Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

"Suspension Fault - Normal Height Available Only"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
tony-mac

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
"Suspension Fault - Normal Height Available Only"

So, having spent £1200 on the stupid handbrake system only a week ago, i know have the above message appearing intermitantly.
For reference, when the handbrake failed and left me stranded on the hill till 1am, i was also getting the above message on the dash, along with a million other flashing lights and bongs!! I just thought that maybe something had gone wrong because we were stuck at a rather steep angle.

So, before i shell out lots more bloody ££'s on this extremely delicate car, i just wondered what peoples thoughts were on what could be wrong? And, further to that, is there some kind of re-calibration procedure i need to do ... you know; switch off, press the radio on button 6 times, switch ignition on, stand on your head etc etc ....

Seriously at the end of my tether with this super delicate car.
 Tony
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ex-owner of a 2008 Disco 3 2.7 TDV6 - current owner of a VW Passat 

Post #15233982nd Sep 2015 9:52 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

You need to publish EAS fault codes on here, ideally, but the most likely cause is a faulty compressor/leaky dryer unit/leaky air tank. Could also be a height sensor playing up.

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #15234282nd Sep 2015 10:44 am
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It's possible (and not uncommon) that the mechanic has upset / broken wires to / dislodged the wheel height sensors whilst doing the handbrake stuff.

As said, you really need to get a diags read done.

Steve
Thumbs Up

Post #15234322nd Sep 2015 10:50 am
tony-mac

faulty compressor?? ace!
time to ditch this heap of Censored then ....
 Tony
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #15234352nd Sep 2015 10:53 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

You paid over the odds for your EPB repair. Rolling Eyes

A new AMK compressor is £428 from Matford LR and is a simple enough DIY task to fit (though the ride height module will need upgrading with a diagnostic tool (IIDTool or similar)).

Considering it's now 2015, that makes your car roughly 7 years old. If you're on your original compressor then you've done pretty well out of it. Mine was replaced earlier this year with no further problems since.

I take it you won't be selling your D3 on the forum with a dodgy compressor, then? Laughing

Seriously, you don't even know if the compressor has failed yet. Get the fault codes read and go from there. Thumbs Up

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #15234412nd Sep 2015 11:00 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

tony-mac wrote:
faulty compressor?? ace!
time to ditch this heap of Censored then ....

This is not what was said and whilst we appreciate your frustration the forum members are trying to help you.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #15234442nd Sep 2015 11:11 am
tony-mac

Main dealer wanted £1800 for the EPB repair, and several of my mates all paid around the £1300 mark for the EPB. see my gallery for the break down of the parts, shoes, pads, discs, motor etc ....

Car has only done 68,000 miles!

I appreciate the help guys, really i do! and i know i'm just the latest in a massive line of frustrated disco owners.

such a shame really cos i love driving it!
 Tony

Post #15234582nd Sep 2015 11:39 am
MarkOne

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have had that same suspension fault for 2 years and I'm in the middle of getting it fixed. As long as the suspension isn't dropping there is no real problem.

Unless you are needing it to off road that is.

Post #15235152nd Sep 2015 1:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
butter

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

hi mark one. did you g
t it fix t. mine is the same .happened when a went over a speed bump . the height was loward unknown to me, bin like that for the last 12 months

Post #153700029th Sep 2015 7:15 pm
Seaniemac

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I think I could be on the same boat. About two weeks ago the Fault light appeared on the display along with the "Suspension Fault, Normal Height Only" Warning. Hadn`t a clue at first so I stopped the car immediately. I started up again and it was gone. A few days later the same thing. Stopped the car, removed the key and replaced it and fired her up again and everything was okay. Today I was down in the South West of Ireland and it happened again. I drove about 140 miles with no warning light and when I was finished my business and returning home, on comes the light again. I pulled in to the side of the road and turned of the car and removed the key. Started up the car again and drove the 140 miles home over some fairly bumpy roads and no warning lights. Is it possible that it could be a loose connection? I would appreciate a bit of advice on this. Thanks in Advance. Very Happy

Post #15413667th Oct 2015 9:58 pm
grumpyoldmule

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

How strange, ours did this trick today Shocked
It hasn't let you raise the suspension into off road for about a week
then today amber warning and this message.
Wife stopped switched it off and then on been ok all day.
I got in it tonight took it out, it drove fine no warning, came home drove it around the garden over banks and lumpy bits all the sensors on the dash moving with wheel height ok.
Thought id test it on the flat drive so put it into rock crawl in low range and it did raise the suspension.
To me this seems like the compressor is working.
Do need to read codes.
Thinking Iid or Hawkeye.

Post #15424839th Oct 2015 10:58 pm
Ray2006-1948

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Hi guys. I have a similar problem with my discovery 3 suspension. On a few occasions it displayed a fault sign and a yellow or red warning light on the display screen, and the suspension would harden which is very risky on the motorway as the car becomes rigid and jumpy. What I would do is I would pull over, switch off the engine take off key from ignition, restart and I carry on with my journey. What could be the problem? How can I permanently resolve this without having to fork out a lot of money? From this forum it appears to be a common problem. What does the manufacturer say about it? Any ideas about how to resolve this?

Thanks.

Post #154252110th Oct 2015 1:19 am
grumpyoldmule

If your suspension feels hard id imagine its dropped on the stops in access mode

Post #154257410th Oct 2015 8:23 am
Ray2006-1948

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks grumpyoldmule for your advice. I honestly would have thought as much as well, but when the suspension hardens while driving it actually it will have risen to the maximum and the display screen also says so; apparently the light indicator on the suspension switch goes off. Any more ideas please?

Thanks

Post #154263810th Oct 2015 11:33 am
grumpyoldmule

I'm hoping your not travelling at over 100mph as it will lower slightly and stiffen I imagine to aid handling but I'm stumped as to why it would be unstable,

Post #154265610th Oct 2015 12:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >