DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Heater fan stops working
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Dogmatix01

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 3
Heater fan stops working

Hi all,

the fan in my Disco's aircon works fine for a while and then just stops running.
I can twaddle about all I like with the the temperature knobs, fan speed control, on/off buttons, etc but they make no difference.
If I stop and turn off the ignition and leave it for a few seconds, then turn the ignition back on the fan starts working again. Rolling Eyes
Can anyone suggest what's going on with it?
It's getting to the time of year I really need it to work properly.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Post #136219721st Oct 2014 10:18 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Blower motor control module perhaps?

This link into my gallery has a number of pdf's related to the heating and AC systems. Off hand, I cannot think of anything in particular that is the solution to your problem.

There is a fan speed module up beside the fan that others seem to often replace but that is usually for when the fan stops completely but the motor still works. The 7 page pdf circuit files in the link below will help you find the sort of "relay" called on page 52 a Control Module - Blower motor - Front (D258).

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=30300
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #136282522nd Oct 2014 11:54 pm
Dogmatix01

Thanks buyer.

I'll take a look. Any help is appreciated as I haven't a clue where to start.
The controls all appear to work perfectly, just the fan doesn't start.
The fact I can turn off the ignition and back on again and it starts working makes me think it could be an electronic problem.
Thanks again for the response, I'll let you know how it goes.
Dave

Post #136283923rd Oct 2014 2:33 am
bbyer

relay R16 in engine compartment fuse box

I just remembered relay R16 and 40 amp fusible link FL12, also in the engine compartment fuse box.

Relay R16, the front fan relay could be acting up. It is not unheard of either and is an easy fix so hope that is the problem.

Fusible Link FL12 is probably OK. Relay R16 shows as R176 on that pdf I referred to; the fusible link is also indicated but for the most part, those either conduct or they do not.

If you have the rear heater setup, relay R10 operates that so just switch relays assuming the rear heater fan operates OK. If it does, that suggests a not computer problem but something like wiring related to the front fan only.

If no spare so to speak, it may be time to purchase a spare relay. I suggest genuine Land Rover as there are some spark/voltage spike soakup bits inside the LR relays to protect the computers.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #136284223rd Oct 2014 3:12 am
F355GTS

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Mine was the relay, everything looked Ok on the HVAC panel but no air,

swap the relay with the starter relay next door (same rating) to prove then replace the defective one
 Mark  
Post #136287223rd Oct 2014 8:40 am
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Must check that relay so. Thanks for the info Thumbs Up
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #136288223rd Oct 2014 8:57 am
VMatas

Poland 

You may need check a thermofuse inside in blower control module too...

Post #136292123rd Oct 2014 10:14 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Always do the cheap stuff first - swapping the relay with another one from the fusebox is always a good starting point and has resolved many an issue.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #136292923rd Oct 2014 10:43 am
Dogmatix01

Thanks for all the advice guys.
I'll swap over the relays first and see how it goes. The fault is intermittent at the moment so won't know right away, if it works fine for a couple of weeks that should confirm the relays at fault.
The diagrams are really helpful too.
Thank you.
Dave

PS; My Series 3 heater is a bit simpler....... Very Happy

Post #136299523rd Oct 2014 12:43 pm
bbyer

S3 is not a mobile computer.

I regard my LR3 as a mobile computer that looks like the worlds most capable 4x4 - note I did not say best, but it is the most capable. Fortunately, an S3 cannot claim to be a computer at all but it certainly is a capable 4x4.

It just seems to me if Land Rover wanted to take on Toyota in the third world, all they would have to do is build a Defender that either does not break down or better yet, is easy to fix - that would be harder I think. For the developed world, perhaps going the luxury route is the way to profits - seems odd but....

In the recent past, (prior to Ford), their vehicles were for the most part, not reliable, not luxurious, nor were they profitable. Something had to change so ....

Now it seems they are putting new engines into everything; (for example a small V6 twin turbo in the 4), I wonder if it starts again.
Post #136305223rd Oct 2014 2:45 pm
Dogmatix01

There's just to much computer based crap in cars these days. Everything is just far to complicated. Sensors everywhere and ECU's for everything, it's insane.
Best Landie I had was a 1980 2 door Rangerover. It was pretty beat up when I got it. Bit of welding on the chassis, a good service, new exhaust, a good clean and it was ready to go. I intended keeping it for a couple of years and then get something better. I kept it for 10 years and it never missed a beat. Other than tyres and service items it cost me very little to keep it on the road. No electronics, no ABS and the suchlike, simple.
When I did sell it, I sold it to a neighbour moving to Portugal. He'd bought land and towed a 4 berth caravan over there with it. No problem and he kept it for 4 years until he was tempted by a 110.
The Rangie belongs to a young guy now who still has it. All still original. 34 years and still going strong and regularly off-roading.
Says it all really....... 8)

Post #136331423rd Oct 2014 11:14 pm
Mahoganybob

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Very Happy Stopped at my Nephews took the key out and all hell broke loose, indicators going, doors locking /unlocking heater fan pulsing to the beat of the Indicators and numerous Brake faults flashing up on the dash. Disconnected the battery for an hour and all of the faults disappeared, or so I thought the fan was not working for the Heater checked on the Forum and as suggested swapped a relay and Hey Presto it works. A trip to Landrover beckons in the morning
Thanks for the help, saved my bank balance

Post #14004864th Jan 2015 11:56 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds like you have a CANBUS issue.

Likely to be a broken wire.

Welcome to the forum. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #14004884th Jan 2015 11:59 am
Mahoganybob

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Very Happy Hopefully not, will find out tomorrow when I fit the replacement Relay and keep my fingers crossed.
Another fault I have is that I get a suspension fault which only started after all my tyres were changed it pings up after a few miles and goes after I have turned the ignition on and off until another few miles have been covered Confused
Thanks for replying
Bob

Post #14005324th Jan 2015 12:53 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mahoganybob wrote:
indicators going, doors locking /unlocking

This is what makes me think it's a CANBUS problem. The suspension fault could well be related.

It's worth checking the battery and alternator voltages too.

The wheel arches are a common place to cause problems - perhaps it's possible that the wiring was disturbed when your tyres were changed.

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't have thought the relay could cause such a problem. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #14006164th Jan 2015 2:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >