Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Q393-Detachable Towbar & LR Letter ***ALL HERE***
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 14 of 68 <123 ... 131415 ... 666768>
DiscoJake

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Don't be nervous Sion, you're in a much better position than all the other horse box people who leave the removable bar in year after year and never check it Shocked
Check it every trip and maintenance is the key Thumbs Up

A simple rule has got to be if you get fed up of removing the towbar after you've used it because you're going to use it tomorrow or day after, then you need a fixed bar IMHO Thumbs Up

Post #140772714th Jan 2015 6:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disco5

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Siôn wrote:
disco5 wrote:
Sion its booked in to be looked at .

What was the out come , LR regards your tow bar ??

New cross member / fixed tow hitch
It's in tomorrow for a couple of days for a new crossmember. Hopefully there will still be some play and I get a new tow ball too 8) I wish they'd offered a fixed tow bar after all this though as I'm going to be nervous towing the horse this summer Neutral

Id raise the concern after all its worn as well the two go hand in hand new xmember new tow bar Thumbs Up

Post #140776414th Jan 2015 6:55 pm
therso

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Mine got the all-clear from the Chesterfield LR Dealer. Pity they couldn't be bothered to re-stow it! It's in the detail you see. I'll stick with my Indy, also in Chesterfield.

Post #140779714th Jan 2015 8:10 pm
Wolfpack

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

DiscoJake wrote:
Don't be nervous Sion, you're in a much better position than all the other horse box people who leave the removable bar in year after year and never check it Shocked
Check it every trip and maintenance is the key Thumbs Up

What exactly is the maintenance procedure for a removed towball?

Post #140789114th Jan 2015 10:08 pm
DiscoJake

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Take it out and clean it down and lube moving parts maybe?

Just made that up, but it's a mechanical object slung under a car it needs some love Smile

Post #140793314th Jan 2015 11:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

therso wrote:
Mine got the all-clear from the Chesterfield LR Dealer. Pity they couldn't be bothered to re-stow it! It's in the detail you see. I'll stick with my Indy, also in Chesterfield.

Cavendish the Indy by chance?

Post #140803915th Jan 2015 9:50 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

DiscoJake wrote:

This is certainly very common. SWMBO runs the local Pony Club website and has posted details of the Service Action and advised that removable towbars should always be removed to help raise awareness. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #140804015th Jan 2015 9:50 am
Sion

Wales 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Just got back from Hunters LR Chester after dropping the Disco off. They have decided that they are going to fit a fixed tow bar to mine. Result!!! 8)

For those of you who haven't read through the entire thread, I'll just put it all here.

I took mine in after reading this thread quoting the service action. They had a look and decided the play was too much (roughly 5mm up/down/side/side). The solution was to put in a new cross member and use my old tow ball, but the tow ball on mine was seized (had been since I bought the car). They said I'd need to buy a new tow ball at £600, but were fine with me getting a second hand one so I bought one from here. I took the Disco in with the new (second hand) tow ball in the boot today and booked it in. They told me of the change of plans to fit a fixed tow bar which I was happy about. The service guy explained to me that for towing heavy caravans or horseboxes, a fixed tow bar is really the only option. He said that the removable one is really designed for light towing only (I'm presuming this is why they are doing this service action at their own expense, as it was never described as this when people bought them new).

I have to say Hunters LR Chester have been brilliant (apart from trying to sell me a new removable tow ball). Hopefully they will leave the one I've just bought in my boot and I will put it up for sale on here again.

Post #140809715th Jan 2015 11:57 am
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Once again this seems to be a clear as mud from LR. They're replacing some but not others. I have yet to have mine checked, but suspect that it will be fine. I have had it from LR that the detachable tow ball is fine for the towing of our 1500 kg caravan.

Ok, so it's fine now. What happens in three yea's time if it starts to show signs of wear? Will the current situation still be relevant in that three years time, and they replace tow bars that are fine now but not then? Confused

Post #140813715th Jan 2015 1:30 pm
therso

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

nigel207 wrote:
therso wrote:

Cavendish the Indy by chance?

Yup! Thumbs Up

Post #140814915th Jan 2015 1:52 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

nigel207 wrote:

Ok, so it's fine now. What happens in three yea's time if it starts to show signs of wear? Will the current situation still be relevant in that three years time, and they replace tow bars that are fine now but not then? Confused

No... the service action is valid for two years but once your car has been checked and deemed satisfactory then they have fulfilled their obligation. No doubt you would have to prove that a "defect" was their responsibility beyond that.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #140815715th Jan 2015 2:15 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Would be nice if LR did as they were supposed to and sent the letters out. I have had nothing and ended up speaking to Pete who provided the letter.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #140818915th Jan 2015 3:29 pm
Ecosse

DG wrote:

No... the service action is valid for two years but once your car has been checked and deemed satisfactory then they have fulfilled their obligation. .

DG - can you clarify - what is the "obligation" that you think they will have fulfilled?

Post #140819215th Jan 2015 3:31 pm
fisherman

Wales 

If after my tow bar is checked, possibly replaced/rectified, and I wipe out a bus queue with two tonnes of caravan because the tow bar lets go, LR will deffo be hearing from my legal representatives. And those relatives of the bus queue. Obligations may be taken care of but I think they'd have a rough day in court trying to wriggle out of their responsibilities. The tow bar is rated at 3500kg with a noseweight of 150kg. All the other guff means nothing. If it does, they need to replace all of them without quibble for a fixed one.
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #140819615th Jan 2015 3:43 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Ecosse wrote:
DG wrote:

No... the service action is valid for two years but once your car has been checked and deemed satisfactory then they have fulfilled their obligation. .

DG - can you clarify - what is the "obligation" that you think they will have fulfilled?

Well naturally I would think their obligation is to to carry out the test as agreed by VOSA, rectify any evident issues, communicate the use, to put an ickle sticker on and put an addendum in the handbook, be there every time you attach \ detach, test your nose weight, take you to a weigh bridge, monitor your speed and handling.... and of course, hold your hand for the rest of your life. Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #140819915th Jan 2015 3:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 14 of 68 <123 ... 131415 ... 666768>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >