Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Pirelli Scorpion ATR to be discontinued?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

I think these will be my next purchase. Thumbs Up
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #122335824th Jan 2014 5:49 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Got a full new set (10mm) on the car, one with 8mm under and 2 extra spares in the garage (under tight security) with 6mm each. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Probably 5 years til I need to buy any more. Big Cry Big Cry

Post #122336324th Jan 2014 5:53 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

What sort of road mileage should I expect from a set of these, Del?

Mine spends its whole life up and down the M3. I've struggled to get any more than 20k from a set of tyres in the past (but they were only Scorpions and GG UHPs).
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #122336624th Jan 2014 5:55 pm
Ajay(UK)

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Ah but how long is that piece of string Laughing

I think it very much depends on driving style and the road surface but the current set of fronts have lasted 30k and one still has some life left in it but the other doesn't mainly due to a delayed 4 wheel alignment. Embarassed

I cannot for the life of me understand why Pirelli have stopped selling these in the UK Shocked Great all round tyre, very quiet on the road, very capable off road and I had no issues towing a 7.5t lorry up a hill in the snow a couple of winters ago Thumbs Up

Oh and at this price you can't even say they are more expensive than Zero's or most other suitable alternatives.

Andy.
 2022MY Defender 110 D250 HSE X Dynamic, Gondwana with options!
2015 Range Rover 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver, Black Pack
Gone:Disco 4 HSE Luxury, Firenze Red, Ebony/Ivory
Gone:2006 FFRR TD6 Autobiography, Black
Gone: 2013 Jaguar XKR Convertible, Italian Racing Red😢
Gone: 2008 Disco 3 HSE, Hybrid Tv + Retro-fit RSE System & DVD
Gone: 2010 FFRR TDV8 Vogue SE, RSE & DVD, Stornoway Grey 

Post #122337724th Jan 2014 6:03 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

45 - 50k seems about the norm. Plus they seem to be pretty tough, not had a single puncture in umpteen offroading jaunts. Same driving in MTRs and I'd have had at least 4. Thumbs Up

Re Pirelli not selling them, that's sheer madness. In the D3 sizes UK must be the best market by far. Unless they CBA'd making enough to sell, weird marketing philosophy but hey, ho what do we know. We're just customers. Rolling Eyes

Only thing I can conclude is these guys are in charge.

Click image to enlarge

Post #122338624th Jan 2014 6:16 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

My front ATR's (255-55-19) have done just over 37k miles and are now down to just under 5mm. I'll run them down to 3mm. I've got a new set waiting to fit Very Happy

IIRC, ATR's have 9mm tread when new, but I'd have to check that. Assuming 9mm is correct then I'm getting approx. 9,000 miles per 1mm of tread. So I'll be getting near to 55k miles from the fronts with 3mm remaining. My rear tyres wear slightly less quickly.

As the ATR's have a 50k mile conditional guarantee in the US, that's about right, as my driving style is pretty easy on tyres. The majority of my 20-25k miles pa is on the motorway and I tend to accelerate gently and don't chuck the D4 around corners.

There's a noticeable difference in when driving in muudy off road conditions now I'm down to below 5mm tread on the fronts, but that's the same with any AT or MT tyre. But on road there's no noticeable difference, unlike the Goodyear Wrangler HP's which I found tailed off considerable in noise & performance below 5mm.

I found that the 18" ATR's that I ran for a while on my D3 and were my favourite combination, wore better. I reckon I'd have got close to 60k miles from a set.

18" ATR's still officially being supplied by Pirelli to the UK and all other markets. Thumbs Up

Last edited by LT on 24th Jan 2014 7:13 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #122340024th Jan 2014 6:35 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

DSL wrote:
Re Pirelli not selling them, that's sheer madness. In the D3 sizes UK must be the best market by far. Unless they CBA'd making enough to sell, weird marketing philosophy but hey, ho what do we know. We're just customers. Rolling Eyes ]

You've got to look at the bigger picture with Pirelli. Sales of Scorpion ATR's in percentage terms is going to be a lot less in comparison to Scorpion Zero's and probably the rest of the Scorpion range. As very few owners of SUV/4X4's ever venture further off road than the school playing field or a caravan site, they're not going to consider buying an All Terrain tyre.

Worldwide sales of Pirelli SUV/4X4 tyres must also be a lot less compared to their "car" tyres, despite the popularity of SUV's in the US and other markets..

As such, Pirelli have never really actively marketed the ATR in the UK. I can't recall ever seeing an advert for them.

In comparison General Tires, through the sole UK Importer Micheldever tyres and it's various trading divisions, are aggressively marketing their General Grabber range of SUV/4X4 tyres. Look in any 4X4 magazine and you'll see large adverts.

Perhaps Pirelli just can't be bothered to compete for what's such a tiny part of their worldwide sales.

What I can't fathom out, is why Pirelli have stopped official supply to the UK and most (if not all) of the EU for 19" ATR's but not 18" Confused

Good news is you can still buy them from on line suppliers and although they've increased in price recently, they're still at a good price from Tyreleaders:
http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres-255-55-19/?s=S&ty=O

Zero's cheap as well Thumbs Up

Post #122342824th Jan 2014 7:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >