Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Noisy Diff?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Tony666

United Kingdom 

So, took the car for a drive with an experienced mechanic in the passenger seat. He was '95%' certain that the noise was coming from the nearside front bearing. I was pleased with that diagnosis as it cost less to replace the bearing than have the diff repaired, and others have spent money on diffs to find it was actually the bearing. In addition, we dipped the diff oil and it looked pretty good, nice honey colour.

With a Timken hub and a bucket full of hope I replaced the bearing (hub assembly), but alas, rumbling still there Big Cry

I now have the oil to replace in both diffs, and will order a mic today in a bid to isolate this fault! Confused

Post #132712720th Aug 2014 8:15 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I know this is not helping but if it is the diff that is rumbling, I am not sure a. Change of oil will make a difference. Rumbling suggests damage is already there (in something). Hope I am wrong.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #132712920th Aug 2014 8:22 am
Tony666

United Kingdom 

I believe you are indeed correct.

The diff oil change was really so that I could get a good look at the magnetic drain plug and old oil, in the hope of diagnosing the fault. The oil cost £27 for both front and rear diffs, so at worst I've wasted £13.50 (if one of the diffs is knackered and needs refurbishing). At best, the fault is not with the diffs and I've helped preserve them for a few 000 miles more...........

Post #132713720th Aug 2014 8:52 am
DaveDisco3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Sounds exactly like my problem as I have mentioned. It was a Landrover mechanic who told me a front left wheel bearing. I also done the right to be sure. If I had followed my hunch on the diff I could have saved £200 on 2 new bearings!!

Post #132787621st Aug 2014 6:30 pm
Tony666

United Kingdom 

Yep looks like I should have gone with the diff, mechanic seemed so sure and I was lured by the possibility of a less costly fix!! Trying to convince myself that it was good to change the bearing anyway as it would have gone soon!! There was a little play left to right on the wheel when jacked up. Anyway, every cloud and all that....read about the halfords trade card on either here or rrs forum and blagged myself one...... Then bought a big torque wrench for £45 instead of. £85....if anyone in either South Wales or birmingham needs to use a 300nm torque wrench let me know!

Post #132792121st Aug 2014 7:35 pm
armybuck041

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

I ended up doing exactly the same thing (Oil Change). I think I was hoping for a miracle.

I drained and filled the Diffs to get an idea on the condition. The oil didn't seem that bad, ie no metalic chunks but it was nearly black, so clearly a case of the paint peeling and being eaten by the bearings. A couple of thousand miles later, the diff was getting louder and deteriorating fast.

When I replaced the Diff the Pinion Bearings were definitely worn as there was some slop, zero preload on the bearings, and the backlash was quite wide. Funny thing was that even a good going over while still installed, there were no such symptoms, ie looseness when shaking the driveshaft etc. Only when out and sitting on the bench was the wear obvious.

If I could give any advice, it would be that when the noise comes, start looking at your replacement options as it will drone on for a while, but once it hits the tipping point, it goes quick. The first hint of a vibration accompanying the droning noise is that tipping point.
 2005 NAS SE Petrol V8  
Post #132796321st Aug 2014 8:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >