Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Towing Hitch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 38 <123 4 ... 363738>
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Martin,
I'll PM you with more details, but the rear parking sensors are not interfered with by the wheel carrier - I only get interference with them when I stick a tow hitch into the receiver Sad

It's approx 3 hours to fit the wheel carrier - have to remove the plastic bumper etc - but not too complicated, and oh so good to get the spare out from underneath...

cheers,

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #15293829th Apr 2007 7:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

simon_arch1 wrote:
Martin,
I'll PM you with more details
couldn't fire one this way aswell Very Happy  
Post #15298929th Apr 2007 2:15 pm
Jimbo

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Do I have to remove my tow bar to get the spare out?

Post #15315630th Apr 2007 6:13 am
simon_arch1

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Jimbo - tragically - yes you do Sad

Simon
 D3 - Buckingham Blue, SE, TDV6, 06 model; chipped; underbody armour; Mickey Thompson ATZ 275/65-18 AND MAXXIS Bighorn muddies; rear wheel carrier from 4x4intelligence.com; iPOD aux connection! GME 3200 UHF - aerial mounted on wheel carrier Smile; LR roof rails/cross bars; Autosafe cargo barrier, Safari Snorkel; Traxide - aux battery; ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch; Lightforce 240 XGT driving lights (mitchell bros tow hitch to come)  
Post #15315730th Apr 2007 6:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin Krutli

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Tow Hitch

[Catweasel wrote)]they used to say that when independant suspension first arrived and also when ABS arrived etc. even the most basic of vehicles can go wrong, the D3's pretty tough. do you offroad much and where do you go[/quote]

Hi Catweasel,

Well yes - I can remember when anti-polution gear and then EFI came out and we were convinced 'we'd all be rooin'd'. Things have come a long way since then and reliability has improved considerably (although if things do break.....)

We get off road as much as we can. Easter time were up thru Beltana and Sliding Rock - on to some pretty interesting tracks. Been up through your way into the GAwler RAnges, fair bit of Flinders Ranges, Coongie lakes, thru central Qld etc. We tow a Camper matic M3 and are pretty self sufficient.

Thanks ofr the welcome

Post #1536121st May 2007 1:34 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Baben wrote:
The towbar that I bought is comercially available, but probably not in Oz. If you like, we could ship you one over, or get your local dealer in touch with the manufacturer here? Brucehun managed to get one over to the UK for someone
It weighs quite a bit, but is quite cheap. Have a look at:

Hi Baben

How difficult is it to remove or is it a permanent fixture ?

Thanks
Heine

Post #1547006th May 2007 5:48 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Strange that you ask, c'os I was wondering the same seeing as BRS fitted mine.

Took mine off yesterday, it was a 10 minute job with a set of 17 & 19 sockets & spanners.

The most difficult part was getting the long "tang" that slides up into the chassis to release. I sprayed some Q20 up and a couple minutes later it practically fell out.
I'm thinking of greasing this next time I fit it, 'cos if it rusts up there its gonna be hell to release

Post #1547016th May 2007 5:56 pm
heine

Off I go then to throw some money at Carl

Post #1547106th May 2007 6:42 pm
Martin Krutli

Towing Hitch

So has anybody decided to order one of these beaut hitches yet? More importantly, has anyone in Australia ordered, received and fitted one to provide some feedback?

Alternatively, has anyone been able to find a potential manufacturer in Oz?

It definately looks like a good option and if I can get through the negotiation process to finally place an order for the vehicle (TDV6 SE w active diff), then the hunt will start to get serious. I apparently have till 15 May for placing the order if I want delivery by mid Oct - otherwide it's next year (and that's all too hard).

Post #1553939th May 2007 7:18 am
catweasel

your dealer is pushing for a sale, remember you're the boss come purchase time. phone interstate dealers and get prices, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Post #1553999th May 2007 7:37 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

To be honest, if I was Karl and I sent you a towbar and then you unashamedly copied it, I think I would be a bit put out. Confused
Rather negotiate a deal with the man, and buy a couple of units. They are not expensive at all copmpared to the standard LR bar that is only good for towing on-road.

I can vouch for the fact that they work. look at my gallery for proof.

Post #1554339th May 2007 9:58 am
heine

To add to this Land Rover want R5 k plus for their version , BRS is about half that including fitment . BRS has stock , Land Rover doesn't .

Post #1554439th May 2007 10:47 am
IanR

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Martin and others in Australia

I have just received an email from Hayman Reese (after pestering them for the past 6 months or so) saying:

We will have a TD3 in our workshop this week with a view to develop a specific Hayman Reese Hitch Receiver fitment.
I should have a better idea of what is and what is not feasible by later this week.
I will endeavour to email you once I have a clearer picture.

Perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel
 'S' TDV6, Air suspension, Terrain Response, Active rear diff, Safari Snorkel, Opposite Lock rear wheel carrier, OL drawer system, Cargo Barrier, Dual batteries with Rotronics isolator, GME 3440 UHF. Codan NGT HF, Asus UMPC running TrackRanger. Cooper LT245/70R17 STTs when off-road. Tow Ultimate off-road camper.  
Post #1554519th May 2007 11:34 am
Martin Krutli

Towing Hitch

Baben wrote
Quote:
To be honest, if I was Karl and I sent you a towbar and then you unashamedly copied it, I think I would be a bit put out

Hi Baben,

Not for a moment was I suggesting that - that would be most unethical. My comments were from a position of it often being simpler to purchase something that is made locally (from many perspectives). Your photos in your gallery on the hitch are excellent and I would certainly be interested in one if my order for the Disco happens and nothing appears on the local scene that appears as good.

Regards,
Martin

Post #1554549th May 2007 11:53 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Re Hayman Reese towbar:
IanR wrote:
(Response in part from Hayman Reese) ...I will endeavour to email you once I have a clearer picture...

Update: As of last Friday Martin (from Hayman Reese) advised "but the Reese Hitch will be approx 3-4 weeks" No details unfortunately in his e-mail but as IanR says, perhaps there is light at the end of the tunnel!
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #15699913th May 2007 11:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 38 <123 4 ... 363738>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >