DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Q393-Detachable Towbar & LR Letter ***ALL HERE***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 36 of 68 <123 ... 353637 ... 666768>
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

craig manning wrote:
I have managed to gain more lock on the rack and pinion design by dismantling the hole tow ball assembly and moving the locking pin out by one tooth and i was happy that although the tow ball almost instantly worked loose it was much more engaged and safe. I have since dismantled it once again and by drilling and taping back through from the locking pin with a M10 and using a grub screw can coil bind the spring and stop the locking pin from moving back when fitted it dose mean using a allan key to compress the spring and coil bind it and has also included some other internal mods to support the spring. I have only done this work to prove the bad design. but it does fix the tow ball 100% and although the grub screw wont come loose even if it did you would only go back to standard.

This is why the later towbars have a ratchet system behind the handle, preventing you pushing the locking pawl back. On the later bars, it is impossible to turn the handle back at all, unless you pull the handle to release the ratchet. Early bars allow you to turn the handle (or push the locking pawl back as stated above by Griffmaster)

Griffmaster wrote:
Out of interest, just taken mine to the bench and tripped the small pin which activates the main pin.

When the main pin shoots out it is 20mm from the hook casting.

With the key out, the main pin can be pushed back (against spring pressure only, fair old effort) by about 14mm to within on 6mm of the main hook face.

Is this how they are when new anyone know?

Post #150748527th Jul 2015 12:32 pm
Ray Clayton

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

[quote="Alan B"]Well mine was looked at today ( seemingly as it's a fixed towbar) and none of the bolts were removed as my pencil lines are still there.

If thats the case with mine and anyone else on this forum, write to VOSA and tell them. Or even better go straight to a VOSA testing station and report the dealer for not checking the car correctly.

JLR and other firms cannot just brush this under the carpet?

Post #150763127th Jul 2015 3:54 pm
lancsamb

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
LandRover recall letter cametoday for D3 D4 and RRS 05-13

I got a recall letter from lr. It's in reference to the detachable tow ball. Apprently the need to inspect the tow bar. If it's worn they will remove it and supply and install free of charge a multi height tow bar . This is totally free of charge. Well done LandRover .
 Landrover Discovery 3 TDV6 S 7 seat Automatic
Zambezi Silver my second love 

Post #150774327th Jul 2015 8:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Griffmaster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Well, took mine in today for its check and it passed.

I was not convinced and I asked to speak to the service guy who passed it to chat about how it was checked.

They did not use a gauge such as shown in DWJames (15th July) video, I showed them the video, they had no knowledge of any such gauge and said that it was an inspection of the chassis member only not the tow hook.

Had a couple of the guys around the car, told them that the last time I towed the green knob rotated anti-clockwise during the tow and the hook became extremely loose, they were at a loss, never seen it before as no one had ever brought it to their attention.

I then demonstrated how the green knob could rotate anticlockwise (key out) to the point where the hook was nearly falling out, think they were shocked.

A brand new hook was tried and the green knob could not be rotated at all with the key out.

It appears from the above post by Gareth that my hook, being of an early design, has no ratchet to prevent the pin pushing back when certain towing force/conditions ocurr, only the spring!

I wonder if it is the early designed hooks where the detachment problem predominantly lies as per mine at 9 years old.
 2015 D4 HSE in Corris Grey
All below gone but still with happy memories
2010 D4 XS in Stornaway Grey
2006 D3 S in Zermatt Silver
2001 Td5 Oslo Blue
1993 300Tdi Arken Grey 

Last edited by Griffmaster on 28th Jul 2015 8:35 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #150786628th Jul 2015 12:24 am
MCW

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

So what happened....did they just leave it like that?

What you describe is exactly how mine was and after 'testing', they fitted the fixed type. May not be as pretty to some, but I am much happier towing with this on as I was never very happy with the removable type, even when it did seem to work.

Post #150791328th Jul 2015 7:56 am
Griffmaster

'So what happened'.......

Bought a new tow hook, I also think the fixed system disfigures the rear end.

My old hook was 9 years old and when compared to new, tang dimensions and the ball were slightly down ( 3 or 4 thou) when micrometer checked.

In my opinion, the slight wear on the tang flanks had nowt to do with its loose fit (post towing) it was all down to the main pin or pawl being allowed to shunt backwards during operation.

I expect there may be many unsuspecting owners out there with this design of hook.

The new design is different in that the pin cannot be pushed back without the knob being unlocked and pulled outwards.
2001 Td5 Oslo Blue
1993 300Tdi Arken Grey 

Post #150792328th Jul 2015 8:30 am
jc_uk

United Kingdom 

And crevice corrosion?
And occasional towing?

I think there are a few issues with this design.

JC

Post #150794028th Jul 2015 9:08 am
DiscoJake

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Griffmaster wrote:

Bought a new tow hook.

I thought the whole point of this recall process was to a check if existing hook is faulty but why are you buying a new one?
I thought they'd be exchanging them for new FOC Question

Post #150801128th Jul 2015 11:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MCW

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I think if they find the hitch worn, they (Landrover) deem it as unsuitable for your towing needs and the only option is to have it replaced with a fixed one FOC.

Post #150819228th Jul 2015 6:48 pm
DDDad

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I don't like the look of the heavy duty tow bar either. I'd rather take it off, flog it and weld in the hook! Thumbs Up
 Went for a job as a human cannonball. Not the right calibre.  
Post #150821128th Jul 2015 7:14 pm
noizeman

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I received the recall letter today but I see it is dated the 23rd July. I have a factory-fitted removable towbar on a 9 year old D3 HSE.

I've been out to check the removable towbar as we've just returned from a short caravanning holiday and it's a heavy caravan at over 1600 Kg, hence my concern. I only do occasional towing with my own van and the local rowing club's boat trailer, which probably weighs about the same when fully laden. I also normally keep the removable bar off the car and keep the socket lightly greased with the red plastic cap in place, but I confess it had been left on the car through the whole of last winter. I had no idea this towbar was for 'occasional use only' but I'll have another read of the owner's manual when I get time later on.

There was a bit of play in the socket but it felt otherwise securely attached and the big pin was firmly latched into the 'hole' in the chassis member. The only problem is, when I removed the bar from the vehicle, the lock barrel came out when I tried to remove the key! It's never done that before. It seems as though the little pins in the barrel have worn or siezed unless there is a circlip or something which has broken/come out. That probably means the lock can be turned with a screwdriver or similar.

The lock does work though as I've checked that, with the barrel in place and the key in the the 'locked' position it is impossible to turn the green knob far enough to fully release the main locking pin. Only when the key is turned fully clockwise to 'unlock' can the green knob be turned far enough anticlockwise to fully release the pin.

Assuming my removable bar is OK, I wonder if the recall will cover a new lock? I most definitely DO NOT want to fit a fixed towbar as I think they spoil the look of the car and must make removing and refitting the spare wheel very difficult.

Reading the letter, it does say; "Where the gauge indicates excessive wear, a heavy duty multi-height towbar will be installed or the rear crossmember may be replaced depending on the level of damage witnessed". This implies that it might be possible to argue for a new crossmember instead of the fixed multi-height towbar?

Cheers,

Post #150823428th Jul 2015 8:00 pm
Ray Clayton

Hi
Well the car went to Hunters of Derby today
All clear no problems and nothing else wrong with the Disco.

There 90 mins
Towbar was never removed as it is a fixed bar on the car.
Not sure how they checked the socket on the chassis with bar in place.
Not signed the service book to say it has been in for a recall.
Cleaned outside and by the looks of the capet chucked a bucket of water inside.

Complained to Land Rover direct who was contacting the dealer.
Will be taking this to VOSA as a formal complaint as to the actions of Land Rover.

Was thinking about a new 110 as well, as my last one i had for 20 years.
But with service like this i would never buy new from Land Rover main dealer.
Stick to the independent guys, better service all round.

Post #150824628th Jul 2015 8:14 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

If it's a fixed towbar then they aren't required to remove it as the recall relates to the detachable only Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #150826428th Jul 2015 8:40 pm
Ray Clayton

Fair point
But i chucked the other away as it was so loose and unstable to tow with.
Rang LR to tell them that and they said still take it in to be looked at.
I put the bar on when Land Rover was denying any problems.
So the socket could still be worn on the chassis regardless?

Just the normal cop out by LR
Thats face it
Compessors, tow bars, auto box service at twice the manufacturers servicing times, they just full of s**t
And a fixed tow bar still as the same fasterner as a detachable one apart from the 2x bars to the chassis. so could still fail if the socket is warn

Post #150826928th Jul 2015 8:47 pm
Griffmaster

DiscoJake wrote:
Griffmaster wrote:

Bought a new tow hook.

I thought the whole point of this recall process was to a check if existing hook is faulty but why are you buying a new one?.....

Got a new HSE arriving shortly, worthy of a new hook. Wink
2001 Td5 Oslo Blue
1993 300Tdi Arken Grey 

Post #150938530th Jul 2015 10:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 36 of 68 <123 ... 353637 ... 666768>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >