Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Broken down on M5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
davidhem

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

Thanks guys, we managed to get it out of park with a jumper pack (second recovery chap) we have been recovered to their depot and we are taking a hire car home with the disco being delivered home tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help and support, it makes all the difference, now what are my options with regards to the second hand car dealer who sold it me, I have only had it a week!!

Post #158474630th Dec 2015 2:55 pm
MarsKy

Scotland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

Give this a read, but you have good prospects against a legitimate dealer:
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

Post #158477130th Dec 2015 4:44 pm
davidhem

Thanks to everyone on the site, I and my family have just got home driving an old Peugeot 206, it was a bit of a wreck, but it got us home like a trouper.

I am so disappointed, this is the first time I tried a more modern Land Rover in over 10 years, I knew it would be a bit hit and miss reliability wise hence why I bought recovery cover and a IId tool, but 9 days is a record for me, it's weird because the car has obviously been well looked after, so maybe it will be just me being unlucky.

I will call the dealer tomorrow and see what they offer.

Again thanks again everyone who chimed in Thumbs Up

Post #158485630th Dec 2015 7:23 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

You may have just been unlucky and bought it before the alternator decided to pack up. Most of us - who have owned a D3 for any length of time - will have experienced the alternator failure before. It's fairly common on these power-hungry vehicles.

Presume the garage offered some kind of warranty, even if it was only 30 days or so?

If this is what the problem is then I would be looking for them to fund a new alternator (and make sure it is a Genuine/Denso one because cheaper aftermarket ones have also been known to overcharge and cause problems), new battery (because a failing alternator frequently fries the battery as well) and also investigate why you lost power like you did (in tank fuel pump?).

Let us know how you get on. Good luck. Thumbs Up

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #158486730th Dec 2015 7:36 pm
davidhem

Steve

Yes the car came with a three month warranty, but it is one of those third party ones that probably won't pay out anything, citing wear and tear.

I will update here as and when I get any news.

Post #158487130th Dec 2015 7:39 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Check your T&Cs on the warranty for what is covered. Will prob cover alternator, but not battery, go after the seller for the battery under SoG legislation. It was probably chopped because of these problems, you're now picking up the pieces. Lots of reports of new (to new owner) with immediate problems, more likely they were faulty when offloaded.

Post #158487430th Dec 2015 7:43 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Woolmeister wrote:
Battery shouldn't be flat from having the lights on for so long. There's something else afoot if that's the case.

Steve

I would disagree, what did you have switched on, did you have ignition on , headlights, side lights hazards etc, did you have interior lights on as well, and perhaps the radio or may be phones on charge. It does not take long to flatten a battery on a D3 or D4 when you have a number of things turned on.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #158488330th Dec 2015 7:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sydney

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds like a fuelling problem with a dodgy alternator/battery as well.

Would a snapped HPFP belt throw up any error codes?
 De-Tango
V8 Brakes
EGRs blanked
Running boards
3 flash indicators and clock on dash
Blingy grille... 

Post #158488630th Dec 2015 7:54 pm
MarsKy

Scotland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

davidhem wrote:
Steve

Yes the car came with a three month warranty, but it is one of those third party ones that probably won't pay out anything, citing wear and tear.

I will update here as and when I get any news.

Read the Honest John piece. Irrespective of any kind of warranty, if a significant fault occurs within the first 6 months and it was unknown or not made apparent during the purchase, the dealer has to fix or you can reject the car. It includes used cars from a dealer.

Last edited by MarsKy on 30th Dec 2015 8:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #158492730th Dec 2015 8:43 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Yep, if faulty within 6 months then it is presumed that it was faulty on sale, unless can be proved otherwise. Thumbs Up

I think. Whistle

Post #158493230th Dec 2015 8:46 pm
furnitureman

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

New laws were applied recently regarding the sale of any goods and the garage is legally bound to pay you your full purchase price within thirty days of the,sale they are also legally bound to offer a warranty for a minimum of three months even if they say they don't as it was,written into law a couple of months back

Post #158495630th Dec 2015 9:22 pm
davidhem

I am just happy to be in one piece, broken down on the side of the M5 in todays weather was not a nice place to be, it was gunning it down and windy as hell, there was no way we could sit away from the car, plus we had our dog, so I spent the whole time looking in the rear view mirror praying no one would hit us.

With regards to the battery draining, I think there is something wrong there, because as soon as we pulled over, I tried to restart the car and everything dimmed when I turned the car over, the thing is there were no warning lights at all, and the car was producing 14.2 volts the day before as I had the IId tool on it.

I had the flashers, side lights, and used the IId tool a couple of times (ignition on) and also tried to turn it over a couple of times after using the IId tool to see if it had done anything, completely flat in an hour.

I have to say I am a bit disappointed with the IId tool, when I have a check engine light on and the IId tool is showing no faults at all, this was before the battery went really low. maybe I was not using it correctly, but it did turn the EPB off for me, so thats something.

I have decided to keep it, as it really is in very good condition, and has a full service history, but I will see what the dealer is prepared to offer.

Again many thanks to all.

Even with the problems today, I have to say it is a fantastic ride, it handled the Devon lanes with aplomb and was fantastic in the horrible weather today until it stopped working of course. I drive a 911 as a daily driver, the two really complement each other.

Post #158500730th Dec 2015 10:05 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

If there were codes to be read the IID would read them. It's not unknown for the D3 to die at the side of the road and not store any codes.

Post #158501130th Dec 2015 10:10 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Has it had a cam belt done recently ?
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #158501230th Dec 2015 10:11 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
woody32
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 LR3 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

David your cars about 10 units down from my workshop you past my unit on your way in but I was inside working if I had seen this before I would of came out and taken a look for you Thumbs Up

Ps The smoke on first start up is more than likely your glow plugs inoperative,you want to bring that up at the same time when you speak to the garage as that can be an expensive job if they do need doing and they snap Thumbs Up
 Wanted D4s non runners pm for competitive price.
IID Pro MV License - D3/4 RRS - Enabling, Updates,Transmission flushing.
Mobile or workshop,PM for details.

Post #158501930th Dec 2015 10:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >