DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

same old fault codes it would seem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Sibbo

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3
same old fault codes it would seem

hi all

yes its a disco 3 56 plate 67000 miles bought to replace disco 2 it would seem landrover have not yet sorted reliability on these things

anyway first fault special progs off and 20mph nothing from right foot stab on brakes engine system fault? pull off road all ok ?????(puzzled) set off again engine system fault then not ..... and so on
call at dealer who cleared faults and said EGR valves x2 need looking at mmmmmmm order the said items get my local garage to fit guess what ????? yep p138e and p132a fault codes I assume that the egr codes masked the true problem but need to know where next other than scrapping it as turbos need the body work off to fix properly......

any help would be a bonus as the last disco was a money pit from new looks like 10years on they are still the same

cheers

Post #12292312nd Feb 2014 3:07 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Stab on brake = engine system fault?

Have you considered a new brake switch and swapping/replacing the brake bulbs?
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #12292562nd Feb 2014 3:45 pm
Sibbo

don't thinks its linked to brakes just had them all replaced thru that in to make point that its not a hard fault and clears itself whilst driving if you on motorway it doesn't appear so def engine related

cheers for the response

Post #12292982nd Feb 2014 5:34 pm
Robbie

Ok, but for clarity you did say:

Quote:
stab on brakes engine system fault? pull off road all ok ?????(puzzled) set off again engine system fault then not ..... and so on

So you can understand why I think this is being triggered by you pressing, brush or catching the brake pedal. A problem with that electrical circuit (switch or poor brake bulb (or non-OEM bulb)) will give the symptoms you have described.

It is a very common problem.

Thumbs Up

Diagnostics for:

Post #12293252nd Feb 2014 6:18 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

On an 06MY, you can blank your EGR's. Pair of plates for £10 available from auction sites Thumbs Up

Turbo does not need body off to replace. It is a round a days labour to replace. Before jumping to that conclusion though, check the actuator rod is free.

Both very common issues, and if you have the ability, repaired for your £10 Thumbs Up

If you press the throttle pedal, and brake pedal at the same time, it will flag up an ESF. This is not a fault Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Last edited by Disco_Mikey on 23rd Feb 2014 8:35 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #12293312nd Feb 2014 6:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sibbo

sorry to miss lead you on this but the fault is there and then not its difficult for me to get my head round it as i have not seen beyond the plastic and i will try and relate all i have read to my spanner man tomorrow i am a qualified engineer just cant see why it has to be so complicated i understand the egr principle and blanked my old td5 off it made no diff whatsoever turned out to be destroyed cat new exhaust fixed that but after lots of money diagnosing the prob

so back to my original statement...... it seems certain LR dealer ships cant fault diagnose or fix the cars they are supposed to be able to fix i shoulder to think about the poor old end user forced to scrap them cause its not cost effective to repair by the time i ve finished with this little prob i may have spent a third of what i paid for it in repair service costs in 18 months

there rant over sorry again just grinds my gears lol

cheers

Post #12293502nd Feb 2014 6:41 pm
Robbie

I don't think anyone on the forum has had a problem that could not be tracked-down. The D3 is a very easy car to work on due to its layout, space and access. The electronic mysteries are not mysteries anymore due to the effort a notable few have put into dissecting the Land Rover protocols. The forum membership will surprise you with their efforts to help - it will also save you quite a lot of money.

You have a good car that should serve you well.

Thumbs Up

Diagnostics for:

Post #12293912nd Feb 2014 7:12 pm
Sibbo

well it would seem after todays efforts that its the turbocharger that is faulty we are going to try some turbo cleaner on it maybe tomorrow to try and shift the gunge in there ...Lol
looks like previous owner never took it anywhere short journeys not good for these cars

could do with recomendations for supply and fit around the leeds area if it dont work.....

will let you know if cleaner fixes it

cheers

Post #12300653rd Feb 2014 7:38 pm
Sibbo

new turbo charger

well the diffinitive answer to fault codes the turbo control is Censored d to the tune of £1500 thank you

not happy

just to add insult to injury farnell send me an invite to look at new ones maybe land rover ought to sort the reliability of older cars before trying to sell new ones to existing customers......hahahahahahahaha uncontrollably

Post #12325667th Feb 2014 2:28 pm
RBP

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Sorry to hear that - bit of a nightmare!

Try Green Oval (site sponsors). They are Leeds side of M62. Haven't used them myself but will be cheaper than main dealer & am told they do a good job. Thumbs Up

Post #12325807th Feb 2014 2:40 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: new turbo charger

Sibbo wrote:
well the diffinitive answer to fault codes the turbo control is Censored d to the tune of £1500 thank you

not happy

just to add insult to injury farnell send me an invite to look at new ones maybe land rover ought to sort the reliability of older cars before trying to sell new ones to existing customers......hahahahahahahaha uncontrollably

http://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/530498801...1656-p.asp

As for reliability, I think you will find there are many more people on here who have had no major issues with their Disco, than those people who sign up to find out about a single issue with their Disco Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #12328607th Feb 2014 9:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sibbo

Same old problem

Update to my prob
So far had

2x egr valves fitted £800

1x ranger over sport turbo fitted £1500

500 miles into my holiday to alps guess what bloody engine management fault what in gods name is the problem????????

Bloody dangerous going up hill with traffic following no hard shoulder 30 odd ton truck behind me mmmm then suddenly nothing how I got away with that potential accident we don't know I think a hard line email to land rover is on the cards at least give the driver a chance rather than just turning it off

Just thought I'd keep you all upto speed

The question I will now be asking is does anyone know how to fix these ??????

On a lighter note the most popular car on the French roads this last week was a land rover

Post #124156223rd Feb 2014 1:36 pm
Robbie

Did you follow-up on the brake light / switch advice?

Why spend £800 on EGRs as the advice was to spend £10 on blanks?

Diagnostics for:

Post #124160923rd Feb 2014 3:01 pm
Sibbo

Blanking off the egr valves would not have fixed this fault but in order to get the garage where I bought it from to carry out the work you need to follow the thought process if the original codes say change egr then that's what would normally have fixed the problem as I have followed their method then the problem now lies at their door after changing the turbo and egr valves which they said was the problem then they will be under obligation to fix the problem at their expense

I gave up fixing cars after my range rover turned to tissue paper and my disco 2 had too many things you can't do without the neccessary equipment the fault will clear if you drop the revs to tick over but it is still there in the ecu so performance does suffer

By the way I blanked the egr and changed the airflow sensor on my disco 2 it made no difference what's o ever to the fault that it had it turned out to be a blocked exhaust

I have a saying "less is more" so the more complex the system the more to break down on my way back home from France I saw a lot of complex repair bills driving back to blighty ....lol

Have fun out there all

Sibbo

On a last note I put the new grabber tyres on 255x55x18 on they are very good in the torrential rain and are quiet on the road I paid £120 each will see on the wear so far so good

Post #124174623rd Feb 2014 6:57 pm
Robbie

Hi Sibbo,

I'm a little confused as a £10 blank fixes the EGR just as effectively as replacing them; perhaps more so as a blank can never go wrong again. It would have saved you £790 too, hence the advice earlier in this thread. Throwing money at parts may be great for the garage bottom-line but rubbish for you.

What about the brake lights and brake switch advice?

I appreciate the garage now has some responsibility towards you but they also have £2.3k of your money and have not been able to diagnose or fix your car so far. You asked for forum advice and collectively we are pretty good at it….

Diagnostics for:

Post #124175923rd Feb 2014 7:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >