DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Yet Another Parking Brake Error
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ron Dunbar

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Yet Another Parking Brake Error

Picked up my new D3 HSE on Friday, 5pm.
Apart from the sticky-backed wood fascia falling of the dash, everthing else seemed fine.
The first seven miles on raod motorway were a great disappointment, no go at all, sluggish as hell, not like the test drive atall but no sign of anything wrong at all (noise vibrations, warning etc.). When I found that the car wouldn't go over 65 at all, pulled off the motorway and stopped, to smell some reasonably burned brakes. Slight discolouration on the discs,but not excessive.
Phoned the dealer (just about to close) who said "never seen that before phone tomorrow if its still wrong". Got into the car to head straight back to the dealer for violence, and found the car was driving perfectly.
Friday night 60 miles OK, Saturday 100miles OK. Then on Sunday, same sluggish thing again, but not quite so bad.

I'm assuming this is the handbrake thing in some form or other - I've seen the other threads on brakes but they don't sound quite the same as this.
I've had no warnings whatsoever.

Could it be anything else?
 Ron Dunbar

Grey D4 TDV6 HSE
Skoda TDi Roomster Scout 

Post #1491129th Aug 2005 8:09 am
BravoOne

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3
Problems

I have not experienced this, but when I did have a minor problem, I was told to call out LR recovery as my dealer had just closed, I actually left it till the next day and drive it to my dealer, but he was saying that they would have come out and attempted to fix it on the road. May be worth a try?

Post #1491529th Aug 2005 8:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 
Re: Problems

BravoOne wrote:
I have not experienced this, but when I did have a minor problem, I was told to call out LR recovery as my dealer had just closed, I actually left it till the next day and drive it to my dealer, but he was saying that they would have come out and attempted to fix it on the road. May be worth a try?

Sluggisness can be the mapping, which is software related. Having spoken to a friend of mine who is a senior LRE instructor yesterday with TFC, slimer and RLD at Malvern, he thinks most of out problems, software wise are dealers lack of skill in setting up the car. Even if a dealer sets up the car, but leaves a page open in the computer when setting it can mess up things seriously.

Ron, if you car appears sluggish, does it have rolling resistance? i.e will it move on its own accord down a slight slope.

If it won't maybe mechanical, but what you discribe sounds like software.

In that case drive along slowly and select ice on the dial, it should alter the accelerator response. If it is similar to your experiences, then it is software and a dealer problem.

Post #1495029th Aug 2005 10:18 am
Ron Dunbar

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Follow up to this initial post is that the dealer took the vehicle away, retuning it the same day.

They say the problem was not the parking breke, but probably the main brakes. They reckon that the self adjusting ratchet on the brake pedal was slightly over adjusted, causing a partial braking on all four wheels.
So far today, no problems.
 Ron Dunbar

Grey D4 TDV6 HSE
Skoda TDi Roomster Scout 

Post #1517430th Aug 2005 3:00 pm
BN

England 

Ron Dunbar wrote:
Follow up to this initial post is that the dealer took the vehicle away, retuning it the same day.

They say the problem was not the parking breke, but probably the main brakes. They reckon that the self adjusting ratchet on the brake pedal was slightly over adjusted, causing a partial braking on all four wheels.
So far today, no problems.

Ron, it is all good info and I hope it is cured.

Post #1517530th Aug 2005 3:05 pm
jzk

United States 

which disks were discolored? I think the parking brake controls rear drums, so a parking brake issue would not cause any of the disks to discolor.
 LR3 HSE
http://www.pbase.com/jzk/lr3 

Post #1531231st Aug 2005 3:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BN

England 

jzk, only if the ABS system is being activated, then a discolouration could take place on all discs. Remember that if the parking brake is used on the move it automatically goes into emergency mode and applies all brakes with ABS. If there is an error maybe the same is ocurring, unless the driver has applied the parking brake on the move and it has upset the system electronics.

I hope all you guys in this thread have voted http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1065&start=45
I don't and wont give up until I have some serious data.

Post #1531631st Aug 2005 4:37 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

jzk wrote:
I think the parking brake controls rear drums.

Yup- that's what my handbook says.

I'm still dubious about electronic park brake- I've had lots of problems with car handbrakes in the past so am naturally rather cautious. Fine so far though!

There haven't been any reports of handbrake failing have there?
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #1531731st Aug 2005 4:54 pm
jzk

United States 

kevinlally wrote:
jzk wrote:
I think the parking brake controls rear drums.

Yup- that's what my handbook says.

I'm still dubious about electronic park brake- I've had lots of problems with car handbrakes in the past so am naturally rather cautious. Fine so far though!

There haven't been any reports of handbrake failing have there?

Often times i have left my vehicle in an incline situation to take pictures. I must admit that it did make me pretty nervous. A few inclines were so severe that the parking brake wouldn't hold.
 LR3 HSE
http://www.pbase.com/jzk/lr3 

Post #1531931st Aug 2005 5:23 pm
Pelyma

England 

I had this when I picked mine up. The dealer subsequently believes it is caused by leaving the car on tick over for an extended period, the car goes into a sort of safe mode. They have seen it several times and have found switching off and back on cures it.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #1532031st Aug 2005 5:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >