Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

How to build yourself a FBH controller
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 23 <123 ... 678 ... 212223>
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

A bit confused if anyone of the people involved in this excellent thread are offering one of these for sale ,if so im definately in the market for one pm me with a cost as a remote fbh controller is my next must have treat
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #136093819th Oct 2014 7:17 pm
Chris532

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

This looks just like what I'm after. Will the end product be for sale and how much is the estimated cost of the device ? Very Happy

Thanks,

Chris.

Post #136094519th Oct 2014 7:24 pm
discostick

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

alex_pescaru wrote:
Thumbs Up

Thank you very much for sharing!

Question, if I may... Which program used for PCB design and 3D modeling?
I, for one, for PCB design, am using OrCAD but now I am searching for more intuitive alternatives.

Alex,

I used Designspark for this. Its really not too bad for this kind of work.
Otherwise we use Altium at work, but its costly!

Post #136097919th Oct 2014 8:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discostick

Thanks for all the interest.
My plans are to get my prototype board next week and start final testing. Once i am happy with it all i will consider getting a batch made up for other forum members.

There would be two options.
1) Module for use with the LR remote 3rd button, controlled by the low beam lights.
2) Module with a dedicated RF remote. (This could be added to option 1 at a later date if required. It would require soldering this module to the board, which i have designed in: http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/info_RDF1.html and buying one of these remotes: http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/info_HORNET_TX2.html#SID=10 )

I have spoken to the guys that make these remotes, i have used them for a few projects in the past and they are some of the best RF kit on the market, they are looking at a custom design for the overlay on the remote control Smile - Maybe a Disco3 special Thumbs Up

The cost...... I guess it would be no more than a new tyre once i have packaged it all up..... 8)

Post #136099219th Oct 2014 8:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Chris532

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Thanks for the reply discostick

Ill have one once they are done. If i can help by giving any feedback i will.. Im also handy with a soldering iron Smile

Post #136100119th Oct 2014 8:39 pm
discostick

alex_pescaru wrote:
Thumbs Up

I, for one, for PCB design, am using OrCAD but now I am searching for more intuitive alternatives.

Forgot to say, I use autodesk Inventor for 3D modelling / mechanical stuff.

Post #136107819th Oct 2014 10:44 pm
VMatas

Poland 

alex_pescaru wrote:
Thumbs Up

As most intuitive design system you can try Proteus Design Suite http://www.labcenter.com/index.cfm . In addition to schematic and PCB design it has a good simulator, capable simulate microcontrollers - you always can debug your project before its implementation in to hardware Smile

Post #136111420th Oct 2014 6:02 am
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I'm kinda struggling to see what the advantages are over this design and the trusted 1533 timer with remote switch. Question Question

This certainly doesn't look any cheaper of a method when 1533 timers are around £60 each or is this going to be more expensive yet cheaper than the BAS unit?

Confused.com.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #136111820th Oct 2014 7:07 am
Jay666d

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The advantage that I can see, and the bit I'm most excited about would be the fact it can be operated by the LR button... Is there a downside? Do I have to be an auto electrician to make this work?
 07 Land Rover Discovery III HSE
07 BMW 1200 GS Adventure
08 Mercedes Sprinter 

Post #136111920th Oct 2014 7:15 am
alex_pescaru

Advantage(s)?
Let's see... As said,
1. Can be wired on the car's remote because
2. Works with the car awake when 1533 doesn't and
3. Cost only a few quids (up to 10 for the basic design) if you know to make it yourself because all is given on the first post.
4. ....

So Narpy, can you find a below 10 pounds FBH remote starting system?... Very Happy

Post #136116920th Oct 2014 10:17 am
alex_pescaru

VMatas, Altium isn't the old Proteus?

LE... Sorry, now I see Altium was named Protel, not Proteus.... A confusion of terms...

Post #136117720th Oct 2014 10:29 am
VMatas

Poland 

Altium(former Protel + PCAD) is a good software, but too heavy for our projects Smile I'm very happy with Proteus and its simulation capabilities.

Post #136118420th Oct 2014 10:43 am
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

alex_pescaru wrote:

So Narpy, can you find a below 10 pounds FBH remote starting system?... Very Happy

alex_pescaru, the remote on it's own costs well over £10 before you've started making any circuit boards and adding in wiring, project box, profit etc. so I don't think your money logic stacks up somehow. Rolling Eyes
The units being described here will not be sold for less than £10.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #136124320th Oct 2014 12:28 pm
anglefire

England 

The one I had made for me (basic design with minor mods) cost less that £10 (Cost not commercial sell!) - probably nearer £5 - but it was a prototype and the board was not a pucker etched one, but a piece of vero board I think (Can't see cos its all potted up)

The ones being suggested here are a lot more complicated and will cost a lot more.

I still have to fit mine properly and also the GSM remote (I had the timer but it bust for several reasons, including dodgy soldering on my part - so the remote is already in my box of bits!) Just need to find the time and more relevant the space in the car to fit it all.

It seems to me that you either go for a simple (Ie basic option) or Pete Bells solution, unless you really are into experimental workings and have the capability to do all the design building etc.

If someone does sell them commercially, then you are into a whole bag of worms from a liability perspective. IMHO!
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #136128620th Oct 2014 1:29 pm
discostick

For me, the reason I am replacing my 1533 with this project is, as already said by others:

*it works with the LR remote (although i have now added an aftermarket RF remote module to mine as i wanted my 3rd button programmed to suspension height adjustment).
*Works with the car awake ! Huge benefit over the 1533, i can open the doors and not interrupt the heating.
*Run to a temperature set point, i much prefer this to a timed run, its more efficient.
*Clears fault when i start it, last year i had mine lock-out a few times due to failed start attempts, which was a pain having to lift the bonnet, remove the fuse and reset the unit. This way it will never lock out, if it failed to start I get a long buzzer tone and the red LED flashes for 30 mins after the failed attempt. If you have a well-behaved heater this isn’t such a problem.
*Diagnostic port, i added this so I can hook up my laptop if/when I get a fault crop up. I also like to play with the Thermotest software, I cant help myself. You can do with this with an ODB cable and splicing some wires, but i wanted it all in one neat comm/usb port.
*Prime button, so i can do my 6 monthly prime sequence without having to get my laptop out. Or just to show my mates the smoke cloud it produces on burn-off.

Then I got carried away and added a *red fault LED, an *output to run a LED to show its Running, a *cut off when the battery is getting too low and an *LED to show its priming (you cant always hear the fuel pump).

I’ve had this running for a few months now, I didn’t like having prototype boards under the bonnet so I got the PCB made.
For some people the 1533 is sufficient. I wanted more, so I made a project of it.

And most of all, its in a neat / compact unit.

I planned to make 3 or 4 boards to share with some friends/family/colleagues, but did appreciate some more "experienced" forum users offering to test these before I shared the unit around. Sometimes it’s hard to see the wood for the trees when you have spent so many hours working on it.

The units on the market were more than I was hoping to spend and didn't offer everything i wanted, this did cost more than the 1533 solution overall, but it was worth it. It offered me more functionality at half the price of the best solutions out there.

If I was to have left it in a “development” state, it can be done cheaper, but I find it hard to leave things alone until they are somewhat perfected, so a PCB, custom enclosure, quality components and an expandable configuration were my goal.

Glad this project is still getting so much interest ! Alex did a great job kicking this off.

Post #136134820th Oct 2014 3:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 7 of 23 <123 ... 678 ... 212223>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >