Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Smoke from under bonnet / restricted performance/and other..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
fosters35

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 4
Smoke from under bonnet / restricted performance/and other..

Hi all

We purchased a used D4 (2010) HSE last week and have had a few probs in this short time which I wanted to ask you about for any advice.

1. The amber triangle with an exclamation mark came up with 'restricted performance' on the 3rd day.
It seems to come on only when the car has been switched off for 10 mins or so then restarted again (IE: school run) but performance doesn't seem to be affected.
From cold it doesn't seem to come on however.

2. Another thing I noticed this morning was that I had to move the car from our drive to the road (as we have building work going on). The car was started from cold and only on for 1 minute but when I switched the engine off and got out, I could smell exhaust fumes and saw smoke coming out the front wheel arches.
Is this abnormal or was it just a result of a cold start with the engine only on for a very short time???

I've since checked on other engine swittch offs from normal running and everything seems ok with no smell or smoke.

3. The front park sensors make no noise when parking but upon starting the car, they start beeping if parked up against something.

4. The car has a fresh MOT and tax. Should we have a certificate for the MOT when we purchased the car as we have nothing on paper about the MOT?
(We've had new cars in the past so not had to deal with MOTs for several years and not sure if things have changed like the tax has?)

Finally, I should point out that we purchased the car from a LR main dealer under there approved scheme which gives us an authorised 2 year LR warranty and while we're disappointed with these problems, it does give us some piece of mind knowing the problems should get fixed without cost.
In saying that, surely there 150+ checks should have at least picked up on the parking sensor issue?

We also have 30 days to return the car if we've bought a dog!

Any suggestions guys...

Post #144578720th Mar 2015 7:07 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

For 2 search FBH (fuel burning heater) and all will be revealed. I assume it was cold this morning?

No idea re 3 as don't have a D4 but that sounds normal from what I've read.

For 4 yes you should have a certificate, have you phoned the dealer? Welcome to the world of running old cars. Thumbs Up

1 sounds like your only real issue, get the dealer to sort it. Thumbs Up

Post #144579820th Mar 2015 7:34 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

The front parking sensors will only work if you have gone through reverse gear, or you can manually put them on by pressing the button on the dash.

Smoke was probably from the fuel burning heater.

The MOT's are electronic now, I can't remember if I was given one when I collected my car, do have one now though following its MOT from a few weeks back.

Ask the dealer about it and the warning triangle as well.
 Andy

Post #144580920th Mar 2015 7:51 pm
Fitzy73

Welcome by the way! Thumbs Up
 Andy

Post #144581020th Mar 2015 7:52 pm
Comanche

Wales 

As far as Im aware the parking sensors only activate once reverse has been selected unless of course you press the dash button Thumbs Up

Edit- Too slow again Sad
 I started off with nothing and Ive still got most of it left.  
Post #144581220th Mar 2015 7:53 pm
Fitzy73

It's the first time I have ever beaten anyone with a useful answer!
 Andy

Post #144582020th Mar 2015 7:58 pm
fosters35

Thanks one and all for your speedy and helpful replies - has certainly re-assured me Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

So you need to press the front park button for them to work. Will try that when out next.
Seems odd its not on by default though!

Forgot to add in original post, car is booked in already to dealer on Monday so fingers crossed.

For the 'fuel burning heater' issue a couple of you mention, whilst the smoke under wheel arches hasn't returned on normal use, I have noticed when the missus leaves in the morning from a cold start, both exhausts do give off some smoke under acceleration.

I've done some searching on here and am I right in thinking the 'LTB00487v3 excessive exhaust smoke / turbo drain mod' is needed to fix this and if so, is this something the dealer should do under warranty without any quibbling?

Post #144582420th Mar 2015 8:05 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Smoke under the wheel arch is perfectly normal, it's the exhaust for the FBH. It will only do it under a certain ambient temp and coolent temp, expect to only see it on cold mornings.

Post #144582820th Mar 2015 8:11 pm
MarsKy

Scotland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

fosters35 wrote:
So you need to press the front park button for them to work. Will try that when out next.
Seems odd its not on by default though!

1. When reverse gear is selected, the front and rear parking sensors are activated automatically, and the switch indicator will illuminate.
To manually activate the front sensors press the PDC button (the "P" button on the fascia), a short confirmation tone will be heard, and the switch indicator will illuminate.
To turn off the system when active, press the button. The switch indicator will extinguish.

2. The range of the parking aid sensors varies between the front, rear and corners of the vehicle. The front sensors and rear corner sensors have an approximate range of 600 mm (24 inches). The centre rear sensors have an approximate range of 1500 mm (60 inches).
The front sensors will remain active as long as the vehicle's speed does not exceed 16 km/h (10 mph).
In vehicles fitted with automatic transmission, selecting N from R will keep front and rear sensors active.

When objects are detected, the parking aid emits a warning tone which increases in frequency as the vehicle gets closer to the object and then becomes constant when the obstacle is within 300 mm (12 inches).
Note: The front parking aid provides an audible proximity warning when driving forwards and when reversing.

TOWING
The rear sensors are automatically disabled when a trailer is connected.

SENSOR CARE
When washing the vehicle do not aim high pressure water jets directly at the sensors. Do not use abrasive materials or hard/ sharp objects to clean the sensors. Only use approved vehicle shampoo (not Wash'n'Go).
The sensors should be kept clean to maintain accuracy and performance.

SYSTEM FAULT
If a system fault is detected, a long high-pitched tone will sound, and the switch indicator will flash. Contact your Dealer/ Authorised Repairer as soon as possible.

Post #144587220th Mar 2015 9:15 pm
fosters35

While searching here over the weekend, I came across some owners mentioning the casing was coming off the keyfobs and these were covered under warranty.

The spare key on ours is doing this and when the car went in today, we mentioned about a new key under warranty but the service guy was unsure if it was still covered as the original warranty has run out.

Should the key still be covered under our new '2 year Land Rover assured warranty' or not?

Post #144713823rd Mar 2015 3:46 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Please fill in your vehicle profile - it helps us to help you.

The key fob is probably not covered now, but no harm in asking the supplying dealer.

A new fob (latest design) is about £55 plus costs of programming it to the vehicle - a forum member or sponsor will be cheaper when it comes to key programming.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #144713923rd Mar 2015 3:49 pm
Fitzy73

I changed the case on one of my keys myself and have the other to do. This is just the front and back plastic bits though.

I think they were only about £14ish pounds for both key cases, order from Duckworths one of the forum sponsors. When I get home I will try to remember to search out the part numbers.
 Andy

Post #144715123rd Mar 2015 4:12 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

That would be a cheaper option.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #144715423rd Mar 2015 4:16 pm
Sheepy

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Welcome!

Mine smokes slightly when driven away from cold, and not for long. Get the feeling they all do that!

FBH is alarming at first, and more alarming for others who see the car pouring smoke seemingly from under the bonnet on a cold morning.

I had my key replaced just before the original 3yr warranty expired. However if it's an LR approved warranty, can't see why the key can't be covered.

Post #144717223rd Mar 2015 5:15 pm
Fitzy73

The part number for the key fob covers (D4) is LLR052882.

I ordered two so that I could change the front and rear covers on both keys. I ordered them in October 14 at £6.50 each including delivery.

I am not in the least bit technical and whilst it was a little fiddly to do, if I can change them anyone can.
 Andy

Post #144723423rd Mar 2015 7:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >