Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Front brake discs warping, again.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
al cope

England 

now you dont want me telling you this, but..............................

I had the front hubs replaced on mine too - made no difference Big Cry

I wonder which poor sop (soory, D4 owner) has it now?

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #16052025th Feb 2016 3:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Hello,

Although I haven't used himself myself Marcus at Discskimmers.com is very highly rated by many people on the Audi RS forum I am also on.

If you look at his website you'll see all sorts of testimony to him and many main dealers also seem to use him when they are stumped over brake problems.

Might be worth getting him out (he is a mobile service). As I say, not used him myself but on rs246.com he is raved about which matches his website.

http://www.discskimmers.com/

Good luck!

Post #16052385th Feb 2016 3:22 pm
Oxford-boy

...just checked his site and he does Discovery and seems right up your street for a solution (even says he likes a challenge!).

Please post if you use him and let me know, I intend to use him to skim the RS4 when the discs get low so any feedback on LR would be good.

Post #16052445th Feb 2016 3:30 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks O-B, but the D4 was first registered in March 2015, so has to stay in the LR system under the warranty. I can't see LR "subbing" out the work to an indie. Useful contact though. Thumbs Up

BTW, Ryan, the LRCS contact for the forum, has been extremely helpful since I got him involved in this case.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #16052475th Feb 2016 3:32 pm
Pelyma

England 

LT wrote:
Hi Paul. Yes it's on a PCP with Land Rover finance (can't recall who runs that of the top of my head). This means that they, not me, are the owner. Which will complicates the matter if I go down the formal rejection route.

I think it strengthens your case, give it back to them to sort out. All he rejection cases I have seen actually carried through have been financed cars.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #16052485th Feb 2016 3:35 pm
Oxford-boy

Understand that for sure but when you (as I am sure you have..) read some of the dealer testimony on his site you may even find that LRCS will want his view. I'd be tempted to arrange him to attend your dealer (which he does it seems) and get him to advise them.

Of course you don't want to void the warranty but I think he's worth a shot, as I say the Audi RS scene rave about him and there are big problems with the RS models if you don't bed the brakes in within the first 300 miles and they warp.

I'll rest my view now!

Good luck

Post #16052545th Feb 2016 3:38 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

al cope wrote:
now you dont want me telling you this, but..............................

I had the front hubs replaced on mine too - made no difference Big Cry

I wonder which poor sop (soory, D4 owner) has it now?

Al

Shocked Big Cry

If this doesn't work, I'll have given the dealers more than sufficient opportunity to remedy the problem and I'll be formally rejecting the vehicle. Which would be a shame, as now the inevitable new Disco minor teething problems have been sorted (boot shut adjustment, rattling headliner, rear sun blind flying open), it's a cracking vehicle.

Post #16052555th Feb 2016 3:39 pm
LT

Pelyma wrote:
LT wrote:
Hi Paul. Yes it's on a PCP with Land Rover finance (can't recall who runs that of the top of my head). This means that they, not me, are the owner. Which will complicates the matter if I go down the formal rejection route.

I think it strengthens your case, give it back to them to sort out. All he rejection cases I have seen actually carried through have been financed cars.

Defo. the next stage if the discs warp again. Thumbs Up

Post #16052585th Feb 2016 3:41 pm
LT

Oxford-boy wrote:
Understand that for sure but when you (as I am sure you have..) read some of the dealer testimony on his site you may even find that LRCS will want his view. I'd be tempted to arrange him to attend your dealer (which he does it seems) and get him to advise them.

Of course you don't want to void the warranty but I think he's worth a shot, as I say the Audi RS scene rave about him and there are big problems with the RS models if you don't bed the brakes in within the first 300 miles and they warp.

I'll rest my view now!

Good luck

I appreciate what you're saying, but he'd want to be paid and I can almost guarantee that LR would not entertain it and I'm certainly not going to be paying anyone. This is the final chance that LR have to fix it!

Post #16052615th Feb 2016 3:43 pm
LT

The dreaded steering wheel judder returned a couple of weeks ago and the Tuesday before last I took it back to the dealers. Having previously spoken to the Dealer Principal.

A Technician drove it to confirm that the discs were warped, but as there were no Discovery's available to lend, it was agreed that they'd fit new pads and discs (the 4th set now). Mileage was 21,400.

So I'm hoping that I'll soon be given a new D4, which will have to be a Landmark now. I don't mind making a small financial contribution towards this, but I don't want or even actually like the extras that the Landmark has over my current spec. HSE.

I just hope that LR will be sensible about this and that I don't have to resort to taking legal action.

It's a real mystery as to why this keeps happening, but one that I'll not be solving!

Post #164808129th Apr 2016 6:19 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

There is definitely a problem with the D4 front discs. Others have had issues as well. Mine warped and I replaced with after market. I think they are made by Brembo but they have a cheap OEM line and it is crap.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #164822130th Apr 2016 2:23 am
LT

Finally this sorry tale has reached a conclusion.

I'm accepting an offer that I'm happy with. It's taken far too long and an apology from LR would have been nice. Although, LR Financial Services (a subsidiary of Black Horse) have been very courteous and efficient. They sorted out the deal with LR, with whom I was just going around and around in circles with.

I can only guess why it continues to warp the front discs or at least the n/s one. The hubs have been replaced, so perhaps the fault lies with the calipers. Although there has never been any build up of heat, so they are not sticking. The tyres have worn completely evenly. A weird one for sure, but not my problem anymore.

Now to finalise the deal on a new Landmark. Then strip out all the LED bulbs, take off the sump guard and RLD spare wheel protector etc.

Post #167099021st Jun 2016 9:49 pm
cornishboy

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

HI LT,

How long between the discs warping? I have had 3 sets of discs now. Went to LR and replaced hubs and new discs/pads. I have done approx 2K miles since and I think there is now a return of a slight judder when braking from speed......

Post #167237624th Jun 2016 5:39 pm
armalites

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

It is very unlikely that the discs are warping, it more likely pad material transfer which will give the same symptoms. We are not talking about skinny little discs on a Metro, D4 discs are big heavy things it would take a substantial amount of heat warp them. Driving style can influence the pad transfer and this explains why some have no issues and others go through multiple sets of disc and pads.

This article explains it
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/...ther-myths

This article explains a method of removing the deposits, it mentions special pads but I have done it on vehicle with the normal pads and it cured the vibration, admittedly it wasn't a D4 and it's difficult to find somewhere you can do it safely.
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/...it-removal
 IID PRO
MSV Extreme
Nanocom One 

Post #167244724th Jun 2016 8:10 pm
LT

Cornishboy-Approx every 5k miles. Although very dependent on type of use. If I did less motorway miles I'd expect it to be more like every 3k mile.

armalites-Good article. Not the case here though. Neither is it might driving style. I've spent many thousands of pounds in the past on AP Racing brakes and know how to look after discs. My previous three Disco's never had any brake issues. Thumbs Up

Post #167266925th Jun 2016 12:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >