Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Q393-Detachable Towbar & LR Letter ***ALL HERE***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 28 of 68 <123 ... 272829 ... 666768>
MCW

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Im just back home from a camping trip with the tin tent and was alarmed to find my tow hitch very loose when the caravan was unhitched. When it is first installed, it feels reasonably firm with only the slightest movement, yet at the end of a 30 mile journey the green lever cam seems to have moved on its own and partially withdrawn the locking pin. I don't remember this being a problem before but is it correct that the green lever is supposed to rotate without being pulled outwards? Mine does. The lock only prevents the final bit of the pin being withdrawn, otherwise it could fall off completely. There has been no sign of any inspection letter yet so until then all towing is off!

Post #148900217th Jun 2015 6:09 pm
Westfield 10

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

If your using it for towing most weekends I wouldn't be sitting back and waiting for a call myself.
 Working smoke alarms save lives!  
Post #148901317th Jun 2015 6:33 pm
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I had mine done under warranty, it took a few phone calls but when they told me not to tow until it been resolved, I asked them if they was telling me that the car was not fit for use & asked them to send me a email to confirm our conversation, they said we will call you back shortly, 1 hr later I got a call from the dealer booking me in new cross member & fixed tow bar, ps 57 plate Thumbs Up

Post #148917317th Jun 2015 10:51 pm
nigelericsmith

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 3

I've had my reply off customer services, sorry sir, nothing more we can do, Stratstone Stoke has told us it's fine, also if you want a second opinion you will have to pay for it. My advice is don't take it to Stoke on Trent unless you want to feel like you've had your pants pulled down.
6/7mm of side to side play don't feel fine to me. Don't think my next 4x4 will have a green oval badge on it!!!
Seems to be a bit of a lottery as to which dealer you take your vehicle to depends on what action is taken if any. Censored

Post #148919918th Jun 2015 2:21 am
MCW

As suggested, I called my local LR dealer (Charles Hurst Belfast) and got it booked in for Monday under this programme even though there was no letter. I only hope they take onboard that my issue is not the initial engagement but the fact that it works itself loose during use.....time will tell.

Post #148935018th Jun 2015 1:46 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Everyone is harping on about not receiving a letter ..this is probably because they have not been sent out as yet. Thumbs Up

Don't forget that the notification of a resumption of the service action is something that owners in general wouldn't be privvy to ...so we have all had the advantage of a heads up. That doesn't in itself mean that LR were ready to send out notifications immediately and therefore we have to be patient in this respect. Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #148935818th Jun 2015 1:59 pm
MCW

Sorry Embarassed

Post #148936718th Jun 2015 2:09 pm
pyro_mad

Repost again soon - sorry Confused

Post #148938018th Jun 2015 2:49 pm
pyro_mad

I'll try and keep this as short as I can. Very Happy
I found this thread whilst trying to find out what the detachable tow ball is made from. Question
A little alarmed to say the least. Anyway, booked in and visited local main dealer. Result:- a very convincing pass. Assured that its fit for use for towing my caravan.
Last weekend I cleaned up and lubed the tow ball ready for this years use. flushed out some 'rusty oil' and wiped clean then repeated several times. On testing the tow ball on the disco before going to the dealer, it was a tight fit with very little movement, if any. If I half turned the green handle to remove it, it of course becomes loose and wiggles about. Strangely, the more I move the tow ball, it seems to tighten its fit, until I can't move it again. Feels reassuring I suppose Confused

The reason I was wanting to know what the tow ball is made of is because I have purchased a Thule bike carrier. The instructions for which, ( yes I did read them after I built the carrier !! Laughing ), say not to be used on cast iron tow balls. Just wanted to make sure it was ok to use as I don't want to drop 4 bikes on the road whilst driving. Indi said no don't use it, its cast iron, it will sheer off. New disco in main dealer showroom has a Thule/Land Rover bike carrier fitted to the same tow ball as I have ?? Shocked
Don't know what to think, leaning towards thinking its made of steel. Anybody know for certain??

Thanks in advance.

Post #149038920th Jun 2015 5:38 pm
Sydney

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If the towbar shears off with 4 bikes on it there's not much hope for dragging a trailer...

I doubt very much they're cast iron, feels more like hardened steel.
 De-Tango
V8 Brakes
EGRs blanked
Running boards
3 flash indicators and clock on dash
Blingy grille... 

Post #149040220th Jun 2015 6:07 pm
DDDad

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Idea Perhaps the confusion arises because there is ordinary cast iron, which is brittle and has very poor tensile strength; and malleable cast iron, which has been heat treated to make it more forgiving Question I'm no expert, but I use a similar type of cycle rack (the platform type that puts a large torque on the neck of the tow-ball) and so would like to know. I find it hard to believe any approved tow-ball would be made of ordinary cast iron Exclamation What's the precise wording of the instructions Question
 Went for a job as a human cannonball. Not the right calibre.  
Post #149040920th Jun 2015 6:39 pm
MCW

Well chuffed now as Charles Hurst listened to my concerns and after testing confirmed the tow-hitch was worn although the crossmember was ok. They fitted a new fixed multi-height tow bar to save me coming back even though it was only booked in for the inspection today. As DG has said, it is only through this forum that I was aware of any such scheme so thanks for the heads up. Thumbs Up

Post #149130622nd Jun 2015 4:36 pm
pyro_mad

Hi
DDDad, the wording is:

"The tow bar mounted carrier is not suitable for tow bars made entirely of aluminium or GGG40 (cast iron)."

Any help?? Confused

Post #149145622nd Jun 2015 8:38 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

The LR bars are made by either Brink or Thule ... dependent on age ...maybe you could contact them to clarify but I've not heard of any problems specifically with bike carriers and the bar.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #149146922nd Jun 2015 8:50 pm
pyro_mad

Hi DG

Do you happen to know who made them for what years? Mines an 2005.

Many thanks.

Post #149150722nd Jun 2015 9:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 28 of 68 <123 ... 272829 ... 666768>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >