Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Towing Hitch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 38 <123 456 ... 363738>
Jimbo

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Towing Hitch/bar

I have been in communication with Diane Didonna from Hayman Reese. They are looking for a Disco 3 in Melbourne to test their bar on. I suggested that she put a note on this site. Her email address is [email protected].

Jim

Post #16233229th May 2007 8:33 am
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Towing Hitch

Good work Jimbo! Let's hope one of the Melbourne gang will be able to test and photograph for the rest of us.

Cheers.

Post #16234529th May 2007 9:30 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I'm on it...

Smile
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #16239329th May 2007 12:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mcowell

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Had a call from HR today. They are using our D3 for their engineering trial, and will be fitting and testing the initial model from Wednesday next week, finishing on Friday. I'll post some piccies as soon as it is completed. Can't wait to have a 'real' hitch in place ...
 Why have I never felt this way about a 4WD before?  
Post #1631161st Jun 2007 9:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Good to see Heyman Reece takeing up the challange on tow bars, they have all the expertese needed.
I in my design concidered a Heyman Reece style reciever and had made up the components for it, but
after much thought on the subject decided to go with the conventional old fashoned bolt on type as all my
other H R type ones end up rattleing and I would also loose an extra 50 mm clearence.
The D3 is so quiet I did not wont a rately tow bar on the back, also I like to leave my tow hitch on all the
time as it is a very good radiator staber for those touch park near my car Thumbs Up

Rob Bruce

Post #1633772nd Jun 2007 2:05 pm
simon_arch1

Damn - and I was all set to get the new tow bar tested on our car Wink

Looking forward to seeing it all done - the sketch designs I saw look absolutley right.

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #1633882nd Jun 2007 3:44 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Found someone willing to give a price estimate ( depending on numbers) on a towing hitch. Two point construction but would be neater than the SA one with a standard tongue connector so you can put whatever you like on.
What is HR producing? What will it be able to do and how much will it be?
Is it worth persuing or do we wait for the HR one?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #16564710th Jun 2007 5:13 am
simon_arch1

I'd wait a few days - we've seen sketches of the HR unit, and the design is righ. One of the Vic forum members should have a report for us any day...

Cheers,

Simon
Post #16565210th Jun 2007 8:31 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Simon, spoke to Martin from HR on Saturday at the Brissy Caravan and Camping Show. Unfortunately he left Melb before the trial had started but knows there is a lot of interest in a 'proper' D3 hitch/towbar and is keen to follow up.

Guess we will have to wait until the report from mcowell is available or the product gets to the market place. I am lucky, I don't need mine straight away but I read that kenso (in another post) is asking if anyone wants to buy a genuine LR towbar. So his SA unit has turned up.

And Rob, your last sentence slays me. I know just what you mean and I always have to have a quick inspect of front and rear whenever I park where less than considerate others park theirs!!

Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #16569310th Jun 2007 1:38 pm
Martin Krutli

Towing Hitch

Well if the Hayman Reece solution is the answer then I'm in. Disco is supposed to arrive in August and we're off overseas for 6 weeks in early Sept (bad timing), so I won't need it till about mid Oct. - but happy to put my name on a list if HR need ant encouraging.

On the topic of the spare towbar - perhaps it could be painted brown and awarded for the stupidest action of the year - a sort of perpetual trophy with the annual winners name engraved!

Cheers. Martin

Post #16594911th Jun 2007 12:01 pm
simon_arch1

From Chris Scott at Hayman Reese in melbourne:
"I have a TD3 coming in tomorrow for development. Alan a local TD3 owner had a problem with his OE configuration last December and I was committed to developing a new bar from that point. I thank you and Malcolm for you help and we should be in production for the new bar sometime next week."

Also -
"The design brief was to increase the departure angle of the vehicle with the towbar fitted and allow a more secure fitment of the towbar assembly to the chassis.
As you can see from the attached JPG the bar will sit high just below the bumper. There will be a small bumper cut to allow the supporting arms to capture the tow hook for additional support. The position of the spare tyre in relation to the towbar is tight but you will be able to access the spare when the bar is fitted.
As this is a 3500kg rated vehicle, the design parameters are much tighter than what they would be on a 1600kg unit."

I'm assuming he means a D3...

But it sounds promising...

I have a graphic of what it might look like - see:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayima...&pos=5

cheers,

Simon
Post #16629512th Jun 2007 10:38 am
Martin Krutli

Tow Hitch

Interesting graphic Simon. If the real thing looks anything like that it will certainly look neater than the SA unit. CLearance to the spare wheel won't be an issue for me as it won't be there anyway!

Keep us posted.

Cheers.

Post #16632512th Jun 2007 12:38 pm
PBob

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Even if it poked out the back window, it would be better than the original....
 2006 HSE TDV6 Bonatti Grey, ECB bull bar, tropical roof, LG Next G car kit, Tom Tom GPS, UHF, Mitchell Bros tow bar, Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition camper trailer and 23 foot Haines Signature half cabin (Towed separately!)  
Post #16632712th Jun 2007 12:50 pm
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

PBob wrote:
Even if it poked out the back window, it would be better than the original....

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #16634212th Jun 2007 1:36 pm
simon_arch1

Me too - been RAOTFLMAO for the past 1/2 hour!

Very good!

Smile

Rolling with laughter

Simon
Post #16635112th Jun 2007 2:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 38 <123 456 ... 363738>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >