Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

"Vehicle raising slowly" - why ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I agree that if the message is persistant then there may be a problem but I understand that this has only happened on one occasion. Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #17926418th Jul 2007 7:56 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Gareth wrote:
I don't know how many times you raised the up and down, but I have never seen the 'raise when cooled' message. I have seen the raising slowly message many times, it means the air reservoir is exhausted, and the compressor is replenishing the air as fast as it can.

If you get the over heat message after only a couple of 'ups and downs' I would get the dealer to check it out. Maybe your compressor has a fault and is having to work too hard to replenish the system.

I had it happen a lot , and it turned out to be a leaking valve on the front right which meant the compressor was having to work harder. No problems since the valve was replaced . The dealer also mentioned that a faulty exhaust valve on the air gallery (or somewhere) can mean that it doesn't seal properly again causing the compressor to work too hard

Post #17926718th Jul 2007 8:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: "Vehicle raising slowly" - why ?

n1cktdv6 wrote:
Have just had to change a wheel - in offroad height - and when I drove away from access height the front took ages to pick up to normal height. There was the vehicle raising slowly message and also the vehicle will raise when system cooled - what does this mean ???

I'm currently test-driving a 2006 D3 from the local dealer before deciding whether or not to buy it....

This morning whilst stuck in traffic I was playing around with the air suspension height for a few minutes and I also had the 'vehicle raising slowly' message, upon which I continued lowering it and raising it to see what would happen....after another 30 seconds I got the 'vehicle will raise when system cooled' message. It now seems to have recovered Smile

I'm guessing that it is probably normal, but I'm sure everyone here has played the 'raise it/lower it' game in a traffic jam Whistle and nobody else seems to be worried or has only seen the message once or twice.

To be honest, just like n1cktdv6, I'm kind of scared of something going wrong although to be honest I won't ever need to change the height so often when I actually buy the car.

Post #17927518th Jul 2007 8:49 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

It sure beats a compressor burning out on the middle of the bush. Shocked
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #17927618th Jul 2007 8:52 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Am I right in thinking there was a thread where people "voted" on how many access to offroad height cycles they could go through before the compressor went into "safe" mode? I seem to recall 3 cycles in quick succession was about the limit. Not surprising really, the suspension wasn't designed with pogoing in mind.

Mind you, this is from me, Mr Mechanical Sympathy Personified...... Rolling Eyes
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #17931518th Jul 2007 10:47 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Back to my question: Is there a filter for the air compressor and if so where is it? Question It would expain why mine raised slowly after mud and water dunking. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #17931718th Jul 2007 10:51 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It would have had to have been a very deep dunking to get water into the filter - and if that happened, I'd be more worried about water in the compressor, water in the cabin, etc.

The air filter itself and the intake is located inside, behind the cover where the removable towhitch is stowed and where the fuses for the towing electrics are.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #17932218th Jul 2007 10:59 am
n1cktdv6

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Have been into Williams this morning. They plugged me in and all was OK.
 D4 HSE....Probably, but not quite decided yet.
3.6 TDV8 Vogue
XC90 SE Lux
A8 Quattro TDi
D3 SE 

Post #17933118th Jul 2007 11:30 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

NoDo$h wrote:
Am I right in thinking there was a thread where people "voted" on how many access to offroad height cycles they could go through before the compressor went into "safe" mode? I seem to recall 3 cycles in quick succession was about the limit.

Oh well....at least it's consistent Smile I managed around 3 'cycles' from access to offroad and back again this morning before it told me it was taking it easy...

1 cycle more and it got hot under the collar and gave me the 'cooling down' message. Wink

With the news from n1cktdv6 and your comments, I'm now quite relaxed about it Thumbs Up

Post #17934118th Jul 2007 11:55 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Glad to hear we've been a help Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #17936018th Jul 2007 12:43 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

bkehoe wrote:
It would have had to have been a very deep dunking to get water into the filter - and if that happened, I'd be more worried about water in the compressor, water in the cabin, etc.

The air filter itself and the intake is located inside, behind the cover where the removable towhitch is stowed and where the fuses for the towing electrics are.

I thought it was up behind the rear light cluster.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #17936718th Jul 2007 1:12 pm
bkehoe

Hmm, don't remember seeing it when changing bulbs, though I could be wrong! The removal instructions for the filter show it being removed from behind the cover inside where the towhitch goes.

Post #17937918th Jul 2007 1:48 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

There is a black vent cover ISTR behind the nearside rear light Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #17938118th Jul 2007 1:50 pm
bkehoe

That's at both sides I think - they're the vents that let air out of the cabin.

Remember we are talking about the same general location, the only difference being whether it's inside or outside the cabin Wink

Post #17938818th Jul 2007 2:01 pm
bkehoe

Quote:

The air intake filter is connected via a pipe to the intake silencer chamber of the air silencer unit. The filter is located in the rear left hand corner of the body, away from possible sources of dirt and moisture.

The filter contains a foam element which removes particulate matter from the inlet air before it reaches the silencer or the air supply unit.

Post #17939318th Jul 2007 2:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >