Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Ground clearance

Can someone please give me the facts on the D3's ground clearance specs , eg:
1) Is the published clearance of 240cm in raised mode or lowered mode ?,
2) If in lowered mode what is clearance in raised mode, and vica versa ,
3) At what speed does the vehicle automaticaly go to lowered mode, 40, 50 0r 80 km/h (these were the figures I was given by 3 different LR dealerships !)
4) If the air suspension fails, I assume it bottoms out, which will make it un-drivable over even the slightest rough terrain ? - Is this the same height as in "parking mode ?
The aoutomatic lowering at whatever speed and the possibility of the system failing have been the the two most common "complaints" I have seen and heard while researching this vehicle.

Post #15581510th May 2007 7:43 am
Deondef

Correction

Sorry - it should read 240mm or 24cm and not 240cm (I knew I should've bought a Unimog !)

Post #15581710th May 2007 7:49 am
Jamo

Australia 

To answer two of your questions from experience.

3) it will sound a warning when in off-road height when the car reaches 40km/h, but it will not lower itself until the car reaches 50km/h.

4) if it lowers to Access Height in "limp Home' mode, yes it's on the botton. But.. I have been in this situation and have driven the car off a very sandy beach and across rocky terrain (with a bit of belly scraping). the car sort of 'floats'. it;s not like it's bolted down at access level. If something hits the belly, the body/chasis will stil lift up and down so to speak.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #15582710th May 2007 8:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

off road height is 240mm
on road height is 185mm
accesss height is 135mm
and if the suspension looses all its air it will lower down on to the bump stops. this is how it is transported (on the stops that is). there have been a few with suspension errors but not too many with copmlete failure. usually one of the hose connectors burst. rare I think.
you also have extended mode, extra 35mm above off road and super extended which is another 35mm above that. extended mode is computer controlled when the vehicle has grounded and if you put your foot on the brake and hold the raise lever up it will go into super extende mode. do a search and you will find more info on these modes

Post #15583010th May 2007 8:46 am
Deondef

Air suspension compressor

Thanks for all the feed-back on my previous post.
As you may have gathered I am very concerned about the suspension (problems) on this vehicle. Is the compressor electrical or mechanical driven ? ie must the engine be running in order for the suspension to be active ?
When in the bush and the engine fails, towing the vehicle is one thing, but towing with bottomed out suspension is another! If electric how musc power does it use ?

Post #15716014th May 2007 5:12 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The suspension compressor is electric, but only runs when the engine is running. Downward suspension adjustments are possible with the engine stopped. E.G. Offroad - Standard - Access. Suspension problems are extremely rare nowadays with the new software and revised valves that were fitted to all vehicles as part of the Vehicle Enhancement Program.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #15716614th May 2007 5:18 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Downward adjustments

you can also make upward adjustments with the ignition off if you program the "land rover" button on the remote, even after the air reservoir is depleted. I tried it both up and down, and it works fine. I stopped after 3 cycles 'cos my fingers got tired holding the buttons on the remote...
The compressor runs all the time you are doing this, but once the reservoir is depleted it takes a very long time to move the vehicle up. You can't do upward adjustments with the normal suspension mode lever, unless you switch on the engine. Go try it, if you tow, its the dogs dangles.
Deon - bear in mind the lowest the vehicle can go is on the bump stops, which is around 135mm - ie. not with the belly dragging on the ground, so it can still be recovered by your buddies in their Defenders Twisted Evil if need be.

Post #15720714th May 2007 6:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >