Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Plan to visit Scotland - some questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Alan B

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Simon,
You also mentioned AC/DC well Bon Scott was from Kirriemuir north of Dundee on the East Coast
The East Neuk and Fife coast is easy to do in half a day, depending on how many stops you make.
St. Andrews a couple of hours, the swilken bridge on the 18th is a popular proposing place.
Like others have said in July I would avoid Glasgow as the commonwealth games are being held there.
The Kelpies ( big horse heads ) and Falkirk wheel are worth a wee visit if going between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

There are too many options for your whisky trail, islands,highlands,speyside etc

Just go and enjoy, you can always return and take up from where you left

Thumbs Up
 D3 57 xs Stornaway grey
D2 02 commercial silver gone but a great servant and won't be forgotten

Iid Bluetooth 

Post #127472025th Apr 2014 7:04 am
Simon.pl

Poland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

highlands wrote:

Simon. If you fancy a break from the camping, or just want some where for a wee dram (though I tend to 'only' have around 5 malts on the go), bit of spannering, etc you are very welcome to stop by or stay.

Thank you very much Highlands Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up If you're only on my way I would love to pay you a visit Very Happy Maybe for a night, or just a coffee - but would be nice anyway Thumbs Up

Alan B wrote:

You also mentioned AC/DC well Bon Scott was from Kirriemuir north of Dundee on the East Coast
The East Neuk and Fife coast is easy to do in half a day, depending on how many stops you make.
St. Andrews a couple of hours, the swilken bridge on the 18th is a popular proposing place.
Like others have said in July I would avoid Glasgow as the commonwealth games are being held there.
The Kelpies ( big horse heads ) and Falkirk wheel are worth a wee visit if going between Edinburgh and Glasgow.

There are too many options for your whisky trail, islands,highlands,speyside etc

Just go and enjoy, you can always return and take up from where you left

Thanks Alan B. I will try to visit the place on my way back - if time allows.

I know it would be much better to divide the trip to smaller ones, especially as my girlfriend claims she would not probably be able to get 3 weeks off from her new job.. Big Cry But when I count and see that getting to Edinburgh from Warsaw would cost me around 500GBP just for a Diesel and ferry from Amsterdam (trip through Eurotunel would give me similar result but driving is much longer) I'm starting to worry that this holiday would be probably Censored expensive... Especially that fuel cost in Scotland is about 1,5x more expensive than in Poland. Not saying about other usual things. So would like to see as much as I can and minimize other costs...
 Wrapped Satin Yellow&Black; Lovells 2" Gas Legend Kit, OME hard springs. ATX 192 17" wheels with Cooper STT M/T tires. ProSpeed Roof Rack & Rear Ladder. Custom made underbody protection, front bumper, rock sliders, spare wheel and accessories mountings, drawer system. WARN 9,5XP Winch. Front and Rear Light Guards, Safari Snorkel. VIAIR X'treme Duty OBA, Traxide USI-160 system, Danhag GSM & IPCU modules, IID Tool BT, James Baroud roof tent and awnings, and air horn for fun Smile  
Post #127539726th Apr 2014 3:05 pm
Simon.pl

Ok - so here is a map with a planned route 8) All comments are welcome. Razz

Click image to enlarge

The question is - around 200km per day - is it ok for the following plan?

Day:

2. Newcastle - Glenkinche Distillery 210km
Glenkinche Distilery - Edynburg

3. Edynburgh - Falkirk 320km
Falkirk - Stirling
Stirling - Cranhill Water Tower Glasgow
Glasgow - Glengoyne Distillery
Glengoyne Distillery - Inveraray Castle
Inveraray Castle - Auchindray
Auchindray - Kennacraig - Lagavulin

4. Visiting Lagavulin distillery 30km
Visiting Ardbeg distillery
Visitin Laphroaig distillery
Kildalton Cross

5. Visiting Bowmore distillery 50km
Visiting Bruichladdich distillery
Visiting Kilchoman distillery
Kilchoman - Port Ellen - Kennacraig

6. Kennacraig - Kilmarin 185km
Kilmarin - Oban
Oban - Ardgour
Ardgour - Salen

7. Salen - Mallaig 135km
Mallaig - Talisker Distillery

8. Visiting Talisker Destillery 197km
Talisker Distillery - Elien Donan Castle
Elien Donan Castle - The Torridon

9. The Torridon - Ullapol - Stoer 174km

10. Stoer - Durness - Thurso Camping 198km

11. Thurso Camping - Urquhart Castle 320km
Urquhart Castle - Stratihsla Distillery

12. Visiting Stratihsla Distillery 158km
Stratihsla to Glenlivet Distillery
Glenlivet Distillery - Dunnottar Castle

13. Dunnottar Castle - Kierriemur - Newcastle 394km

Highlands, Waterbuoy - where are you guys on the map? Would be nice to have a beer together Thumbs Up
 Wrapped Satin Yellow&Black; Lovells 2" Gas Legend Kit, OME hard springs. ATX 192 17" wheels with Cooper STT M/T tires. ProSpeed Roof Rack & Rear Ladder. Custom made underbody protection, front bumper, rock sliders, spare wheel and accessories mountings, drawer system. WARN 9,5XP Winch. Front and Rear Light Guards, Safari Snorkel. VIAIR X'treme Duty OBA, Traxide USI-160 system, Danhag GSM & IPCU modules, IID Tool BT, James Baroud roof tent and awnings, and air horn for fun Smile  
Post #127581527th Apr 2014 4:06 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Simon

Not a bad plan on the whole,perhaps a bit ambitious in places but there are options for you to catch up if necessary. I'll try and reply in detail later this evening after the bonfire but before too much vino calapso has been consumed Thumbs Up
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #127583027th Apr 2014 5:03 pm
Simon.pl

I got a feeling the plan would be quite interesting AFTER vino calypso drinking session Rolling with laughter
Thumbs Up
Post #127584727th Apr 2014 5:39 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

thought this was holiday ..not an endurance test...sooooooooooooo many things for you to see along the way of this route....just be careful you don't miss the very best bits Scotland has to offer...
you clearly like whisky

Post #127596327th Apr 2014 8:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Simon.pl wrote:
Highlands, Waterbuoy - where are you guys on the map? Would be nice to have a beer together Thumbs Up

The other side of the loch from Eilean Donan Castle.
The location in my profile seems to be pretty accurate.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #127598727th Apr 2014 9:06 pm
waterbuoy

Hi Simon

Thoughts as follows:

Day 2 - Newcastle to Edinburgh - sensible, and will give you a good while tospend in Edinburgh that afternoon/evening

Day 3 - Edinburgh to Lagavulin
This is perhaps a rather ambitious day IMHO - In the shortest route possible it is a 3.5hr drive, and that does not allow for Glasgow, especially during the Commonwealth Games. If you can manage without the Cranhill Water Tower then I'd head west from Stirling along the A811, which will take you within about 3km of the Glengoyne Distillery. From there it is just over an hour to Inveraray. The last ferry from Kennacraig is usually at 1800, and the first sailing of the day is at 0700 (except Sunday); if you want to 'do' Inveraray properly then it might be sensble to take the early morning ferry the next day.

Day 4 and 5 - sensible (ish!). On day 5 if you are looking for a 'wild camp' then I'd suggest that after you return to the mainland you head towards Tarbert and then turn off onto the Kilberry Road. It is a very minor road which runs up/down the west side of the Kintyre pennsula and offers a lot of opportunities to park up overlooking the Sound of Jura and beyond.

Day 6 - Again, sensible. About 3 hrs driving plus time for Kilmartin, Oban and the Ferry. If you are wanting to camp again then I would continue past Salen (reasonable hotel there) to the end of Loch Shiel at Acharacle, cross over the River Shiel and then turn sharp left to head down to Loch Moidart and Castle Tioram.

Day 7 - Very leisurely, allowing for a diversion to Ardnamurchan point and for time to be spent on the Morar sands.

Day 8 - Again, OK - stunning scenery, and time to stop off and see Highlands!

Day 9 - I would change this a little if I were you. Rather than turning east as you approach Loch Maree (at Kinlochewe on the A832 towards Achnasheen and Garve) I would instead head west to Gairloch and then follow the coast road past Poolewe and on to Ullapool. Thre are some very deep/high waterfalls at The Falls of Mesach where the A832 joins the A835. I'd also stop anywhere you fancy between Lochinver and Kylesku on the coast road - some stunning beaches.

Day 10 I'm not sure why you are heading east along the top of Scotland from Durness to Thurso? You could save a lot of time, and still see very similar scenery, by heading down to Lairg from Tongue, and maybe then onto Urquhart Castle (if you really have do see it - there are many better examples and it is really overun with coach trips!).

Day 11 - see above re Urquhart Castle - I'd suggest your time might be better spent in Speyside rather than the NE corner out to Thurso and/or Urquhart Castle.

Day 12 - Personally I'd head from Glenlivet into Deeside at Ballater and then head west to Balmoral/Braemar and over the Glenshee pass rather east to Donottar - purely a personal opinion!

Day 13 - depends on where you end upon Day 12!!

I'm mid way between Kilmartin and Oban (day 6?) - let us know your schedule re dates and we'll see if we can sort something out. This last weekend we went down the loch and saw Ospreys and Sea Eagles, although they may have gone by July.
Previously:
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
110 V8 CSW (220k)

Post #127603727th Apr 2014 10:21 pm
Garagegmx

We'd all do things differently, but nothing wrong with his itinerary as is. Thumbs Up

Post #127609628th Apr 2014 7:44 am
Simon.pl

galwaygreen wrote:
thought this was holiday ..not an endurance test...sooooooooooooo many things for you to see along the way of this route....just be careful you don't miss the very best bits Scotland has to offer...
you clearly like whisky

Well.. I like to be on road Very Happy Just enjoy moving from one place to another, so 200km per day does not seems to be a long distance. Of course it depends on the trail Whistle Wink

I've just found out that last year's Bulgaria trip was 2391km long (just in Bulgaria). This trip is planed to be 2371 Mr. Green
The difference is that some parts of the Bulgaria trip had roads like this:

but first 6 or 7 days were like:

Slippery when wet.. The only tree was this one you can see behind the car Big Cry

So I don't think this one can be endurance test Twisted Evil

Will think your thoughts over Waterbuoy. Need to find time to put it on map Thumbs Up
Post #127629628th Apr 2014 3:55 pm
Simon.pl

waterbuoy wrote:

Day 3 - Edinburgh to Lagavulin
This is perhaps a rather ambitious day IMHO - In the shortest route possible it is a 3.5hr drive, and that does not allow for Glasgow, especially during the Commonwealth Games. If you can manage without the Cranhill Water Tower then I'd head west from Stirling along the A811, which will take you within about 3km of the Glengoyne Distillery. From there it is just over an hour to Inveraray. The last ferry from Kennacraig is usually at 1800, and the first sailing of the day is at 0700 (except Sunday); if you want to 'do' Inveraray properly then it might be sensble to take the early morning ferry the next day.

Can't manage without Crangill Water Tower - this is neighborhood of Angus and Malcom Young of AC/DC, so this one is like going to Mecca to me Mr. Green
I wanted to divide this day for two at the beginning, but at the moment everything had been planed for 14 days - in case my girlfriend would not be able to get more days off.

waterbuoy wrote:

Day 4 and 5 - sensible (ish!). On day 5 if you are looking for a 'wild camp' then I'd suggest that after you return to the mainland you head towards Tarbert and then turn off onto the Kilberry Road. It is a very minor road which runs up/down the west side of the Kintyre pennsula and offers a lot of opportunities to park up overlooking the Sound of Jura and beyond.

Is it the road going through Carse Ho, Kilberry, Ormsary?

waterbuoy wrote:

Day 6 - Again, sensible. About 3 hrs driving plus time for Kilmartin, Oban and the Ferry. If you are wanting to camp again then I would continue past Salen (reasonable hotel there) to the end of Loch Shiel at Acharacle, cross over the River Shiel and then turn sharp left to head down to Loch Moidart and Castle Tioram.

Included in the plan - beside I didn't know obout Castle Tioram Wink Is it somewhere Cul Doirilinn? I can see such village on the map.

waterbuoy wrote:

Day 7 - Very leisurely, allowing for a diversion to Ardnamurchan point and for time to be spent on the Morar sands.

I can see Morar on my planed route, but the Ardnamurchan is farther west from the Tioram Castle? Next to Kilchoan. Correct?

Will analyze the other suggestion later on.
Cheers! Thumbs Up
Post #127637528th Apr 2014 7:00 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

waterbuoy wrote:

I would take the time on Morar sands rather than trying to do Ardnamurchan point.
We had a round Britain motorcyclist stay with us and he, in his own words, made the mistake of taking in the point (although he was doing a 'points of the compass' route so it wasn't really an option). It is a long way there and back, in time if not especially mileage.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #127638828th Apr 2014 7:23 pm
waterbuoy

Evening Simon!

Day 3 - now it makes sense! It was the first time I had heard the water tower listed in a tourist itinerary! If time proves to be short then I'd miss out the Glengoyne Distillery - you have plenty of others to visit after all.

Day 5 - yes, that's the road, and it will save you retracing your steps for about 30km.

Day 6 - Castle Tioram is only shown on very detailed maps as it is not really in a village at all.

Day 7 - yes, Ardnamurchan Point isjust about as far west as you can go on the mainland!

The rest of my comments were mainly to provide you with some alternatives if you should get distracted by other attractions (such as the caves at Smoo, near to Durness) or the weather turns out to be typically Scottish!
Previously:
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
110 V8 CSW (220k)

Post #127639428th Apr 2014 7:28 pm
Simon.pl

So - next modifications to the plan are done. Thanks Waterbuoy and Highlands! Thumbs Up

waterbuoy wrote:

Day 9 - I would change this a little if I were you. Rather than turning east as you approach Loch Maree (at Kinlochewe on the A832 towards Achnasheen and Garve) I would instead head west to Gairloch and then follow the coast road past Poolewe and on to Ullapool. Thre are some very deep/high waterfalls at The Falls of Mesach where the A832 joins the A835. I'd also stop anywhere you fancy between Lochinver and Kylesku on the coast road - some stunning beaches.

Changed Very Happy

waterbuoy wrote:

Day 10 I'm not sure why you are heading east along the top of Scotland from Durness to Thurso? You could save a lot of time, and still see very similar scenery, by heading down to Lairg from Tongue, and maybe then onto Urquhart Castle (if you really have do see it - there are many better examples and it is really overun with coach trips!).

Thought coastal road would make sense but if you say your option is as good I will save some time Wink
The Urquhart Castle is located at the Loch Ness. Being in Scotland and not seeing Loch Ness is like... I don't know Wink So even if we don't enter, would be good just pass by. What about driving all over the Loch ness and come back around Dores to head Speyside?

waterbuoy wrote:

Day 12 - Personally I'd head from Glenlivet into Deeside at Ballater and then head west to Balmoral/Braemar and over the Glenshee pass rather east to Donottar - purely a personal opinion!

Is Dunnottar Castle not worth seeing?

Cheers! Thumbs Up
Post #12785112nd May 2014 3:44 pm
Simon.pl

Well - I must say EVERYTHING was against my trip to Scotland, but I didn't surrender and we finally start tomorrow! Mr. Green

Will stay in Bochum/Germany for two days and June 25th we are landing in Newcastle Very Happy We'll be traveling from June 25th till July 10th, so hope it's plenty of time.

By the way - is there anyone on our way who could activate cruise control in my Base Disco? Everything is installed, but the stealer just wanted to rob me, so didn't do it before this trip Evil or Very Mad

Will post some pics for sure!

Thumbs Up
Post #130120821st Jun 2014 11:58 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >