Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ukorca

United Kingdom 
Suspension woes

So on returning to my car and pressing the fob to open the car, I hear a buzzing noise coming from near the LHS rear wheel. So I've done a little research and look at a few videos and I now believe the noise I heard was the compressor running. At this point, I had not put the key into the ignition.

I started the car and got a suspension fault bong immediately. The readout told me that special programmes were disabled and that the suspension was locked at normal height.

I switched off and locked the car, but the compressor continued to run, or at least, the noise I heard sounded like it was the compressor.

As the car is a manual (08 plate Disco 3 with around 130k miles of mainly motorway) I was still able to drive it and as I was 20 miles from home, I took the car home. As I drove, I heard lots of very loud noises of air expelling and occasionally, the readout would state that height adjustment would be available after a cooling down.

Later that evening, I took it for a drive again and there were still the bongs and faults on the dash and lots of air being expelled in short, loud blasts. Subsequently, the suspension has completely bottomed out and I can now feel every pebble as I drive the car.

I have a few questions. The fact that the compressor was apparently running without the key in the ignition would suggest to my limited mechanical mind that the relay to run the compressor was locked in some way as active. Is this possible with no key in the ignition?

When I start the car now, I get no compressor noise whatsoever, and the fuse for it is intact. Would this indicate that the compressor has effectively fried itself? There was a brief burning smell apparent as I first drove it, but I was leaving a busy multi-story car park at the time, so I was unsure as to where the smell was coming from.

The loud expelling of air; I would welcome opinion on whether this is a symptom of the EAS trying to work out what is going on and letting out air to level itself, or whether it might actually be part of the cause.

I've no IID tool, so I don't know the fault codes, but I'm hoping I can get someone to plug one in tomorrow.

Post #15543771st Nov 2015 2:50 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The relay is very common for sticking in, causing the compressor to run on, which usually results in it overheating and damaging itself
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #15545211st Nov 2015 6:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ukorca

United Kingdom 

Great, thanks. Another quick thought. I had ball joints done on all 4 wheels the week before last. Is there anything the manual for doing this sort of work that might have been missed that might cause the suspension to be over stressed and cause this problem? Is there a levelling and rebalancing thing that should have been done?

Post #15545471st Nov 2015 7:43 pm
Ukorca

United Kingdom 

So my fault has been confirmed.

A stuck relay caused the compressor to run and run, which has fried it and melted all the pipework near it.

A relay costing £5 has caused £600+ of damage, and really, the compressor should have had a thermal cut-out or similar mechanism to prevent it from committing suicide.

I have begun the process of raising a case with LR Customer Services. Rolling with laughter If only I'd known what the noise was and I'd pulled the fuse Big Cry

Post #15553823rd Nov 2015 4:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >