Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

suspension air pipes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mardax

Belgium 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
suspension air pipes

Hello, everybody, impossible to remove rear air pipes from suspension compressor even with wd40 soaring, can anybody help me, can I cut them ? if yes how to repair them ??

Post #13361667th Sep 2014 8:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cellerdweller

England 

Have a read of this Thumbs Up
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic113456.html
 You're not afraid of the dark are you ?  
Post #13361697th Sep 2014 8:53 pm
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Having a problem with these pipes as well, but worse. Got the larger diameter pipe out without difficulty, but the external ring on the other has broken off. Will be taking pump off, having cut pipe (new silencer fitted) and see if I can get rest of pipe out, but does anyone know if the retainers are available seperately. Don't want to have to buy new pump for the sake of a part worth a few pence.

Post #13364628th Sep 2014 12:50 pm
DiscoNels

United States 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Alphamale: If this is the part you are referring to it's called a Collet

Part No.: NTC9822 and can be found at www.rimmerbros.co.uk or your local stealer and is a very low cost part. This part number is for the TOP connector which is 8mm size, and the lower one is smaller and I do Not have the part number for that but perhaps the people at Rimmerbros can help you with that or the stealer.

Make sure that the rubber O-rings in the holes have not been damaged or torn as this will lead to leakage.
 1998 Discovery LSE - Gold, 249,000+ miles, completely stock
2007 Range Rover SC - White, 63,000 mi
2006 Discovery 3 HSE - Locking E-Diff, Rover Specialties rock sliders, 275/65/18 Cooper STT PRO, LLAMS suspension controller, LR Expedition Roof Rack. Asfir Rear Diff, Tactical 4x4 (Gas Tank Skid, Rear Bumper, and Front Bumper w/12K winch), Traxide Split Charge System, Overland Solar + Lensun Solar panels
BBS Nanocom Evolution and Gap Diagnostics IID BT Tool 

Post #13364988th Sep 2014 1:42 pm
Dunny1

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

thanks for your help

ta K
 [email protected]  
Post #13365448th Sep 2014 3:12 pm
mardax

Thank you for your help, will post pictures of my work, good or bad Very Happy

Post #13365478th Sep 2014 3:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mardax

Lower air pipe connector is broken Big Cry

Post #13366768th Sep 2014 7:32 pm
Alphamale

Hi thanks for that DiscoNels will get pump off and make sure I can get old one out before ordering, but it is a relief to know were to get them.

Post #13367888th Sep 2014 9:43 pm
mardax

Is it easy to remove the ( broken ) air pipe connector from the compressor ?

Post #13373619th Sep 2014 8:34 pm
Alphamale

Despite having the top break off one of the collets it was in fact quite easy to get the pipe out after cutting it off (I was fitting a new compressor silencer anyway) and moving the pump to the bench. There, with the aid of a small pair of cutters gripping the pipe near the pump body, the pipe was simply prised out. This only worked because the remains of the collet could not move in the socket and grip the pipe more tightly as they should when working properly because of the build up of Aluminium oxide. So the pipe just slipped out.

Generally the pump seemed in pretty good order, aside from needing a good clean to remove all the aluminium oxide and when I opened the drier there was some broken down desiccant so I simply poured it into a sieve to separate the good stuff and re install it. Just need to get a new collet.

Have also been able to salvage the mounting bracket and have ordered new isolators 1 x RVL50022 and 2 x RVL500014.

Post #133823810th Sep 2014 10:50 pm
DiscoNels

Alphamale: I suggest you do a little more to your compressor while you have it off the vehicle to ensure you're not doing this again in 3 to 6 months due to other problems.

Here's what I did for my air compressor rebuild: utilizing pages 5 - 8 on this bulletin http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...rogram.pdf for guidance.
1) VUB504700 New air dryer unit (since you are reusing your desiccant but removed the white powder the white fabric discs are probably gummed up and restricting air flow so do something with those to prevent future issues - X8Rltd has kits for that)
2) Piston ring kit from X8R Ltd on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-Discove...mp;vxp=mtr
3) JPO500010 Compressor kit (this contains rubber seals, springs, and screws) Do not put the compressor back in without doing this.
4) RYH500170 (3) captive nuts to mount the bracket to the frame. These disintegrate due to corrosion so this is a must have
5) FS108256 (3) Bolts that hold bracket to frame.
6) YWB500220 Relay Switch
2006 Discovery 3 HSE - Locking E-Diff, Rover Specialties rock sliders, 275/65/18 Cooper STT PRO, LLAMS suspension controller, LR Expedition Roof Rack. Asfir Rear Diff, Tactical 4x4 (Gas Tank Skid, Rear Bumper, and Front Bumper w/12K winch), Traxide Split Charge System, Overland Solar + Lensun Solar panels

Last edited by DiscoNels on 11th Sep 2014 2:55 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #133830711th Sep 2014 1:44 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

RRS link not working?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #133830911th Sep 2014 1:55 am
DiscoNels

I updated my post, but here's the link anyway. http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...rogram.pdf

Post #133831111th Sep 2014 2:55 am
ekkypoo

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I can't even get the bolts out from the bracket. The rear one is out but the top and front are just rounded. here any way of removing the compressor from the bracket in-situ? I would then have better access to get the bolts out and get new ones I too look like I am going to have to cut the rear pieps to get the compressor out. Collet ring broken on one and they are both seized. I know I will need new collets but what else will I need to re-join the pipes?

Post #141729130th Jan 2015 3:32 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I cant recall if the three bolts holding the compressor to the bracket flexible mounts are accessible, but guess not or you would have tried. The bolts holding the bracket to the chassis screw into clips located in the hole in the chassis. Those clips normally fall apart with rust. Have you tried putting a bar to the bolts at right angles to direction of the thread and hitting the bar hard with a hammer. That may be enough to shatter the clips that the bolts screw into. Doing same to the top one may be more difficult.

As for the pipes at rear, are you pulling the pipes OUT whilst pushing the collet IN. Mine were stiff but not stuck and did come out. I recall there being a brass insert in the pipes that you must reuse if changing the pipes.

I used push fit connectors to join the pipe. I actually used the connector to move pipe away from the the handbrake that it was rubbing on. I will try to find where I got the connectors.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #141746330th Jan 2015 8:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >