Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Crankshaft Position Sensor and Pick Up Ring
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 
Crankshaft Position Sensor and Pick Up Ring

Hi to all, my first post, although I've been reading up on things for a while.

Okay, I think I might know the answer to this one, but it would be good to get your opinion, my wife's D4 had a minor hiatus this evening. She was stopped at traffic lights, when the electrics seemingly died, the park brake came on and the rotary knob retracted. Tried three times to restart it, but although it apparently turned, it didn't catch. Then the forth time it did. The amber warning triangle light came on and it read gearbox fault. She drove off and the warning light disappeared as quick as it appeared.

I've started the car since and no apparent problems. What people's opinion on what's going on? I favour the battery, but all views appreciated. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Someone-Gone on 24th Dec 2015 10:43 am. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #158117821st Dec 2015 9:18 pm
Nikki

Australia 

Try a CTEC charger to show the state of your battery

Post #158134722nd Dec 2015 8:49 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Thank you for the reply. Your reading my mind. I did think Ctek, I lent it out a couple of months ago and haven't got it back yet. Rolling Eyes

The wife is off in the car this morning with strict instructions on what to do if it packs in again. Also told to watch putting on every electrical switch known to man - tends to drive with thing like the heated seats, heated steering wheel, heater on full blast all the time.

She says she is as well using it rather than using one of the other cars. Hiding it in the garage isn't going to get to the root of the problem, if there is one.

It's been a good car, purchased new, just over 3 years old, so don't think it's anything much to worry about. It's just a pain if it's going to break down at a busy roundabout.

Post #158135822nd Dec 2015 9:21 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hiding it in the garage at this time of year without a Ctek charger attached is the root of your problem Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #158136222nd Dec 2015 9:27 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

I think your right. Thumbs Up

Post #158136822nd Dec 2015 9:33 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Okay, same problem happened today. The AA came out and connected it up to their computer. Told her it was th Crankshaft Position Sensor, so got left at the LR main dealer. They can't touch it until tomorrow. I know there's a LTB0680 connected with this problem. The car is probably within the VIN range. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. The sensor isn't a big job, the associated TSB, if it applies, could be.

Post #158145522nd Dec 2015 12:55 pm
motolite

Australia 

Good luck with it Thumbs Up merry xmas Smile

Post #158170722nd Dec 2015 8:59 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Update, it needs a new crankshaft. How that happened in anyone's guess. Evidently comes in two bits, looking at £1,420.20 all including parts, 7 hours labour and VAT. Won't be done until the new year. Can't say I am desperately happy about a vehicle that she's had from new, only got 33k on the clock, always been main dealer serviced, 3 months out of warranty, but hey ho, that's life.

Think I will have to have get onto LRCS and see if a goodwill gesture is forthcoming. I can't be aCensoredd with all the trouble, the waiting, perhaps it's only the start of more trouble etc. Sort of tempted to let the dealership have it and get a new Disco Sport if they have one handy. Very Happy

Post #158206623rd Dec 2015 6:47 pm
motolite

Australia 

I would have thought that 3 months out of warranty any goodwill would be forthcoming without any pushing. I'm a bit naive that way Smile

The Sport looks nice and shiny and I can see how you're tempted,but I'd drive one first.
good luck Thumbs Up

Post #158209123rd Dec 2015 7:21 pm
Tambo

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I think you need to get in touch with the LR magician who is right on your doorstep-
Disco Mikey
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/member-disco_mikey.html

Post #158209723rd Dec 2015 7:28 pm
Rockpaperscissors

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Dundonian

Are they sure its the crankshaft 100% only reason I ask is I had the same thing happen to me back a few months ago. all be it on a D3 so not sure if the engines are massively different??

Mine turned out to be a broken tensioner pulley caught it in the nick of time but it also showed up a crankshaft fault....LR wanted £2k to drop the gear box.

RPS

Post #158211323rd Dec 2015 7:42 pm
Nick Evans

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

A crankshaft won't be in 2 bits, well a new one won't be, the old one on the other hand could be but you certainly wouldn't be getting it replaced for £1470, I'm pretty sure you can't even buy a D4 crank from Land Rover at the moment!

Post #158214423rd Dec 2015 8:36 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Take your point, I took it from what was said that there was two major elements to the repair and they were quoting me for both parts when it may be just the one that needs replaced if that make sense. She said crankshaft, but might have meant something related to it, heaven knows.

Unfortunately, it was the receptionist that phoned, I asked some questions, but it fell on deaf ears, she didn't have the knowledge and there was no one else available. I confirmed the price was accurate that said and she had it written down to the penny. I didn't think it was too bad, from other posts, I was looking at £1,700 plus depending on what needed replaced. Didn't tell them that!

I will pop in tomorrow or next week and get the low down. It's not so much the cost, rather than the problem of loosing the big car this time of year and what ever has gone, shouldn't. Cars been good up to now.

Post #158216423rd Dec 2015 9:10 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

cant believe its crankshaft......whats duff about it....doesn't sound right to me

Post #158216723rd Dec 2015 9:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Yes, would have had Disco Mikey or another Indy have a pop, but it's been one dealer maintained/serviced car, so if I use the same dealer for this, it's more likely I might get a goodwill gesture? I am not counting my chickens, but like you I'd have thourght it's likely LR might offer to fund all or part of the cost? but hey, I ain't going to loose any sleep over it.

Still tempted to just go for the Disco Sport. See what they have in the showroom. One life, live it. Laughing who knows, could come out with one of those silly looking convertible Evoques - NOT!

Whatever it is, can't have been too catastrophic as it was cutting out rather than seized. Still a reasonably large bill I suppose.

Post #158216823rd Dec 2015 9:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >