DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Disco 3 2006 auto Dashboard AMBER light and a letter F
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
lanend

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Disco 3 2006 auto Dashboard AMBER light and a letter F

Hi Everybody
Can you help me by any chance, My vehicle is a 2006 Disco 3 tdv6 commercial Automatic. Driving down the main road under hard acceleration last night, noticed first that top end power wasn't the same it was like it was being limited in some way then an amber light came on which appears to be a transmission light and next to the milometer reading, there is the gear selection part of it on the left of that was this large letter F, it seemed as if the power wasn't at its best and the gearbox appeared be different but changed ok. I stopped turned the engine off and restarted it and the light had gone and the letter F and everything is operating normally, driving home perfectly normal and full power. A bit worrying, I am hoping it was nothing but just a little glitch which has rectified itself. Has anyone got any ideas what could have happened and could advise me please. Thanks in advance Bryn Sad
 1994 300TDI Disco1 manual (hers)
1998 300TDI Disco1 Auto (mine)
2006 Disco 3 commercial Auto (mine) 

Post #15544771st Nov 2015 5:43 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Very symptomatic of low fuel pressure

If you don't have access to a code reader, fuel filter is the first place to start Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #15545141st Nov 2015 6:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lanend

Hi Micky
Thanks for getting back to me so quick, you and all the other members are truly knowledgeable when it comes to discos, can you throw some light on what the F actually meant and why it seems like it was a transmission light, it was what looks like a cogged wheel with an exclamation mark in the middle. speak to you soon. Bryn Smile

Post #15547321st Nov 2015 11:47 pm
DaveDisco3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

F for fault Thumbs Up
 D3 Tonga HSE 2005
Sport body kit
Beanie grille
LED interior lights
LED side lights
De-tango
IID Bluetooth
Icarsoft i930
Clock on dash
Three flash indicators 

Post #15547892nd Nov 2015 10:21 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Quote:
Default (Limp Home) Mode

If a transmission fault is detected by the TCM, the TCM adopts a limp home mode strategy. 'TRANS. FAILSAFE' is displayed in the message centre and, if the fault has an effect on engine emissions, the MIL will also be illuminated.

In default mode, P, R and N functions operate normally (if the fault allows these selections) and the TCM locks the transmission in 3rd or 5th gear to allow the driver to take the vehicle to the nearest dealer. The torque converter lock-up clutch is disabled and reverse lock-out will not function.

If the vehicle is stopped and subsequently restarted in the default mode condition, the TCM operates normally until the fault which caused the condition is detected again.

When limp home mode is active, the gear position indicator will show one of the following letters which defines the fault type:

'F' - transmission is operating in limp home mode
    'H' - transmission has reached overheat threshold temperature and transmission is operating in limp home mode
    'E' - CAN bus is off and transmission is operating in limp home mode.

If electrical power is lost and the transmission is operating in mechanical limp home mode, the selector lever will not be locked in the 'N' position by the shift interlock solenoid. The lever will be locked in the 'P' position and can only be released by using the interlock emergency release lever or by correcting the electrical fault.

What this doesn't explain, however, is that faults elsewhere can also cause the transmission to go into limp mode. Naturally, there are extensive communications between the transmission and engine. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #15547942nd Nov 2015 10:38 am
lanend

Amber light & F

Hi Olly
Full appreciation for you guys assisting so quick, Have just picked up the wife and I noticed when I release throttle pedal going down a hill (more noticeable) but also on the flat, it seems as though the disco is surging, I noticed the rev counter going up and down at the same time, this might show some more light on it! mileage wise I do about 400 miles a week. certainly seems the more plausible, speak to you soon mate.
best regards
Bryn

Post #15550032nd Nov 2015 6:50 pm
lanend

This light coming on, and now limping home

Hi Olly and Disco Micky
Here is the latest update on the glitch of my Disco 3 Auto going into limp mode and the surging, as I said to you both on the last contact, noticed that if you are going down a hill or deaccelerating the revs are surging up and down. this is what I have done to date:
changed the fuel filter, had the codes read....list of codes printed out 2 mention the egr valves drivers side intermittent electric fault (my nephew (free mercifully) on the garage code reader was able to test it on car in diagnostic mode and I heard it clicking), the passenger side comes up with the code sensor fault when he tested it nothing was heard at all, but as I said before the egr's have been blanked off! he cleared some codes but as I told him if I stop turn the ignition off it will start and drive fine again.
But.....Last night I noticed when I overtook a car on the bypass the change up from 5th to 6th gear seemed like it went in with a clunk! but was ok, turned on to the motorway, down the slip road and turned onto the M4 and overtook a lorry at 70 MPH just as I was going past I noticed the yellow cog with the exclamation mark come on, then the F letter but I really took notice that the revs were between 4000 to 4500 revs so I just let her slow down and pulled in. Turned it off. restarted and all was fine again, on my way back almost home at 30MPH (this was 50miles later, going through a village light came on. again I stopped and restarted and continued home ok. I hope you guys can help. I am hoping it's not a really expensive fix. Thanks in advance and await any answers soon.
regards
Bryn

Post #156494421st Nov 2015 6:48 pm
Disco_Mikey

Need to know all the fault codes stored in the engine and gearbox system Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #156496321st Nov 2015 7:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lanend

Codes for engine and gearbox wanted

Hi Mike
Thankyou for getting back in touch so quick, reassuring to know there are people out there who would like to help fellow Disco owners. You are all priceless Bow down
Before I give the codes Mike took the vehicle out on way to hospital overtook a car not even doing 60Mph the light came on but at least she didn't go slow, so I pulled in switched off, restarted and off we went. Coming back was fine until I came to this hill near us we were going up it and normally the motor would kick down to a lower gear....it didn't but the light came on and the F came on, again pulled in restarted and carried on. that's 4 times in 2days Mike little bit worrying.
Anyways here are the codes, hopes this helps you!
Engine fault codes:
P140A Exhaust gas recirculation sensor C-low-intermittent
P0405 Exhaust gas recirculation sensor A circuit- low-intermittent

Gearbox fault codes:
P0730 incorrect gear ratio historical
P0735 gear 5 incorrect ratio historical

Gearbox transfer case-diagnose
P0563 system voltage high-intermittent
U0122 Lost communication with vehicle dynamics control module-intermittent

I'm totally confused mate? Speak to you soon
very best regards
Bryn

Post #156519722nd Nov 2015 1:28 am
Disco_Mikey

Incorrect gear ratios are a little worrying, but it may be as simple as a worn torque converter

Having done some reading after replacing my own gearbox, incorrect ratio faults can be caused by worn TC lock up clutch worn, or pressure loss, either caused by a worn TC, or pressure loss in the valve block
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #156523522nd Nov 2015 9:20 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Bryn,

What mileage are you at - sorry, this was what I meant when I asked before (Bryn sent me a PM, BTW, for any confused onlookers!)? Question

What voltage is the alternator outputting?

I'm afraid a genuine gearbox issue (of some kind) is now looking probable. Have you had any judder at all?

Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #156526722nd Nov 2015 10:36 am
blackleyhurst

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Limp mode

My D3 was doing this especially on hills when towing caravan, it happened over a three year period. The main agents claimed they could not find a any faults. Gave up and took it to local independent who plugged is diagnostic computer in, walked into his office came out with a printout and said the turbo charger was the problem. It cost me £1500. I've worked it hard for the past six months without any problems.

Post #156536922nd Nov 2015 2:20 pm
lanend

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Incorrect gear ratios are a little worrying, but it may be as simple as a worn torque converter

Having done some reading after replacing my own gearbox, incorrect ratio faults can be caused by worn TC lock up clutch worn, or pressure loss, either caused by a worn TC, or pressure loss in the valve block

Hi Mike Bow down
Thanks for getting back in touch so quick, I really appreciate it! When I saw those codes saying that my heart sank but nephew said that it seems like it might have had a problem years ago, which was most probably repaired, I don't know....that could be why historical was recorded!? It has never shown a problem ever with us since we have had it (about 4000 miles approx.) (spoke to my wifes mate who was the last owner and said it has never had a problem at all), seems that the N/S EGR is not functioning anyway. He did say that while he has spent a lot of money servicing, cambelts, brakes and so on, he doesn't think the oil in the gearbox has ever been done or the gearbox filter itself. could this be anything towards it? I could probably drive 30miles or so at normal speed and it would be ok but if I upped the speed and load it would probably show the fault, the ironical thing is that if I turn the engine off and restart it all is well again, I'm still trying to look on the bright side and not a gearbox. (see your PM)
speak to you again soon
best regards
Bryn

Post #156542322nd Nov 2015 4:13 pm
lanend

Lost for Words wrote:
Hi Bryn,

What mileage are you at - sorry, this was what I meant when I asked before (Bryn sent me a PM, BTW, for any confused onlookers!)? Question

What voltage is the alternator outputting?

I'm afraid a genuine gearbox issue (of some kind) is now looking probable. Have you had any judder at all?

Thumbs Up

Hi Olly

Thanks for getting back in touch. 141,000miles on the clock mate. The ridiculous thing about it is that if I turn the engine off and immediately restart as is well. I will see if nephew can check this tonight when I go to Reading, as I said to Mike I am still trying to look on the bright side (not for a gearbox though). As soon as I know what the alternator is outputting I will put it on the thread, hopefully tonight. Thanks for you continued help Olly.
best regards
Bryn

Post #156545022nd Nov 2015 4:51 pm
lanend

Re: Limp mode

blackleyhurst wrote:
My D3 was doing this especially on hills when towing caravan, it happened over a three year period. The main agents claimed they could not find a any faults. Gave up and took it to local independent who plugged is diagnostic computer in, walked into his office came out with a printout and said the turbo charger was the problem. It cost me £1500. I've worked it hard for the past six months without any problems.

Hi Blackleyhurst'
What actual symptoms were you getting, engine surging and so on? would really like to know the full SP of your symptoms if poss.
regards
Bryn

Post #156545322nd Nov 2015 4:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >