Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Crankshaft Position Sensor and Pick Up Ring
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
MGCarr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Like Rockpaperscissors, I am sceptical about what your dealer is telling you, although £1420 on a just out of warranty car is an awful lot of money, it does not feel anything like what a new crankshaft, supplied and fitted by a dealer, would cost normally. I think that there are a couple of possibilities,

1) It is a new crankshaft and the dealer has already got a contribution out of LRCS

2) It not the actual crankshaft that is at fault but the sensor ring that is pressed onto the back end of the crankshaft without any locating dowels which has moved, this would tie in with the AA's diagnosis of a faulty crankshaft position sensor. If this is the case then if I was you I would be having firm words with LRCS as this is not a component that would wear out it was either incorrectly fitted from new or it was a poor component that was not a sufficiently tight interference fit in the first place. It is also IMHO a fairly cr Censored p piece of penny pinching design.

3) It is as Rockpaperscissors has suggested some other component, such as the cam tensioner, in the engine timing system that is causing the engine ECU to see the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors to be out of sync with each other.

I know this is aggravation that nobody wants especially at Christmas and I sympathise but Christmas Eve could be a good time to bend someone at LRCS's ear and get a substantial contribution out of them.

Good luck and all the best for Christmas and the new year.

1997 Defender 90 for the kids and I to have a go at some competitive off road RTV and Tyro trials, daughter picked up her first trophy over the August Bank Holiday.
Previous Land Rover history
1996 P38 4.6 V8 Autobiography
1996 Discovery TDi 300
1972 Range Rover 3.5 V8
LWB Hard Top Series 3
LWB Truck Cab Series 2A
Not been without a Land Rover for over 40 years - I must need therapy! 

Post #158216923rd Dec 2015 10:24 pm
MGCarr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Oops slow typing, I see lots of other sceptics have joined in while I was composing my post Very Happy Embarassed

1997 Defender 90 for the kids and I to have a go at some competitive off road RTV and Tyro trials, daughter picked up her first trophy over the August Bank Holiday.
Previous Land Rover history
1996 P38 4.6 V8 Autobiography
1996 Discovery TDi 300
1972 Range Rover 3.5 V8
LWB Hard Top Series 3
LWB Truck Cab Series 2A
Not been without a Land Rover for over 40 years - I must need therapy! 

Post #158217023rd Dec 2015 10:26 pm
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Yes, thanks for the support, it's appreciated. I will maybe pop in tomorrow and see if I can get to the bottom of this. It's just with everything else, I might not get the time until next week, plus the service manager is on holiday until then. I was told they had ordered the bits, so will ask them what exactly. When she rang, it was late and as I said, no one else available to speak to. Like most people, I have a 1001 things to do, so it's not upper most in my mind. Yes, will speak with LRCS as well. Thumbs Up and update the post, I am sure we'd all like to know what the problem is exactly.

Post #158217123rd Dec 2015 10:30 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

It does sound like it is either the crank sensor or trigger wheel, as opposed to an actual broken crankshaft Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #158218523rd Dec 2015 11:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Yep, you are right, that's exactly what it is. I went into the main dealership today and got a hold of the service managers second in command and the DP, who said I should phone LRCS. Got home, the AA phoned and they told me to get a hold of LRCS as well.

Long story short, I phoned LRCS just now and a very helpful lady said the dealership normally phones, but they would contact them directly and get back to me, so we will see what happens.

Update - LRCS phoned back. I mentioned the TSB re pick up wheel. They asked me about how many LR cars I'd had from new - 4 and said they look at a contribution, but that it had to be authorised and that they'd update me when this was done, but she wasn't back until 4th January.

I appreciate its voluntary as the car is 3 months out of warranty, but there's obviously an inherent problem with the pick up ring if they have a TSB out on it. It would have been nice to have got a decision before entering the Christmas and New Year spell.

If they don't react kindly, then ....... Whistle

Post #158232424th Dec 2015 11:42 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Well LRCS have excelled themselves, they are paying the whole bill. Thumbs Up think I will buy a lottery ticket tonight!

Post #158242924th Dec 2015 3:43 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Excellent.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #158243924th Dec 2015 3:54 pm
motolite

Australia 

A good result. Thumbs Up

Since your dealer initially told you it was a broken crank,perhaps you should find a new dealer Whistle

Post #158264124th Dec 2015 9:33 pm
Disco_Mikey

Having done my apprenticeship at the dealership in question, it is more likely an honest mistake due to loss of communication between technician, foreman and service reception

It happened then, and it still happens now Whistle
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #158267624th Dec 2015 10:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Sounds about right. The Receptionist tried to blend into the background when I came in this morning, so I think the mistake was realised, but it would have been in good faith, no point in making their Christmas Eve Hell, just smile sweetly and wish them a Happy Christmas.

Hey, I got what I wanted - no bill, I'd have been happy with half in good faith truth be told. Still think I will change the car. Just need a bit of snow for the trade in prices to rise. They had a couple of manual Sports, not much good, want an auto. Told they couldn't sell them anyway, they have to keep display cars and there was a 4 month wait for the autos. Rolling Eyes

Post #158271424th Dec 2015 11:08 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

The Dundonian wrote:
The sensor isn't a big job, the associated TSB, if it applies, could be.

Bit of holy thread resurrection Batman but does anyone have details/number/PDF of this TSB?

Post #17867954th Mar 2017 12:49 pm
Disco_Mikey

Different details for the D4 Del Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #17868504th Mar 2017 2:51 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

This is all getting far to complicated for me, brain is a bit like mush at the mo. Sad

Just reread the first bit, don't know why I thought it was a D3. Embarassed

Post #17868634th Mar 2017 3:11 pm
Kosio2001

Germany 

Hi, I'm new here and hope someone can help me. I am the proud owner of a 2015 Land Rover Range Rover Sport with a 3.0 SDV6 215KW engine. I bought the car with a blocked crankshaft after the repair that I did, the engine runs great, but it keeps recording the same error, namely P0336-29. There are no lights on the dashboard and the car always starts fine. A little information about repairs and replacement parts on the engine. New Crankshaft, new crankshaft sensor, new crankshaft ring, new camshaft sensor, I tried new cables from the ecu to the crankshaft sensor as well with a new ecu but unfortunately nothing helped. The error continues to log and sometimes there is a very slight cutoff between 1000 and 1800 rpm as well as a slight vibration in the cabin at Idle. I am posting a few files with the Information which I receive from JLR SDD. Thanks in advance. Have a nice day.

Post #23416439th Jul 2023 9:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >