Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Tappet type of noise from my TDV6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
oncdov

Belgium 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

stapldm wrote:
Oncdov, as it now turns out that my 'noise' can disappear, we may not be experiencing the same thing; but in any case I'd certainly like to hear if the dealer finds anything - good luck!

Dealer confirms there is something strange going on.

LR Belgium tech guys acknowledge the fact, however... I got the following responses from LR this morning (after they drove the car for 10 minutes)

"- We don't know what is causing it.
- It is not an alarming sound.
- The only solution to solve this would be to replace the entire engine.
- Every D3 engine sounds different.
- It is a matter of how you as a driver experience this and it is only a comfort issue."

Wrong answers to the wrong person!

Post #12415826th Jan 2007 12:09 pm
oncdov

A chief technical officer from LR Belux will come and pick up my car 2nd week of FEB for full examination.

Post #12434626th Jan 2007 9:37 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Oncdov,

Sounds like you'll need to be persistent as that LR response just sounds like they want you to ignore the issue and go away. A couple of those statements are obviously designed to be play down your concerns but how can they possibly say that they don't know what's causing it AND the only solution is a new engine? If they think the only solution is a new engine, then they obviously know what the problem is! Muppets!

I wish you all the best for your February inspection, good luck and keep us posted huh?.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #12436726th Jan 2007 10:20 pm
razzle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Tappet noise in engine

I am experiencing the same thing with my new MY07 TDv6, a very annoying tappet noise from the engine from 1500-2000 rpm, with very little load. The noise just travels through the cabin and is really very annoying.The test Discoverys I drove over the last few months where vitually silient and you had a job to tell it was a diesel motor.
Something is definately changed in the new 07 model engines and needs to be followed up.

I will have to wait until 3 weeks time before I am back home and can contact my dealer to chase things up.

Post #12459128th Jan 2007 12:09 pm
oncdov

Noise is getting worse. Cold engine is 'acceptable'. Warm engine is causing more noise, not only when accelerating but now also on cruising speeds (between 2000 and 2300 RPM)

Post #12543130th Jan 2007 4:56 pm
stapldm

From another thread:
LRtuning wrote:
LR has increased 'low and mid range' rpm fuelling to improve both 'pick-up' and response and this has resulted in a lot more 'diesel knock'....I'm afraid it wont go away Sad

I like the new response and pickup of the 2007! As such, I'm prepared to live with more noise to a point.
I have however succeeded in reducing the noise level:

1. I fixed the 'resonant' sound I could hear - it was a loose bonnet, front left catch was loose. I adjusted the rubber stop under that corner to ensure a tight fit, and that part of the noise is now history. As such the loudest part of the sound I could hear has now gone.

2. Today was the day I got down to an empty tank of fuel; filled up with Shell diesel instead of cheapo supermarket fuel and went for a drive. I know it's hard to be objective about this, but I'd say that the remaining noise had reduced by around 25% between me driving up to the pump and driving away. I don't know if this is coincidence due to a different winter fuel mix or is genuinely from better additives.

Oncdov, worth checking your bonnet catches? Leaning gently on mine on one corner allowed the bonnet to dip slightly, even though it was locked in the catch mechanism. I'm guessing I hit the resonant frequency of my bonnet panel at said frequencies and it was vibrating in the catch. The rubber stop once adjusted (it turns on a spiral rubber screw to adjust) seems to fix this. Good luck.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Post #1261981st Feb 2007 5:06 pm
Calcul@tor

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

I've been running round in an 07MY car for the last few days and have to agree that it is much noiser than my 54 05MY. But the responsiveness is also better, although after multiple software upgrades etc my 54 is far better than it used to be. Razz
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #1262071st Feb 2007 5:25 pm
oncdov

Car came back from LR Belux today.
Engineers agree that the car is noisier and were told by LR UK not to compare 07MY with 06MY. 07 seems to be noisier by design? Why did I not notice the noise during the first few days with less then 1000 KM on the clock.

They could not find anything wrong with the car (also fitted computer test equipment whilst driving) - however some redesign on the injection appeared to have been done on the 07MY. They could not compare with another 07MY because apperantly I'm the only one with 4000 KM (says LR).
The noise only started after 1500 KM or so.

I hope 'known issues' and possible solutions will appear via this board soon so we can confront LR with facts.

Right now the only solutions is to keep the radio/cd playing at all times to cover the background noise.

D.

Post #13011615th Feb 2007 11:27 am
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 

My MY07(manual) is still "noisy" after 2000 miles. It has got no worse or better and is only really noticeable between 1800 and 2500 rpm with low load on the engine. Cruising at 70mph in 6th puts it right in this range but it just isnt noticeable at high speeds.
I was in another MY07(auto) a couple of days ago and would say his was much the same as mine, so this does seem to be a feature of the re-tuned MY07 engine. I don't mind if its not as quiet as the MY06 models as long as I keep getting 28 to 33 MPG in normal driving which the MY06's seem to struggle to do.
I don't have any sort of flat spot on pull away either.

Post #13012415th Feb 2007 12:39 pm
stapldm

I saw a write-up on one of the new BMW X5 Euro IV compliant engines somewhere recently, and they had increased the common rail fuel pressure to 1600 BAR to help reach compliance - perhaps LR did something similar and the injectors need to be a lot more powerful (noisy) to cope with switching such high pressures ?

Can one of our experts comment?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:

Post #13018815th Feb 2007 3:43 pm
oncdov

freebie2disco wrote:
I was in another MY07(auto) a couple of days ago and would say his was much the same as mine, so this does seem to be a feature of the re-tuned MY07 engine. I don't mind if its not as quiet as the MY06 models as long as I keep getting 28 to 33 MPG in normal driving which the MY06's seem to struggle to do.

I fully understand that some changes on 07MY have caused differences in engine behavior (sa. noise), however I still find this noise very irritating and it's way beyond the limits of what I would call acceptable. Even more frustrating is that the official LR experts don't have a clue on what is causing it.

Post #13311325th Feb 2007 10:43 pm
razzle

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I finally took my car to the dealer and took a mechanic for a drive. As these things go the noise was'nt that loud when we went for a drive and he said it sounded fine to him.

I think it appears to depend on how you first drive the vehicle when you start off as the transmission will adapt to your driving pattern. If you have to do a lot of fast stop/start (ie. City)driving the engine will fly through the gears and hold in higher rev's and then I don't notice it.
But when you drive a little more gently and slowly go through the gears I notice it.

The 07 SE TD V6 is more louder than the 06 TDV6 but I don't seem to notice it as much, the more I run it in (1800km's).

The 07 model is probably not as refined to drive as the 06 model noise wise but I have been getting outstanding fuel economy. 8.2lt's per 100km on longer trips (200 km road trip, Air Con on, 100-110 speed zones), which i believe is better than the 06 model.

Post #1355275th Mar 2007 6:36 am
oncdov

The noise is getting worse... I'm convinced it's not only a matter of design.
Will bring the car back to the dealer

Post #13785311th Mar 2007 10:07 pm
stapldm

Oncdov, in my case I can definitely quieten down (not remove) the noise by my choice of fuel station.
So far in the UK I have had the following results from different fuels, 2 full tanks of each for comparison :
Shell : The quietest and the best MPG so far at 27.5 MPG.
Supermarket - Sainsbury's : A little noisier than Shell and only 26MPG.
Supermarket - Asda : Noisier again and only 25MPG.
Esso : Sounds like a metal drum full of squirrels throwing metal washers at each other. 24.5 MPG.
BP : Not yet tested.
Additives : Not yet tested.

My personal choice is to avoid Esso and ASDA from now on...do you have a choice of providers to do such a test on?
By the way, I suspect that the supermarket fuel will vary with area; depending where each store sources it's fuel from.

Good luck at the dealers!
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:

Post #13800012th Mar 2007 1:26 pm
GDL

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

i completly agree with what you've found and can add that BP is'nt to bad either but the quietest is BP ULTIMATE but try as i might i could not get it to give me better fuel figures than shell .I HOPE YOU GIVE ME AN EXCUSE TO TRY THE BP AGAIN AS THE ENGINE SOUNDS SWEET ON IT!!

Post #13806312th Mar 2007 5:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >