Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Q393-Detachable Towbar & LR Letter ***ALL HERE***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 25 of 68 <123 ... 242526 ... 666768>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Like I said there's little to counter opinion and speculation Wink If you really feel that it's because of cross members then consider they order chassis components which include the cross member to make up at least 40,000+ motors a year ...shouldn't be any trouble to call on them making 000's more at the drop of a hat if it were required.

I think that LR have clearly indicated to their own networks that the application of the SA in the dealerships is where the trouble lies

LR wrote:
A number of issues in the service instructions have been raised which we did not anticipate. The decision therefore has been made to suspend this campaign with immediate effect to prevent any further confusion.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #145055929th Mar 2015 10:06 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Hopefully you're right, it just seems to be taking a hell of a long time to sort out, that's about 9 weeks so far Wink

Post #145056429th Mar 2015 10:12 pm
jc_uk

United Kingdom 

Hi,

My car is going into dealer on Wednesday for checking.
Does anyone have details of the checks that will be carried out?

Thanks

JC

Post #145066330th Mar 2015 9:43 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

They shouldn't be doing anything "officially" as the action is suspended....but if you are interested its at the beginning of the thread
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #145071930th Mar 2015 12:09 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
my friends car goes in next week for both a replacement crossmember & new fixed towbar in place of the removable one.

This was arranged via LRCS so I assume they supplied the Dealership with some sort of instructions to work to ?

Post #145072730th Mar 2015 12:22 pm
jc_uk

United Kingdom 

Hi again,

>>What your Land Rover authorised repairer will do:
>>Inspect the condition of the tow equipment using a gauge special tool. Where the gauge indicates >>excessive wear, install heavy duty multi-height towbar equipment. A handbook supplement should >>be placed in the vehicle literature pack. The rework action will be undertaken on your vehicle at no >>charge to you, under the terms of this programme.

Any one have any more detail on the above please?

Thanks

JC

Post #145072830th Mar 2015 12:24 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

That was broadly the procedure outlined on page 1 of this post (although you make no mention of the process to determine if the crossmember also needs to be replaced) which has now been suspended. There are no new procedures (as yet) been released and the SA restarted. I assume LRCS instructed my friends Dealership to use the original procedure to determine if a replacement was required, but who knows ?

Post #145073030th Mar 2015 12:32 pm
disco5

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Just found out that after 2week(I phoned LRCS) wait from inspection of my tow bar and cross member at dealers....

After a lot of oooh aarrr and ummm I don't know how to say this well (LRCS) apologies to me

LRCS have told me the work was authorised for the dealership to do back in February and they were only waiting for dealers to clarify which parts were needing replacement..

Waiting for LRCS to get back with the resolution to the problem going to speak to dealers.

Dealers were talking 4/5weeks yesterday to do the repair

Post #14551478th Apr 2015 9:35 am
B16 KJR

Scotland 

My mates car went in this week to have the crossmember/towbar replaced and has been told it will take 8 days Shocked I thought it was a 3 day job ?

Post #14551758th Apr 2015 11:00 am
disco5

Finally looks like im getting a new crossmember and hoping a fixed tow bar as well on Monday off LR

Thumbs Up

Post #146027218th Apr 2015 5:56 pm
Ecosse

Tow bar issue is listed in the DVSA manufacturers non code action list!! see:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/syst...etin-5.pdf

Post #146540428th Apr 2015 9:52 pm
Redgull

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

can i just ask a question, people who have that dont want the multi height towbar because too ugly, can they have the removeable one ? just a thought Thumbs Up

Post #146579329th Apr 2015 6:23 pm
disco5

I think you have the option to .

I need a fixed tow bar as tow a lot Thumbs Up

Post #146580929th Apr 2015 6:50 pm
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Redgull wrote:
can i just ask a question, people who have that dont want the multi height towbar because too ugly, can they have the removeable one ? just a thought Thumbs Up

I wasn't given the option. I was told if LR found a problem, they put a fixed tow bar on. I guess its their way of hinting that you were incorrectly using a removable bar and should you have had a fixed bar, this wouldn't have happened. Which isn't the case but better than saying its a crap design.

Out of interest, has the cause of this wear been identified yet? I seen it mentioned that it may be due to crevice corrosion. if this really is the case, a fixed bar wont prevent this, it will simply prevent the tow bar bit detaching and falling out. Not sure id want to rely on the two side stays holding up a 250kg nose load.

Post #146608130th Apr 2015 8:37 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

The action has recommenced with minor changes - This has come out today and not all dealerships may yet have accessed the information so as always wait until you receive a communication Smile

Quote:
Subject:
Detachable Tow Ball and Supplement

Publication No.: Q393v5
Model: Range Rover Sport (LS)
Model Years: 2005 - 2013
Vin Range: 5A000500 - 7A999983
Model: Discovery 4 / LR4 (LA)
Model Years: 2010 - 2015
Vin Range: AA510178 - EA744273
Model: Discovery 3 / LR3 (LA)
Model Years: 2005 - 2009
Vin Range: 5A000002 - 9A510177
Date of Issue: 03/06/2015
Expiry Date: 31/12/2016

To:
UK Dealers and Authorised Repairers only

For the Attention of:
The Managing Director
Copies To:
The Service/Aftersales Director/Manager The Parts Director/Manager
Related information:
This Service Action is being re-issued to advise of slight amendments to the workshop procedure. This Service Action is valid for two years only. Repairs must be complete and warranty claims accepted for payment prior to the expiry date at the top of this Service Action.

Dear Colleagues

After conducting several investigations regarding excessive wear on Land Rover branded detachable towbars used on 2005 - 2015 MY Discovery 3/4 and 2005 - 2013 MY Range Rover Sport vehicles, the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) have recommended Jaguar Land Rover issue a communication to all Discovery 3/4 and Range Rover Sport owners highlighting again the importance of using the correct towbar based on their towing needs.

If the towbar is incorrectly used, owners can experience excessive wear of the detachable tow ball. Should the signs of deterioration not be detected during the course of insertion of the tow ball, it is possible that the tow ball may detach unexpectedly.

Please make every effort to engage personally with the customer during vehicle hand-over.
Ensure thorough understanding of the following points:- The towbar should not be left attached to the vehicle when not in use. The towbar has been stowed in its correct position, with an advisory label attached. The Owner's Handbook supplement and the towbar label should be consulted if there are any questions as to when to stow the towbar.

Action to be taken

Jaguar Land Rover will be contacting owners of the affected vehicles as communication is required to make customers aware of the importance of using the correct towbar based on their towing needs. The condition of the tow equipment is to be inspected using a gauge special tool. This acton is only to be carried out on Land Rover branded equipment. A copy of the customer letter is attached for information only.

NOTE: Even if no towing equipment is fitted (or a non Land Rover branded tow bar is fitted), the handbook supplement must still be inserted in to the vehicle literature pack.

Unsold vehicles must have the handbook supplement placed in the vehicle prior to hand-over for retail sale.

Please check DDW to ensure that the vehicle is affected by this Service Action prior to undertaking any rework action. DDW will be updated to reflect only those vehicles affected. Should you require a listing of the affected vehicles in market, please contact the Land Rover Field Actions team by email at [email protected].

At the time of confirming a booking for vehicle repair, please ensure that all outstanding Field Service Actions are identified to ensure the correct parts are available and adequate workshop time is allocated for repairs to be completed at one visit.

Yours faithfully

Peter Cockle

Technical Director - Global Customer Service

Service Action - Removed for hitch security reasons

Quote:
Sample Customer Letter

Name
Address line 1
Address line 2
Address line 3
Post Code

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN):
Registration Number:
Programme Number: Q393

Date: month/year
IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Dear

Jaguar Land Rover Limited is providing a no-charge Customer Satisfaction Programme to owners of 2005 to 2013 model year Range Rover Sport and 2005 to 2015 model year Discovery vehicles.

Reason for this programme

Jaguar Land Rover Limited has contacted us to make us aware of a potential quality concern with Land Rover branded detachable “Quick Release” towing equipment that may be used on your vehicle. The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency have, following several investigations into excessive wear of detachable towbars used on Range Rover Sport, Discovery 3 and Discovery 4 vehicles, requested a communication be sent to all owners highlighting the importance of using the installed tow equipment correctly and to ensure the correct tow equipment is installed based on towing needs.

Should the detachable towbar be incorrectly used, owners can experience premature and excessive wear. Should the signs of deterioration not be detected during the course of insertion of the tow ball, it is possible that the tow ball may detach unexpectedly.

If a detachable towbar is used for towing with excessive nose loads, or for commercial towing, or the towbar is not removed when not in use, it can lead to premature and excessive wear of the detachable towbar within the rear crossmember mounting.

What your Land Rover authorised repairer will do

For Land Rover branded tow bars only, the retailer will inspect the condition of the tow equipment using a gauge special tool. Where the gauge indicates excessive wear, install heavy duty multi-height towbar equipment. Regardless of whether any type of tow bar is fitted, a handbook supplement should be placed in the vehicle literature pack. The rework action will be undertaken on your vehicle at no charge to you, under the terms of this programme.

How long will it take?

The time to repair your vehicle is approximately one hour. However, due to service scheduling requirements, your vehicle may be required for a longer period of time.

What we are asking you to do

Call us or your preferred Land Rover authorised repairer without delay, quoting your Vehicle Identification Number (located at the beginning of this letter) and vehicle registration number. Ask for a service date and whether parts are in stock for Customer Satisfaction Programme. If you do not have an authorised repairer, please access www.landrover.co.uk or www.landrover.com for authorised repairer addresses, directions and contact details.

If your Land Rover authorised repairer does not have the parts in stock, they can be ordered before scheduling your service date. Parts would be expected to arrive within a week after ordering.

When you bring your vehicle in to the Land Rover authorised repairer, please show this letter to the authorised repairer. If you misplace this letter, your authorised repairer will still do the work, free of charge.

If you have concerns...

If you have trouble getting your vehicle repaired promptly and without charge, please contact your authorised repairer's Service Manager for assistance.

If you still have concerns, please contact the Jaguar Land Rover Limited Customer Relationship Centre and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you.

Thank you for your attention to this important matter.

Yours sincerely

Andrew West

Land Rover Customer Service Director

Last edited by DG on 4th Jun 2015 4:35 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #14831554th Jun 2015 12:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 25 of 68 <123 ... 242526 ... 666768>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >