Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Advice for Commercial purchase, adding 2nd row seats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
refactored

United Kingdom 
Advice for Commercial purchase, adding 2nd row seats

As you can probably guess from the title, I'm considering purchasing a LR D4 Commercial. I've been sifting through the various posts on this site to try and work out whether it's going to be the right option, but I think I'm more confused now than before!

My situation is this: I run a small IT consultancy. It's a limited company, I'm the sole owner, and I'm VAT registered. I'm looking at a commercial vehicle because the majority of my travel is for work and my current car is starting to cost me personally. Having a commercial vehicle means that fuel, maintenance, and tax are paid for by the company, providing benefits later down the line.

While the majority of the work is done by my company is digital, I sometimes have to ferry computers/servers/hardware in the back of my car from one location to another. I occasionally have to shuttle clients at the same time, too.

I've looked at the Navara with a snugtop but I'm concerned about security should I need to leave equipment overnight, and loading into the back of that might be tricky. The test-drive didn't leave me feeling like I'd be comfortable for long journeys, either. None of the other commercial vehicles seem to fit my needs.

So, back to the commercial. I've seen that a number of people have removed the bulkhead and fitted temporary seats while still keeping the commercial vehicle status, but since I often run clients around I want to ensure they're comfortable, and I want to take advantage of as much space in the back as possible.

I've looked at the Alantech seats, and while they look great I really like the way the original D4's rear seats fold completely flat – this will be invaluable when I'm loading kit into the back – so I'm wondering whether it would be possible to purchase the 2nd row of seats direct from LR and have them re-fit with the original seat belts and some sort of hardwood backing – maybe reusing the wood that would be taken out – so I can still use the full loading area. In fact, the seats would be folded flat 98% of the time.

I'm also considering having the plastic taken out of the rear doors (seems to be a safety consideration on a number of threads), but leaving the window motors disabled, and maybe applying darker privacy laminates to the those windows and also the back window, to stop people snooping.

I'll probably fit some removable draws in the back, too, similar to these: http://www.senseofadventure.biz/land-rover...s-storage/

So, my main questions are:

- Can I refit the original seats (just the 2nd row), with a hard backing, and still keep the commercial status?
- Has anyone done this already? If so, do you have photos?
- Are there any companies that can do this type of refit, and advise on which parts I need to order? (pm me if necessary)
- If I do this, which insurers should I speak to regarding my insurance?
- Is any of this worthwhile? Or am I just going to find myself in a lot of bother later down the line?
- What other legal considerations do I need to make?

Post #125540519th Mar 2014 10:50 am
jeepmadmike

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Questions we would all like answered!

I've removed the false floor from mine not to add seats but a pair of rear draws and side accessible storage- the biggest pain is removing the anti tamper bolts, I've tried a few different methods and not found the best way yet!

As far as standing on the tax mans toes from how I read the rules fitting seats in a vehicle which has always been a commercial is not such a issue. If it started life as a car then became a van to reclaim the VAT and then seats are re-fitted it's another story

It's a bit of a mine field but everyone seems to fit seats in them and has anyone been fined yet? The only case I can find is for a BMW fitter with a disco car which had had racking fitting and the money police prosecuted him for the company car tax (he was paying for it as a van) as it could have been converted back......

The only other issue could be road tax as it's cheaper, but then as it's still used for business..... And all the T5 surf bus / day van boys would also be in hot water over that too. Thinking about it fitting a roof rack will increase CO2 emissions so that's going to be committing fraud too!

My head hurts!
 MY14 post man pat van
70series land cruiser
1947 willys jeep
Hobby 670 motor home
And lots of other stuff in my shed, on my driveway or abandoned in the village
Several VW T5's
Mitsubishi outlander
And a Suzuki X90... Only drive that at night 

Post #125555719th Mar 2014 2:39 pm
gensetsteve

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Commercial Auto Belize GreenDiscovery 4

I have a feeling the double cabs get away with it because they can carry over 1000 kg after the snug top is fitted. I think the payload on the disco is 6-700kg. You may have some problems with insurance as its not built with type approval to carry more than 2 people.
 D4  
Post #125557319th Mar 2014 3:18 pm
Slug

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I've got the leather Atlantech seats fitted in mine & can't fault them for occasional use but I wouldn't want to go up to Scotland sat on them, although good enough for the kids in reality.

As for the legality of them, I go along with the consensus that you are ok fitting aftermarket seating as they are termed temporary whereas fitting the original rear seats are not and thus not accepted by HMRC. This is also the view of my accountant. Although I accept it's a very grey area.

I don't know whether I'm correct or not but there does come a point that if you're trying to just create an original spec D4 then you might as well just buy one and not have the hassle of getting the seats fitted etc.

Order a Commercial today and you would be lucky to get it before the end of the year.

Great vehicles, good luck whichever you decide to get. Thumbs Up
 Still lurking, although moved to the dark side: disco5.co.uk
2019 D5 HSE
2019 Baby RR First Edition 

Post #125572519th Mar 2014 7:25 pm
Steve RR

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I have been thinking about just fitting one or both of the third row seats in the back of mine and even leaving the bulkhead in place. Might be able to put the ply floor back over them when moving big stuff.
Has anyone done this?

Cheers

Post #125631120th Mar 2014 9:45 pm
rich06

hi there I have pm you

Post #125631520th Mar 2014 9:56 pm
luckyrobp

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
3rd row seats

I although thought about the 3rd row seats with a hard back for emergency use.
How do you do it, you can PM me as well if you like

Post #13678252nd Nov 2014 11:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >