Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Q393-Detachable Towbar & LR Letter ***ALL HERE***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 48 of 68 <123 ... 474849 ... 666768>
Marlston

g-dog-s Your usage sounds similar to ours. We are slightly more frequent towers, approx once per week, but only have one money-pit on board. We didn't remove the tow bar, and have now had to have the entire crossmember removed and replaced. It seems to me as though it isn't the towing that is the issue, but leaving the tow bar in. Not quite sure why leaving the bar in should damage the cross member more than leaving the plug in, but who am I to question it?

Post #153363623rd Sep 2015 10:29 am
rockcrawler

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I wonder if anyone has been told by a LR dealer that it's their own fault for leaving the detachable towbar in constantly as mine is in pretty much all the time Whistle
I also like to think it offers a bit of protection to the rear when idiots are trying to park Confused
 D3 Metropolis Bonatti Grey-Alpaca Leather-adaptive headlights-fridge-EGR blanking kit-Harmen Karden-Cruise-4x4 info enabled-Tinted Windows-Heated F&R Seats-Rosen rear Entertainment-LED'S everywhere -Smoked Side Repeaters-Rear Aircon-Vredestein Wintrac 4 Extreme-Puddle and Footwell Lamps-Stainless Steel Side Protection Tubes- NEW ASHTRAY ( thanks to dsd1036 )
Club BAS Remote FBH
Club MXS10 Ctek
Club Beanie Grill
Rear D4 Lamps
Geoff Gearbox Flush
BAS Remap 

Post #153365823rd Sep 2015 11:31 am
BBB

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Bad day at the Office (Towbar recall day)

Car booked in for check today
Had car 4 years now and ball has been attached all the time, but when received recall letter and advice on here, decided to only fit when in use.
Anyway fitted it yesterday ready for today, go to get in car and it is gone, would you believe it!!!!
Anyway was booked in for 13:30 said job would take 30 mins
When I arrived 13:10 they said the car would be given a complimentary valet and health check but they would need it an extra half an hour, I agreed but explained I did need it by 14:30.

I have over the last couple of days noticed a low thumping noise that is very noticeablewhich I suspect is bearing/wheel related so asked if they could have a listen at that and advise.

Anyway returned to pick up car at 14:30, "not quite ready sir"

Tow Hitch Socket OK ( damn)
Taken for a road test, can't hear any noise .....WHAT!!!! it would make less noise with a wheel that was square
Just finishing off valet, will be 10 mins

20 mins later ask again(I had cancelled my appointment as was watching the Rugby)...." yes sir, I have two men on it now, and I will bring it round in 10 mins"
30 mins later, I finally lost it, and went to the desk and just demanded my car back, after being told they would bring it round straight away, I stood waiting another good 10 mins.

Unbelievable Tardy service, I do not usually use the stealers to get anything done

I have had two dealings with them and now on both occasions have been sat in their reception being fobbed of with, another "10 mins sir" and been waiting well over an hour on both occasions

I will never go again!!!!!!

Whilst I was there, one service guy,must have made at least five calls to customers that started, I know it was supposed to be finished x day,but...........

I have had quite a few different makes during my time, but even though sometimes the CS had lacked slightly, I have never experienced anything this shabby!!!!

.......and to top it all off, I now need to source a new towbar.........as I left the service man asked if I would like a quote for a new one, reply....your having a laugh aren't you.

This post has been merged by the site administration team
 There is no I in team, but there are five in Individual Brilliance

Disco gone, emigrated to a VW Amarok 

Post #153407624th Sep 2015 12:12 am
Edgey808

United Kingdom 
New cross member being fitted.....

After visiting Hatfields - Liverpool for the tow ball inspection which they couldn't remove. Confused

LR have now confirmed they will fit a new cross member (will take 4days) and then fit a fixed arrangement tow bar, following a discussion with the Service Manager about the fact that I don't wish to have a fixed arrangement and still want the removable two bar function, he then relented and mentioned another customer also wants the same solution.

Im now waiting for LR to confirm this is ok to proceed....... Rolling Eyes

Ps I'm just hoping they provide a decent courtesy car for the four days? D4? Whistle Laughing

Post #153411624th Sep 2015 8:05 am
Marlston

It will be interesting to see if LR agree to the removable tow bar. I have a suspicion they won't.

As a loan car we got a shiny new Disco 4 with just 300 miles on the clock. Guess what the Mrs wants for Christmas now?

Post #153411824th Sep 2015 8:09 am
FenRob

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Assuming it was the dealer local to your sig, it's where I collected my D4 new. Let's just say I would never, never go back there again, having enountered a sales rep who in my opinion was slow, rude and very arrogant.

Post #153413124th Sep 2015 8:51 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Redgull was given a removable one, and ISTR at least someone else did too (either here or on RRSport). If they're replacing the crossmember anyway, I don't think it will prove an issue (but may still take some persuasion). Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #153413724th Sep 2015 9:05 am
BBB

FenRob wrote:
Assuming it was the dealer local to your sig, it's where I collected my D4 new. Let's just say I would never, never go back there again, having enountered a sales rep who in my opinion was slow, rude and very arrogant.

Yes it was, if for any reason it has to go there in the future (will be recall only) they can provide a courtesy car and have it as long as they like,no way am I spending anymore time sat around in there

Post #153416524th Sep 2015 10:10 am
BBB

As my hook was stolen before the test,if anybody has a failure and changes to a fixed bar, can I have your old hook Very Happy

Post #153417124th Sep 2015 10:19 am
omg!

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I have a cross member and all the electrics but no detachable hook. It wasn't in the car when I bought it.

Do I still need to have the inspection done? My local dealer says no but reading this thread I am no longer sure.

Grateful for any advice please.

Thanks
Iain

Post #153429124th Sep 2015 1:28 pm
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

I have the most stupid question - do you need to take the tow bar in with you when the D3 goes for the recall at the dealers ?

Our towbar is currently in storage with the bike rack attached and I don't fancy getting out and releasring the bikerack Neutral
 SOLD - 23my Range Rover Sport D300 Dynamic SE  
Post #153480325th Sep 2015 10:08 am
Flying Scotsman

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

DJ the dealers asked for my towbar to be in the car when they had it yesterday, they have to check the fitting and ensure it is within the tolerance.

Mine passed good to go Thumbs Up
 You only get one lap, make it count !!  
Post #153485725th Sep 2015 11:47 am
Phantomf4

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Took my 2005 D3 in for the recall checks last week and the service manager explained that the recall was to check for undue wear and tear on the detachable tow ball and the receiver socket on the vehicle. They were using factory supplied gauges to check and if either were found to be worn beyond the permitted tolerance a fixed tow bar would be fitted FOC.

As my car has done very little towing I wasn't surprised that is passed the checks, but there was an insert added to the service manual detailing the correct use of the detachable tow bar.

The car came back after a free valet with a "health check" suggesting a repair to fix a noisy suspension compressor for £245.

I politely declined the work as the new (genuine LR) compressor was fitted less than 6 months ago!

Post #153487025th Sep 2015 12:22 pm
CRC@LandRoverVerified Account
Verified Account 

United Kingdom 

Hi Andrew,

I have sent you a PM regarding this matter.

Just as clarification to all members. There is a current campaign (Q393) which provides instructions for Land Rover approved retailers to carry out appropriate inspections on the fitted Towbar and carry out actions as appropriate depending on the results of the inspection.

This is a free inspection and if anyone has concerns or wishes to know if there vehicle requires the inspection, please contact your local Land Rover retailer who will be able to check if this is outstanding on your particular vehicle and book you in.

If you do however have any concerns following this visit please do not hesitate to contact me by PM and I would be happy to provide further assistance.

Many thanks,
Pete

Post #153488725th Sep 2015 1:01 pm
TbirdX

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Mine, or more accurately, the wifes, goes in on Monday, and I've never removed the bar since we've had it.

Haven't noticed any slop in it and I would not be happy with a fixed bar either.

Post #153491325th Sep 2015 2:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 48 of 68 <123 ... 474849 ... 666768>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >