Diagnostic Tool
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
SparkUK

United Kingdom 

tayaste wrote:
Don't want much do you Rolling with laughter

It's all about 'bang for your buck' LOL

But I'll definitely take you up on your offer, I think I can get my VAG.COM lead to work with the Webasto software for the FBH, I'll know better when I get my car back.... SWMBO has borrowed it for the weekend and apparently is keeping it. Big Cry
I'd be really interested to see your IID in action, whenever suits you, that would be muchly appreciated Bow down

Post #140976818th Jan 2015 1:30 pm
SparkUK

United Kingdom 

Robbie wrote:
The IIDTool is arguably the closest match to all your requirements but if the ability to remap the vehicle is essential to you the the IIDTool falls short. Only Autologic or the BBS/BAS cooperation would be able to satisfy this requirement but you would loose other items on your list along the way.

Thumbs Up

I might have miswritten that requirement slightly. I have the BAS remap tool and a map on my car which I'm happy with, I don't want to get into tweaking individual parts of my map, just might have been nice to try different complete calibrations at some point so that's definitely a 'nice to have'

Post #140977418th Jan 2015 1:34 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I'm at home most evenings after 4:30. Usually freeish Monday to Wednesdays so give me a pm when (If) you get your car back and we'll sort something for you Thumbs Up

Post #140978318th Jan 2015 1:44 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds to me like you want MSV-2 functionality with some of the IID flexibility.

The list of MSV-2 functionality is very impressive: https://www.blackbox-solutions.com/shop/help/SM129.html

If your willing to drop some of the ultimate control that an MSV-2 would give you, then a combination of Nanocom and IID BT would satisfy most of what you want - the IID for diagnostics and live values on any of the covered vehicles; the Nanocom for flashing ECUs (inc. BAS remap) etc. on any D3.

I'd say, to get as close as possible to what you want, you have two practical choices:

1) IID BT + Nanocom - more flexible when it comes to other vehicles. Easy to use.

2) MSV-2 - best coverage for your vehicle. If you went for a MV license you can use it on other D3s but only D3s.

I believe, any of these tools can be re-licensed if you change your car, if that's what you're thinking of. Thumbs Up

The other thing you need to consider is how you want to use it - the MSV-2 needs a PC but the Extreme server can be used for some basic stuff on it's own, the IID is tailored towards the iPhone/iPad and the Nanocom is an all-in-one solution with files transferred by SD card.

If you go for just a Nanocom or IID, you'll have to sacrifice a bit more.

HTH Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #140978518th Jan 2015 1:49 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
I'm sure there are better posts around than any of mine

Don't be so sure LfW, it is only natural that most post up comments that support their own choice.
As in "what I chose to buy is the best" without any really hands on experience of any alternate.

So a post that tells it like it is equally for different equipment from different suppliers is quite a rarity and quite praiseworthy Wink

As the developer and supplier of BBS equipment this tendancy is normally 10 fold for me and I would hope many would appreciate my attempts at also providing un biased comments and giving due and equal respect to our competition.

However in your providing such a long list of requirements, few could, would or should dispute that only the king of them all, the Faultmate MSV-2 fulfils pretty much all of your listed requirements and probably then some.

But if you really want the ultimate, as is normal in life, this comes at a cost that is higher than you might be willing to pay for at this point, at least double the next step down which is now available and where most invest in Diagnostic Equipment.

In this price range, as has been stated, there are realy only two alternates that are swings and Roundabouts that make things very competative and it is really up for you to decide which best suits you.

That somone has so kindly offered to show you both and let you test and experience these first hand is truly a blessing you really should take up and be very grateful for.

If both do not provide all you wish for, and a suitible bank for buck aspect, then perhaps you should indeed look at the MSV-2

ATB

Colin

Post #140998418th Jan 2015 7:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Quote:

Don't be so sure LfW, it is only natural that most post up comments that support their own choice.
As in "what I chose to buy is the best" without any really hands on experience of any alternate.

So a post that tells it like it is equally for different equipment from different suppliers is quite a rarity and quite praiseworthy Wink

The only people likely to have used equipment from different suppliers, are people who use them on a daily basis. Like site sponsors. And there are rules site sponsors have to abide by,most specifically:

Quote:
Sponsoring companies cannot comment on products or services from competing companies whatsoever, nor can they compare their offerings to those from other sponsors, either publicly or via private messages. It is up to potential customers to compare offerings from sponsors.

I have used, in no particular order:

IDS/SDD
Autologic
Faultmate MSV2
Hawkeye
IIDPro
Nanocom

IDS was in the days of working at my local dealer
Autologic was in my last place of employment

Being self employed, I had the remaining 4.

One was sold on as it had not been used for 9 months
Of the remaining 3 tools, only 1 is in daily use, which is the IID

Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #141000318th Jan 2015 7:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Several months ago, Much to my own personal shame shame, I used to regularly post up some very negative posts, sometimes disgused that were borderline Insulting to any opposition, for which I can only now apologize for. Martin, who I regard as very much a mentor, just like the Mods here, very politely pointed out the error of my ways, and reminded me of the site rules. I honestly took it as a real wake up call that I was behaving like a total PR---K
For which i give due thanks Wink

Ever since, not so much in due respect of the forum, Martin, the mods as much as myself, I have never since ever disrespected myself or this Forums rules to the very best of my ability by mentioning by name or disrespecting even any named or nameless alternates to BBS equipment or promoted anyone who expresses anything but an unbiased opinion of the alternates who after all have as much right to be here and promote their proucts just as I do.

I really am not trying to be coy, manipulate or skirt around Forum rules and trust in those above me here to act as appropriately if i do.

But the reality is that the Faultmate MSV-2 is well known as being the best and first, It came along where there was absolutely nothing else many years ago, It provided a degree of capability and functionality that was and has been for many years quite unique, helping thousands of Discovery 3 owners. It has a well know history of setting the initial standard and pace in Diagnostic equipment that is and always has been absolutely second to none in SV or MV guises. Only after that does other lower cost equipment and alternates from us and others become a point for debate and comparison discussion to which I am quite open.

Post #141013318th Jan 2015 9:47 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I guess the point is that you should not be saying anything on a thread like this, whatever you think of your own product or its pedigree. It really isn't for you to say what is best or first. That is the sole preserve of others.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #141014718th Jan 2015 10:07 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

SparkUK wrote:

I need something with in depth functionality on D3.

Obviously fault code reading and resetting is a requirement (and translation into text rather than P codes etc)

A quick and easy all systems snapshot funcition would be useful.

Actuator tests are a necessity, the more systems and funtions the merrier.

Live data as above is a necessity and being able to monitor multiple sensors is extremely useful to me obviously understanding the limitations with serial/can data speeds.

The ability to record chunks of that data and maybe have an event button would be a nice to have.

Being able to reflash modules is also a necessity, as is the easy access to the different tunes/flashes with some understanding of what each one gives you.

How the system is kept up to date and how it works on other products is a big factor too.

A lot of the tools lock to a VIN at consumer level so the cost and ease of transfer to another vehicle is important.

Also the ability to use on other vehicles would be useful plus some visibility of newer vehicles being added in the future.

For instance will next years FFRR be added even if it's just code read and clear etc.

Will there be a cost for these year on year updates?

Gees you want some stuff hehe Smile

I think if you look at your requirements as a list of questions, write the known answers (tools that cover the function in question) at the side of the question and then from that detract which tool offeres you what you require most.

Do remember to take into account some functions you may only want to use once as a one off and so have a less value than a function you may use a lot.
Also take into account any ancillaries you may need to buy to use the tool as part of your overall plan EG, PC, Laptop, Ipad, Iphone, Tablet, Battery charger/power supply etc etc.

I personally see from the questions/requirement list some of which can only be done with a couple of tools available and others with more of the available tools.

Only you really know your final important requirements to you as the user and willing purchase price and so only you can decide on what to buy.

Id personally not ask what tool you should buy, but may be ask instead a list of questions and see what tools support your needs the most from the answers given as to which tool supports the question.

I have many many many tools for diagnostics, tuning and other things I do, and I still do beleive their is not one single tool that covers ALL my needs fully hence why I have most whats available and that inculdes quite a few that have not even being mentioned in this thread, but I do appreciate my use quite is different to most other use and does show again that one persons choice or needs is different to the next.

Follow your own needs for a tool and not what other people think or tell you, you need Afterall its your money paying for it!.

On a side note, As you do have my BAS remap interface do play carefully if you decide to be using
Quote:
access to the different tunes/flashes
while you are playing as you will need to revert back to the calibration you have on the bas interface for the tune to still work. Always remember to remove the tune from the car if you are going to be flashing the PCM with other tools.

Regards Pete

Post #141016918th Jan 2015 10:53 pm
SparkUK

United Kingdom 

Thanks for that Pete, I was aware of that but a reminder doesn't do any harm. I've not actually played with that yet, the extent of that is likely to be trying the OE map and then putting yours back on if the internet feedback is even nearly accurate.

It's normal I think for no single tool to do everything, or certainly has been in my experience of diagnostic tools. My suspicion is I'll end up with two eventually. The MSV-2 looks excellent as does the IID BT, the latter looking incredibly convenient from a size and connectivity point of view and the former looking like a heavyweight from a functionality perspective though both can do more than enough for most of anyone's requirements. There's a used MSV-2 in the for sale section I might have a look at actually.

There's some really useful information been shared in this thread especially given my 'moon on a stick' requirements. I'll have to compromise with some of it obviously. I'm lucky in some manner in that I have laptops and Iphones etc already as the access to them could swing choices on MSV-2 and IID BT

Post #141029719th Jan 2015 9:49 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Speaking as the younger side of LfW here, I wish I could say that my comparison comes from experience with all these tools but in reality, it's amazing what you can learn about them just from the forum. With a very large number of IID related threads on here, perhaps, I can, as a Nanocom owner, get a better picture than the other way round.

Support for the IID has rocketed since the BT version was launched. To me, it would never have been a contender in its original guise, but now, if I were an Appleite, I would have had a more difficult decision to make.

I was extremely tempted by Mikey's MSV-2, as it will always be king to me, but, if I'd bought it, I think I would have had to keep the Nanocom for its convenience and I can't afford both.

My father, who doesn't really get into the diagnostics side of things now, is a trained mechanic and has worked with cars for many years. He has "acted TLO" for Marcos and toured with the racing team before working at a LR indy (pre D3). In those days, such simple, easy to use things like the Nanocom and IID could not have been imagined.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #141033219th Jan 2015 11:12 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >