Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Q393-Detachable Towbar & LR Letter ***ALL HERE***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 17 of 68 <123 ... 161718 ... 666768>
therso

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

My towbar has been given the okay so I fitted it and then discovered that if I shake the vehicle it moves quite a bit (the vehicle that is). Clearly my D3 should be much more secure with the towbar fitted so I've concluded it is not fit for purpose and should under no circumstances be used for towing! I will book mine in for inspection and insist on a new replacement. Colour is not important. A used D4 is acceptable. Get out of this one LR!! Evil or Very Mad

Post #141128320th Jan 2015 7:58 pm
cumbrianmale

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

What LR really need to do is define the max. nose weight and towing limit with the detachable towbar.
If it is to be only for occasional use what is occasional? Once a week once a month?

To my mind the detachable towbar should be able to be used as much as required up to the defined limit. I have had many other vehicles with detachable towbars and none have had limitations to the frequency of use. I got rid of my big old Volvo as it was expensive to run and bought a smaller new Volvo V40 for everyday use and got the D3 for towing the caravan. If I'm now to be told the detachable towbar isn't up to the job I won't be happy.

I shall be following developments with interest.

Post #141146720th Jan 2015 10:57 pm
Wolfpack

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Like I just said, they defined the noseweight limit when I asked them......150kg.
So the 100kg caravan hitch limit is well within that.

They also define regular use as more than once a week.

Post #141147720th Jan 2015 11:30 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

cumbrianmale wrote:
What LR really need to do is define the max. nose weight and towing limit with the detachable towbar.
If it is to be only for occasional use what is occasional? Once a week once a month?

To my mind the detachable towbar should be able to be used as much as required up to the defined limit. I have had many other vehicles with detachable towbars and none have had limitations to the frequency of use. I got rid of my big old Volvo as it was expensive to run and bought a smaller new Volvo V40 for everyday use and got the D3 for towing the caravan. If I'm now to be told the detachable towbar isn't up to the job I won't be happy.

I shall be following developments with interest.

When I raised concerns with Pete@LR last year about a "rattling" towbar, (which was a fault with the towbar's locking mechanism on that specific one), I was told that there was absolutely no problem using the detachable towbar for caravan duties. The issue had mainly arisen when the detachable towbar was left in place and used for towing heavy loads (up to the 3,500 kg limit) most days of the week.

Now, whilst there must be a cross-over point between regular/heavy and light/occasional use, I would suggest that towing up to a couple of tonnes of caravan twenty times a year would be pretty occasional.

Post #141157821st Jan 2015 9:49 am
fisherman

Wales 

I've just dropped my D4 in at Stratstone in Hainault for the tow bar to be checked as well as look at a piece of trim below the Sat Nav and water coming in down the A pillar and interior light.
The trim they asked how long I'd had the car and when I said 4 months they said they wouldn't touch it as I didn't know it's history and anyone could have caused damage to it.
The tow bar they said the service action had been pulled so they wouldn't do anything until LR reinstated the service action. I asked them to check it to make sure it was safe and they said no. I asked from an engineering point of view, nothing to do with the service action and they still said they wouldn't touch it. So I asked where does that leave me? The service manager shrugged his shoulders. So where does that leave me? I can't even get them to check it so don't know if mines safe or not. I suggested I just carry on using it and he said "I assume so". Censored
They will rod out the sunroof drain though. f Censored ing to Censored ers!
Any suggestions from you guys as to how I now proceed?
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #141159721st Jan 2015 10:41 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Wolfpack wrote:
They also define regular use as more than once a week.

Misuse of the words "regular" and "frequent" drives me mad sometimes. They don't mean regular at all; they mean frequent. If you towed once a year it could still be regular. Rolling Eyes
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #141159821st Jan 2015 10:43 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

^ ^ I blame GPs for that. "Are you bowels regular?". Sure! Every eight days whether I need to or not!
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #141162621st Jan 2015 12:02 pm
Wolfpack

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

fisherman wrote:
I've just dropped my D4 in at Stratstone in Hainault for the tow bar to be checked as well as look at a piece of trim below the Sat Nav and water coming in down the A pillar and interior light.
The trim they asked how long I'd had the car and when I said 4 months they said they wouldn't touch it as I didn't know it's history and anyone could have caused damage to it.
The tow bar they said the service action had been pulled so they wouldn't do anything until LR reinstated the service action. I asked them to check it to make sure it was safe and they said no. I asked from an engineering point of view, nothing to do with the service action and they still said they wouldn't touch it. So I asked where does that leave me? The service manager shrugged his shoulders. So where does that leave me? I can't even get them to check it so don't know if mines safe or not. I suggested I just carry on using it and he said "I assume so". Censored

With regard to the 'engineering advice' on the towbar.....
When I spoke to LR customer services they initially said THEY couldn't give technical advice and that had to come from their TRAINED ENGINEERS at Land Rover Dealerships.
But after pointing out that it was a LR responsibility to pass down these instructions to these people (without LR lead these engineers wouldn't be 'trained' on their cars) they eventually sought technical advise from HQ!

Although that advise was guarded it clearly said that their concern was about exceeding the 150kg noseweight limit (many people ignore!) which when COMBINED with heavy trailers and regular use more than once a week, would lead them to recommend using the fixed towbar with its 250kg max noseweight load.

Post #141163321st Jan 2015 12:18 pm
doz

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I've had a reply from both the dealer and LR . My hitch passed the test and I have been informed it is still safe to use it if I go by the information in the supplement handbook.

Post #141163421st Jan 2015 12:26 pm
fisherman

Wales 

Can anyone replicate the supplement on here so we can judge it's ambiguity?
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!

Post #141163621st Jan 2015 12:33 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Wolfpack wrote:
fisherman wrote:

With regard to the 'engineering advice' on the towbar.....
When I spoke to LR customer services they initially said THEY couldn't give technical advice and that had to come from their TRAINED ENGINEERS at Land Rover Dealerships.
But after pointing out that it was a LR responsibility to pass down these instructions to these people (without LR lead these engineers wouldn't be 'trained' on their cars) they eventually sought technical advise from HQ!

Although that advise was guarded it clearly said that their concern was about exceeding the 150kg noseweight limit (many people ignore!) which when COMBINED with heavy trailers and regular use more than once a week, would lead them to recommend using the fixed towbar with its 250kg max noseweight load.

I don't think that I've EVER been to a Dealership where there has been a fully qualified engineer, let alone a trained one! Now, monkeys, yes, there have been quite a number of them!

I'm still awaiting a response from a Dealership near to here on the plastics/rubber qualifications of their Warranty Manageress after LR initially rejected a warranty claim on her expertise! Funny how they changed their tune when my brother-in-law (the non-metallic materials manager at BAe Systems building submarines) became involved. Full credit to LR as they resolved the matter, but if they are qoing to start spouting about qualifications at Dealerships, then those qualifications should be public for all to see!

Post #141163921st Jan 2015 12:41 pm
fisherman

Wales 

I have since spoken to Pete who says they should have checked it and they could have sent a quality report to LR if they didn't feel up to making a decision.
What I don't understand is this is a multi million pound business who are effectively washing their hands of any involvement regards the safety of my tow bar. Having asked them to look they said they wouldn't through fear of incriminating themselves. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Alarm bells should be ringing in my head shouldn't they?
Pete is coming back to me having asked when I'm next using the car to tow.
I'll keep you posted.

Post #141171321st Jan 2015 3:09 pm
fisherman

Wales 

Just spoken to Stratstone who say they have received an email from Pete and are looking into the tow bar issue. Very Happy
Nice one Pete.

Post #141171821st Jan 2015 3:16 pm
Pelyma

England 

So is this suspended or not? My Father has one on his D3.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #141172221st Jan 2015 3:25 pm
fisherman

Wales 

It's suspended. That doesn't mean that if it has a problem it won't be sorted out.
It means they don't have a blanket response for everyone at present. They are still obliged to deal on a one at a time basis.

Post #141172421st Jan 2015 3:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 17 of 68 <123 ... 161718 ... 666768>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >