" related). After six months you have to prove the fault was present prior to sale.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/pro...-my-rights

My old man just had a nice new turbo fitted to his freelander after I pointed the dealer he'd used to the "Which" website Smile

Post #158502330th Dec 2015 10:32 pm
davidhem

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

Woody, I have sent you a PM,

Sheepy, thanks for the info, I had already taken a look at the new legislation, and I hope I don't have to mention it when I speak to the dealer.

To be fair to the dealer, I have driven the car for about 500 miles before this happened, and there were no signs of any problems until it failed, they seemed a decent bunch, so I'll see how things pan out.

DSL, I am not sure about whether it has had the cam belts done, it has done 93000, obviously they are due to be done due to the age (late 2006), but I have no actual copies of receipts, only the dealer stamps and MOT history, all carried out by the same dealer, I had intended to call them in the new year to get some more detailed paperwork, I think I might try them tomorrow. The car was from Scotland and has been well cared for, but I am sure the dealer just bought through an auction site as they are based in Cheltenham.

I was making a mental list of things to sort out on it as it conked out, so one more thing to add to the list...Get it running.

Here it is pictured at rest in Salcombe next to my mothers trusty mk2, which just seems to keep going.

Post #158504030th Dec 2015 11:10 pm
anglefire

England 

A 2006 should have had cam belts done at least 2years ago. It's 7 years or 105k.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #158515131st Dec 2015 10:23 am
davidhem

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

Update:

So after the car spending sometime with the recovery company due to the New year holidays, it was delivered to the garage last Friday.

They took the battery off as it only had 4v in it and left it on charge over the weekend, they called me this morning to say that when they put the battery on this morning they checked for any faults and found none, which I also found using my iiD tool when I first broke down, they also said there was no oil in the engine!!

They surmised the turbo may have gone but as I was rejecting the car I asked them not to do anything else. They said there was oil on the top of the engine underneath the cover, and there were signs of problems being looked at before.

I then called the dealer (New Barn Cars Ltd in Cheltenham) and explained everything that had happened, after a little haggling about me having to deliver the car back to him, he agreed, to his credit, to refund me in full and arrange for the car to be collected.

I have now been refunded in full, and will put the experience down to bad luck, (although I was lucky it went so quickly after buying it).

So I am again looking for a replacement, I am thinking of increasing my budget and going for an 09/10 D4 HSE with 70k odd miles and getting a decent after market warranty.

I want to say thank you to all of you who replied, I didn't feel quite so alone when stranded on the M5.

Here is the back end of it Sad

Post #159104011th Jan 2016 6:08 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sorry to hear you had issues, but seems like a decent result in the end without too much hassle from the selling garage, which makes a refreshing change. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #159104311th Jan 2016 6:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >