Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Fuel Consumption 4.0Lt V6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
MarkTaylor

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Last weekend I drove from Brisbane to Rockhampton & Mt Morgan and back in the V6 petrol and averaged 12.9 for the whole trip. I'm really pleased with this as the car was heavily loaded and a lot of the road is hilly with lots of winds which makes you vary the speed a lot. Our cruise speed was 110 on the GPS (around 1114 on the speedo).

Going up we ran on ULP and changed to PULP on the way back.. the PULP did improve the fuel consumption by around 0.9 litres per 100.

Cheers

Mark T.

P.S. Is there a chip available for the V6?
 Nothing of any value is ever achieved without some sacrifice.  
Post #20112410th Sep 2007 2:03 am
PierreJ

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I also ran down to Margaret River last weekend with an average fuel consumption of 12.5l/100km. I am really pleased, as my D2 V8 auto(sold) ran at 22.5l/100km, and did not have the power of the V6.

My D90 Td5(Also Sold) was also around the same mark as the V6, so I am really impressed.

Personally I would not even consider a chip, as the power is sufficient, and the fuel consumption is great.

My 2c's worth. Very Happy

Regards,
Pierre
 Why is the fear of long words called hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?  
Post #20112910th Sep 2007 5:58 am
Andy V6SE

Australia 

Going to Adelaide and Kangaroo Island from Melbourne in 2 weeks time.

I'll post the results when I'm back~~ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post #20116710th Sep 2007 8:53 am
Petern

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Thanks for the comments I did weigh up the Petrol vs Diesel vs cost when I purchased and the numbers came out right for the petrol. It just that I'm not getting much better than 8.3 MPG around town (Sydney) and 12.8 on the highway Regular trips to the south coast. So I was a bit disappointed and I had a 5 series Bimmer Stationwagon before hence the interest in a bit more grunt, took a bit of getting used to the difference.

I'm getting use to it and all other aspects of the outweigh it anyhow. I look for any excuse to get in it for a drive now So thanks for the comments.

I'm planning a quick turnaround trip to Brisbane and back in a couple of weekends time, I will be interested to see how it goes then.
 Always wanted one now I have one I have to convince my wife its ok  
Post #20214512th Sep 2007 1:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MarkTaylor

Your consumption figures sound a bit high... my worst has been 13.99 mpg on ULP or 14.13 mpg on PULP. The best i have ever had on the highway is 24.28 MPG on PULP.

Is your V6 run in yet?

Cheers

Mark Taylor
Post #20244013th Sep 2007 6:13 am
MarkTaylor

Your consumption figures sound a bit high... my worst has been 13.99 mpg on ULP or 14.13 mpg on PULP. The best i have ever had on the highway is 24.28 MPG on PULP.

Is your V6 run in yet?

Cheers

Mark Taylor
Post #20244113th Sep 2007 6:14 am
Petern

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

yes it is a bit high but now that I have over 6000kms on it I'm hoping that it will pick up a bit. Decided though that I',m not going to worry to much about it and just enjoy the drive.
 Always wanted one now I have one I have to convince my wife its ok  
Post #20260113th Sep 2007 12:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MarkTaylor

Yes, well I'm with you. We also have a BMW Z4 which goes like the wind.. but for a long trip I prefer the D3.. just magic for touring.

I don't worry about the fuel costs.. at the end of a year it's stuff all difference really.

Cheers

Mark T
Post #20296314th Sep 2007 5:27 am
Andy V6SE

Australia 

Just returned from a Melbourne-Adelaide-Kangaroo Island-Adelaide-Melbourne trip. Drove 2550km in 5 days.

The average consumption is 12.78L/100km or 22.1mpg (British Std.).

Interestingly, on the way back to Melbourne, the strong tail wind with a bit help from semi-trucks, the trip computer showed a range >810km Shocked Shocked Shocked In fact, when I stopped for refuel just outside Adelaide, my consumption was under 10L/100km! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I was on unlead petrol for the last ~850km of the trip.

Very rare for V6 petrol Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #20959229th Sep 2007 6:59 am
welcomecreek

Australia 
LPG on V6 D3?

Has anyone put LPG on a 4 litre V6 D3. If so, how has it worked out? Was it a straightforward conversion? Roughly what does it cost? Where did you put the LPG tanks, and how much capacity did you get?

Thanks,

Willem.
 www.AussieSheepskin.com
Australian craftsman made UGG boots, Plus! 

Post #22433815th Nov 2007 1:50 am
PierreJ

Hi Willem,

I made enquiries at a couple of places, as we get a $3000 government rebate here in WA, and it would have another option instead of going the long range tank option,

All enquiries were negative, and they said it is not available, nor will be very soon for D3's. Probably not so much in demand as Bruisers and Patrools.

Regards,
Pierre
Post #22441115th Nov 2007 11:51 am
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

PierreJ wrote:

All enquiries were negative, and they said it is not available, nor will be very soon for D3's. Probably not so much in demand as Bruisers and Patrools.

Regards,
Pierre

I haven't makde any enquires about LPG conversion yet, however I thought seeing as the V6 pertol is straight out of the Ford Explorer, (which has been around since "cocky was an egg") a system must surely be available! . What else needs to be available to fit a LPG system to the D3? (I suppose the ECU needs to be amended??) LPG tanks are available in the shape of "spare wheel" so should fit under nicely. just need to get a swing away carrier and bob's your uncle! Is this too simple?
Moby
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #22455315th Nov 2007 10:11 pm
PierreJ

Is it not the same motor that goes into the 4.0 V6 Ranger as well? Are there LPG conversions for that?
Post #22468216th Nov 2007 7:24 am
Drive cosy

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi all, first post and all that. Very Happy

We took delivery of our Disco last week and I have to say I'm very satisfied with the performance of the 4.0. The power delivery through the ZF box is seamless. A quick run up the mountains on the weekend gave around 12L/100km which is more than acceptable given the amount of metal being hauled around. Seems to be doing ~15L/100km with mixed driving, just as LR said it would.

This is the most comfortable touring car I've owned. After a 2 hour drive it felt like I'd just driven up to the shops to get milk. Can't wait to do some more touring in it (just have to pry the keys from my wife's tenacious grip!!).

Only issue I've had with it so far is the tow bar....What the!!!!?!?!?!?!?!??! Rolling with laughter

For such a well executed design package this thing is a joke. I'd love to know what they were thinking. I'd put good money on the time stamp on the blueprints being about 4.57pm on a Friday with the approval being signed off at 4.59. Or maybe they realised at the celebratory booze up for the finished product they'd forgotten about the tow bar. Quick dash back to the office, get out some crayons, and voila! Laughing

Post #22541919th Nov 2007 12:03 am
PierreJ

Drive cosy wrote:
Only issue I've had with it so far is the tow bar....What the!!!!?!?!?!?!?!??! Rolling with laughter

Welcome to the forum. Very Happy

ADR had some changes which are unique to Aus. I can think of two, towbar and mudflaps.

V6 is a great vehicle, and fuel consumption more than reasonable. I think the ZF box can take a lot of credit for this.
Post #22543719th Nov 2007 2:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >