Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Diagnostic Tool
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
SparkUK

United Kingdom 
Diagnostic Tool

I'd really like a diagnostic tool for my 05 D3 TDV6 but I'm a bit unsure what's available and what is good/bad. What's people's thoughts and why? I'm not entirely car stupid and have used some diagnostic tools before so doesn't really have to be a simple tool.

Post #140929717th Jan 2015 2:18 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

We should really have a sticky thread for is question Laughing

Make a cuppa, hit the search button, and begin reading Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #140929917th Jan 2015 2:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

+1 Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #140930117th Jan 2015 2:30 pm
SparkUK

United Kingdom 

I've done about three coffees and the jury is still out, it did actually occur to me that a sticky would be the answer. A proper post that compares most of the major tools. I'm leaning towards the IID BT I think but not 100% sure.

Post #140930317th Jan 2015 2:31 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Look at all the site sponsors, and the tools they use. That will go some way to helping you decide Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #140930717th Jan 2015 2:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Johnny Oxford

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I just bought the icarsoft i930, £90 delivered - have found it very useful, and for a DIYer I think its well worth the money. There is another recent thread on it if you search i930 you will find it easily enough.

I think I will probably end up buying the IId tool for about £300, but for now it is nice to have a code reader that is pretty capable and land rover specific. I have used it to isolate suspension fault codes and to clear them, it can also clear FBH codes which apparently some other tools cannot.

I suppose it depends how much you want or need to do yourself.
 2014 D4 HSE Facelift Corris Grey

Previous :

Discovery Sport SE (awful)
56 plate D3 HSE TDV6 Zermatt Silver
Defender 90 200tdi 

Post #140933117th Jan 2015 4:12 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Ditto I930 fixed myFBH a treat, that alone was worth the 90 quid.

Post #140934317th Jan 2015 4:58 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

As the provider of quite a number of different diagnostic systems for Land Rover Vehicles, we are often asked what is the difference between our own equipment types and sometimes also asked to compare them to other manufacturers equipment which we totally refrain from.

Folks imagine it would be easy to compare different equipment side by side, create some comaprison table or sticky post, but in reality this is simply unrealistic.

This is mainly because most of the most prominant equipment provides it's capability and functionality in vastly differing ways and formats. What might be best suited to one person and their needs and wants may well be quite different for another, just as it is with many things like mobile Phones. And as with them, things are dymically changing anyway.

The best post and fairest post I believe I ever read here summed up all the "which is best" posts in that it is "swings and roundabouts"

Sadly as Mikey says, there are no short cuts, just a lot of searching and reading to decide which best suits you and your particular situation and requirements.

Post #140940617th Jan 2015 6:43 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Quote:
The best post and fairest post I believe I ever read here summed up all the "which is best" posts in that it is "swings and roundabouts"

Surprised Embarassed That's very kind of you to say so, Colin, but I'm sure there are better posts around than any of mine.
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #140941817th Jan 2015 6:58 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

At work on the trucks we use a computer called a Davie on the trucks Im told this is 10k, its the mutts and can pretty tell you which wire number has the problem, but like all diagnostic tools is more of a guide, now we also have a Texa which like most aftermarket tools is pretty poor, so poor in fact that our shift avoid it like the plague!

Post #140947317th Jan 2015 8:41 pm
SparkUK

United Kingdom 

There are massive differences between different pieces of kit, and I suppose they fall into broadly two groups from my point of view, differences in functionality and how much of pain these funtions are to use. The functionality should be relativley easy to compare, most of the manufacturers provide a table themselves. The second group is much harder to compare as there's a lot of subjective user opinion in there where two tools do the same thing but by 'pressing different buttons' to be simplistic. Physical package and screen size or indeed no screen comes into this also.

I guess I should try and define my requirements better. I need something with in depth functionality on D3. Obviously fault code reading and resetting is a requirement (and translation into text rather than P codes etc)
A quick and easy all systems snapshot funcition would be useful.
Actuator tests are a necessity, the more systems and funtions the merrier.
Live data as above is a necessity and being able to monitor multiple sensors is extremely useful to me obviously understanding the limitations with serial/can data speeds.
The ability to record chunks of that data and maybe have an event button would be a nice to have.
Being able to reflash modules is also a necessity, as is the easy access to the different tunes/flashes with some understanding of what each one gives you.
How the system is kept up to date and how it works on other products is a big factor too, a lot of the tools lock to a VIN at consumer level so the cost and ease of transfer to another vehicle is important. Also the ability to use on other vehicles would be useful plus some visibility of newer vehicles being added in the future. For instance will next years FFRR be added even if it's just code read and clear etc. Will there be a cost for these year on year updates?

I have lots of questions I guess. Having had a look at most (I think) of the popular systems available I think I'm leaning towards the IID BT, I'd like the pro but can't really justify the extra cost for the nice to have in depth functionality on other vehicles.

Post #140974818th Jan 2015 12:56 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Don't want much do you Rolling with laughter

Post #140975218th Jan 2015 1:04 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

That is quite a list and there is no tool out there that will satisfy it all. The IIDTool is arguably the closest match to all your requirements but if the ability to remap the vehicle is essential to you the the IIDTool falls short. Only Autologic or the BBS/BAS cooperation would be able to satisfy this requirement but you would loose other items on your list along the way.

If you could split your list into 'essential' and 'highly desirable' I'm willing to have a go at recommending something (I have MSV, AE, AL, HE, IID and limited SDD & Nanocom experience); but as you are clearly a 'power user' there will be no substitute for hands-on experience and there are a number of members on here that will let you try their kit before you buy.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #140975618th Jan 2015 1:11 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

SparkUK

My offer still stands if you need to reset your fbh, I have the BT IID and a nanocom evo, you could have a look to help you decide Thumbs Up

Post #140976218th Jan 2015 1:17 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

That is an offer well-worth taking up.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #140976418th Jan 2015 1:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top