Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Stop / Start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

The dealer checked all the settings on mine when the Stop/Start failed in May/June and also charged the battery. It would then work fine for 2 or 3 days before I had to recharge the battery myself to get it to work again. Eventually that failed too and the dealer "as a last resort" replaced the main battery and it had worked fine since June until only last week.

It is possible the battery had taken a bit of a hammering a few days previous when the car had been washed and the interior lights had been on and off all morning plus the use of a 12v tyre pump.

I had it on the Ctek from Monday evening until Wednesday morning and over the past two days the Start/Stop has worked fine. Thumbs Up

This morning it operated when I came to a stop at traffic lights before the car had warmed up fully and surprisingly even with the heated screens and headlights on. That was after the car had been stood for 12 hours overnight with a permanently powered Blackvue dashcam and an outside temperature of -3 degrees. The fbh had also been run for 20 minutes or so before start up so a further drain on the battery this morning.

I am sure every time the Stop/Start has failed to operate it has been solely as a result of low battery voltage. The overnight charge has been carried out via the 12s towing socket using one of Martin's adapters which are sold on here.

Will see how it goes over the next few days Thumbs Up

Post #188528930th Nov 2017 10:36 pm
D4-Russ

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

The dealer never got mine working, blaming the short journeys my wife does throughout the week.
After a 350 mile round trip at the weekend it still doesn’t work and the LR warranty ran out 2 days ago Big Cry
 D4 MY15 (64) SE Tech, Loire Blue
Front Runner Rack and ladder 

Post #188529130th Nov 2017 10:48 pm
Dannyson

England 

I wouldn't worry about it...... it will come back on when it feels it is right to do so...... thats my experience with it anyway.

Other Brands seem to have the same issue - my son - works for Vauxhall (pretty high up)... and they have the same ...... day after day after day after day..... you get the drift........ Rolling Eyes - drives him nuts!!
 2016MY Discovery HSE - Black
2009MY Toyota Land Cruiser (Lc4) - Black 

Post #18853311st Dec 2017 12:53 am
D4-Russ

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Ha! Yeh, not unduly worried, I prefer it not working anyway!
 D4 MY15 (64) SE Tech, Loire Blue
Front Runner Rack and ladder 

Post #18853911st Dec 2017 11:17 am
Iguana

Ukraine 

I've now got in the habit of switching the 'Eco' button on (Or is it off), so stop start doesn't work.....will hopefully prolong the life of the crank Laughing
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #18853941st Dec 2017 11:52 am
Muddy Steve

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Well had a call, i can collect my car this afternoon. Still not fixed Evil or Very Mad Sad

Apparantly LRCS will be in touch today.

Whatever it is its draining the battery enough even with the car running to stop the system working but they cannot find the cause of the drain still

A friend has suggested a bigger capacity battery may be required, if someone in the know can shed light on the following

When the stop start was introduced did the main battery size become smaller because the car was having two batterys?
 MY16 HSE Firenze Red Loving it
MY14 XS (Gone and missing it like mad)
Firenze Red
Remote FBH (Beanie)
20" 510 style with Scorpions
19" 704 style with Duratracs (Once the winter comes) 

Post #18854491st Dec 2017 2:04 pm
Robert SausageTrousers

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 4

Mines in on Thursday to be fixed, I cant say I'm that optimistic having read all this.

Post #18855091st Dec 2017 5:13 pm
Muddy Steve

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Well still not fixed and still awaiting a desicion. Stop start still not working at all, climate still not working same problem as everyone else (Temp), and the grinding noise still evedant when low speed manouvering.

The dealer is now saying their hands are tied until LR get back to them Evil or Very Mad
 MY16 HSE Firenze Red Loving it
MY14 XS (Gone and missing it like mad)
Firenze Red
Remote FBH (Beanie)
20" 510 style with Scorpions
19" 704 style with Duratracs (Once the winter comes) 

Post #18864444th Dec 2017 12:32 pm
RAW

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Got mine back and now working fine, it ended up being a bad cell in the primary Battery, New Battery fitted under warranty and it started working again, will have to wait and see how long for now
 MY18 RRS Autobiography Fuji White
MY15 D4 silver Commercial
MY11 D4 Fuji White Landmark (Gone)
MY11 D4 Silver Commercial(Gone)
Isuzu Utah D Max(Gone)
John Deere Gator HPX
Nifty Lift HR12
Kubota KX41-2 

Post #18865584th Dec 2017 7:06 pm
jonno1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Took my dealership 14 months to agree with me that the main battery was faulty. They wanted £399 +vat. However I pointed out that this had all been documented in the past and that I would not be paying just because the Warranty was out.
They replaced the battery in the end saying that it was a goodwill gesture.

Post #18865694th Dec 2017 7:27 pm
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

After the overnight Ctek charge a week ago, my stop/start has worked without fail and thats with some of the coldest mornings, head lights, wipers, heated seats & windows etc all in use.

Still feel that some of the factors mentioned which could prevent it working such as in/out temperature, heater settings etc dont influence it that much, but a good battery condition is the essential factor for it to operate Thumbs Up

Post #18866584th Dec 2017 11:28 pm
Robert SausageTrousers

The dealer had my car for two days, I picked it up yesterday and they told me that they'd charged both batteries and done a 'hard reset' on the stop start and that they'd had it working in the garage, I could tell by the way she was explaining it all to me that she knew full well that the problem wouldn't be fixed. She said that if I use anything like AC/heated seats etc it'd drain the battery meaning the stop/start wouldn't work - my reply was that it was clearly not fit for purpose then!

Anyway, drove the car home without the stop/start working once! I'll be ringing them next week.

Post #18881939th Dec 2017 10:49 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

Exactly what Dannyson said Thumbs Up

There are so many variables that will contribute to it working, or not working, that it seems completely random. What’s important is that it worked during the original emissions test, the test that put the car in the lower VED band and saved D4 drivers around £300 a year Thumbs Up

I’m happy that, despite doing lots of miles, mine only works very occasionally so there are that many less occasions when I have to turn the system off Thumbs Up

I’d give it a rest and move on. With the number of variables that there are, I’m absolutely convinced that there’ll be no practical way of testing the system in any future MoT test, even if the DoT even thought of it. Considering that they’re struggling to detect if DPF’s have pretty blatantly been removed (and that’s relatively simple to detect), they wouldn’t know where to start with this one! Rolling Eyes
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #18881979th Dec 2017 11:08 am
Robert SausageTrousers

Fair point but they sold me a car for £40k that doesn't work as it should, I could ignore it but when it comes time to sell i'll being trying to sell a vehicle with a non-working part, which will effect its value.

I've just done another 30 miles odd and it hasn't worked once, not once since they returned it to me apparently fixed.

Post #18882559th Dec 2017 2:54 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

All 6 of my Land Rovers have come supplied with Stop Start and they've all worked, or not worked, to varying degrees. The first one was sold to a colleague at work, three have been traded back to three different Land Rover dealers* and one has gone to an independent trader; I am pleased to confirm that no one has taken the slightest interest in whether the Stop Start was working!

As long as the service history has been up to date, all of the documentation is correct, that nothing (like the spare wheel or locking wheel nut key) is missing, the tyres have at least 4mm remaining and the car has been in cosmetically good condition, then that's all that anyone has ever wanted to know.

* A 2 year old FL2 to Hunters in Norwich, a two year old FL2 to Carrs in Truro and a 1 year old D4 to County at Barnstaple (so all of them of reasonable value and certain to be re-sold by the dealer).
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #18882709th Dec 2017 4:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >