Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

My Narrow Track (potentially up for sale)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 43 <123 ... 678 ... 414243>
Iguana

Ukraine 

More than welcome to borrow my sakey tow kit Simon if it'll help :thumbsup

I'm not likely to be needing to push a trailer around for at least a few weeks Big Cry
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #12804546th May 2014 10:44 pm
sailorboi

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks Iggy I might take you up on that as it would help me decide if I should change it or invest in a NATO hitch? I am hoping one might appear on here but also tempted to try the 50mm ball Smile

Glad to hear the surgery went well today too Thumbs Up
 07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x
Sankey Narrow Track Camping Trailer (Gone but to a great home) 

Post #12804606th May 2014 10:50 pm
Arlo

Germany 

sailorboi wrote:

Then got them fitted Smile a lot of backwards and forwards to the bench grinder to slowly take off a little bit each time.

One of the hubs does not seem to spin as well as the other so before I do anything else I am going to take it all part again. Clean all the bearings again and then re-pack and but it all back together. The other side is super smooth. So not sure why that one is not Sad

Then hopefully wheels on finally and I can take it for a tow Smile with the tractor as I don't have a NATO hitch Big Cry

The springs should be facing to the brake plate like this:

Click image to enlarge

Is the oil catcher centered to the axle?
Sometimes the hub gets into contact with the inner diameter.

Click image to enlarge

Post #12807457th May 2014 4:44 pm
sailorboi

Thanks Arlo I have swapped the springs around already but am using the slightly different springs as am using series pads and te pad width is slighly shorter, but I guess as long as they probide enough tension then it does not really matter?

I got all the spacers and hubs all tightened correctly with no wobble at all but not too tight Thumbs Up

Then got the tank I got from Duncan and offered it up to try and work out a good place, annoyingly it fits perfect between the frames however where I wanted to put it, just be hind the axel, it sits at a funny angle due to the brake bracket on the rear of the axel. Hmmmm so back to the drawing board I think.

Took the wheels back off and got the cans of dip out and went for it. I tried the method of protecting the tyres with the business cards and it was rubbish! I think it is because I have the widest tyres you can fit to these rims. So I just went for it and I hope when it is all dry it will rub off the tyres Thumbs Up

07 Java Black TD V6 D3, EGRs Blanked, Tow bar, Full dog guard & divider, LED Spots , DRLs, GG ATs, RLD Sump guard, RLD Spare Wheel Protector, D4 LED Rear Lights, Limo tints on boot and Midnight tint on rear windows, Kenwood screen with Garmin nav, Rear cameras, D4 Steering wheel with flappy paddles, T-max split charge system, Tree sliders, Prospeed roof rack & Ladder, Alisport fast road inter cooler,

Massey Ferguson 35x

Post #12807567th May 2014 5:09 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #12807787th May 2014 5:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Arlo

Germany 

The middle crossmember can be cut out easy. There's plenty room upon the axle then!

Post #12808227th May 2014 6:36 pm
sailorboi

Ok kl so I might just remove the rear section as that will allow me to put it up over the brake bracket Thumbs Up and you say it will still be strong sweet Bow down

I will have a look tomorrow and get the 9 inch grinder out (one of my fav toys Smile )

The section in red will be all I need to remove Smile

Massey Ferguson 35x

Post #12808427th May 2014 7:02 pm
Arlo

Germany 

Be careful with this big toy!
The disc will be trapped just at the moment you cut the parts into halfs!
Use a hand saw for the remaining small part.
Even this get caught by the inner tension of the welded parts.

I'll cross my bones on this. Rolling Eyes

Post #12808487th May 2014 7:18 pm
sailorboi

Don't worry all safety cautions will be taken! I may be a farmer but I do also work at sea where safety is the most important thing! Thumbs Up

Massey Ferguson 35x

Post #12808707th May 2014 7:56 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

.........so you'll get the farmhand to cut it Laughing

Post #12808837th May 2014 8:10 pm
sailorboi

Yep and I wo be having a cuppa tea Thumbs Up Moo will you be around junction 19 tomorrow afternoon or will I have missed you to have a loom under your bonnet?

Massey Ferguson 35x

Post #12809247th May 2014 9:40 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'll be coming back past J19 about 9.30 to 10.00 (ish) if that helps. Off to collect another must have accessory Whistle

Post #12809858th May 2014 12:01 am
sailorboi

Haha ye right! Na no good will be at the auction. But if you could send the pics Thumbs Up That would be ace Smile

Massey Ferguson 35x

Post #12809908th May 2014 12:15 am
sailorboi

Will put some more pics up later as I have got the wheels back on and I think they look really good in black Thumbs Up

I am going to be cutting out the section mentioned above today too for the water tank to be fitted in. Will have to make up a bracket to support it too. Then going to give it all another top coat of black. I have made up so small brackets to help hold the lights on for the widening and these just need grinding down and painting.

We are slowly getting there and I had a call this morning from my welder and I think Monday is the date Thumbs Up

Just got to work out exactly what I want and the exact final height of the hitch as am going to drop it slightly Smile

Massey Ferguson 35x

Post #12814389th May 2014 8:42 am
sailorboi

Well got the 9 incher out and went for it Thumbs Up

You would not even know it had been cut out Very Happy

Test fitted the water tank

And made up some brackets to hold it in place

I then started to weld on some small pieces to stop it from sliding sideways. I was only using a small arc welder that is well older than me and it finally have up on me Big Cry I thought it was not penetrating the steel very well (was only 3mm) and then smoke started coming from under the cover and a nice burning smell. So I think it is finally dead Sad but on the bright side I can not get a little MIG.

Has anyone got one for sale? Or recommendations I know Ieuan asked recently do will look at that thread too. Tempted by a few in machine mart but any other recommendations?

Anyway with metal work over with I decided to fit the wheels and paint the small bits I had left around the hubs. Hope you like the black wheels? The body will be a gun metal colour (I hope) so should go well.

Massey Ferguson 35x

Post #12816169th May 2014 4:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 43 <123 ... 678 ... 414243>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >