Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Oil level critically low...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
Oil level critically low...

Would be interested in whether anyone else may have seen this message as it flashed up in bright red across the dash last night whilst at speed in the outside lane of the M25...

I'm also slightly surprised that there hasn't been an earlier warning of a simpler nature... something like 'check oil' would have done but, oh no... straight in with the "OIL LEVEL CRITICALLY LOW" and an accompanying red triangle...

Now I can accept that I'm not a regular oil level checker but having had two FL2's and a high mileage D4 that never consumed a drop between services (that you could identify...), felt that LR might have cracked the oil issues...

Current D4 has covered just 13k from new - it took a litre (which took it above the 'Min' mark) and is still asking for me to add a further 0.5 litre!

My old Audis used so much oil that I thought they were 2-stroke (litre every 5,000 miles) but I'm surprised at the D4.

Anyone else had this sort of consumption or similar messages / issues?
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #133215631st Aug 2014 7:06 pm
sputnixb51

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Big engines especially diesels can use some oil until run in then use less,but in this case as you don't know the level it started life at(hopefully full)I would monitor it from now on and if it's using it at a high rate get Land rover involved.

Post #133217231st Aug 2014 7:34 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Yep... the level of PDI incompetence was almost staggering (tyres inflated to 60psi Shocked and various other niggles...) so will be monitoring use very closely moving forward!

Still came as a shock to find it going straight to a critical level with no interim warning...

D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #133219831st Aug 2014 8:08 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

In the first 20k or so oil consumption tends to be higher as the engine block absorbs it.

First D4 had about 2 litres in the first 20k then very little, though it suggested 2 litres first time but luckily had only put litre in before it registered full

Just had to have the oil sensor unit replaced on mine, apparently it does not monitor the levels when the engine is running, it switches off. Had wondered if it just relied on a pressure switch for when critically low. now I know.
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #133221531st Aug 2014 8:28 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

our d4 is 12 months old this week 8900 miles ..we have used 2 litres in that time..apparently running in stuff

Post #133222131st Aug 2014 8:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

LiftedDisco wrote:
Yep... the level of PDI incompetence was almost staggering.

Good job you aren't doing them Rolling with laughter Wink

Manual states check the oil every week and there is only one warning for low oil Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #133223031st Aug 2014 8:48 pm
LiftedDisco

DG... just shows how dangerous complacency can be... Embarassed

Three vehicles down, something like 90k on each and so hadn't been paying proper attention this time around...

Mea Culpa!

Post #133227331st Aug 2014 9:44 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I have to be honest once a week oil checks in 2014 is a bit strong IMO...but then again if we were all flying planes I bet we wouldn't miss one Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #133227931st Aug 2014 9:53 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
One would assume...

One would assume...that a new Disco would have a correctly filled...at the top level quantity of oil in it when built.....if LR dont do this who will ?
...the delivery dealer can only look at the either the same gauge on the dash or with the diagnostics (using the same sensor) see it on their diagnostic equipment ?
...I am supposing that they have either the same reading or something a bit better ?

all a Disco 4 owner driver can actually do is look at the dash board gauge (like maybe every week) & respond to the messages.....add oil & see the dash gauge respond & "go up"....& not add too much.

I would have expected that the first couple of thousand miles will or would be the highest consumption ones oil wise.....the engine is bedding itself in the engine block & parts do not "soak oil up" in any way.
Dependant on the type of use (stop-start) /style (speeds & loads) will dictate the amount of oil used / burnt....2 litres in 8-9000 miles to me is to my humble opinion a bit high.

if amber denotes low (top with 0.5 or 1.0 litres) or high (too much oil added) & red means below minimum or critically low add 1.5 litres....does give you a warning that isn't there on a dipstick equipped vehicle - but you still have to switch on look though & maybe wait 10 - 20 minutes to get a result & according to the handbook it has a warning light to say its at fault...whether this warns when vehicle moving or stopped others will no doubts advise....

Realistically...you are only doing what millions & millions & millions of other vehicle users actually do (unless ones chauffeur does it) OPEN THE BONNET (HOOD), undo the filler cap & pour...if your in the engine by area its just as easy to use a dipstick & its instant & deadly accurate reading tells you like it is...

Unless you break it or "it fails"

.....to me LR, Jag & many others have missed the point & not fitted both...
the campaign continues....
......maybe I ought to create a company that fits them.....Dipsticks R Us
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #133229331st Aug 2014 10:31 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Quote:
.the engine is bedding itself in the engine block & parts do not "soak oil up" in any way.

Its a graphite block Bruce so it will absorb oil Wink

Last edited by DG on 31st Aug 2014 10:41 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #133229931st Aug 2014 10:39 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Don't worry Rob. Mine used oil before 1st service, then used 1 litre between 1st and 2nd service, now seems to to sit permanently at full when I can be not here's to check

Post #133230031st Aug 2014 10:40 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

DG wrote:
Quote:
.the engine is bedding itself in the engine block & parts do not "soak oil up" in any way.

Its a graphite block Bruce so it will absorb oil Wink

are you trying to tell me the cast iron engine block will absorb that much oil it will show on the level sensor ......like in the first few thousand miles (or kilometres) measurable parts of a litre...? i.e. it this what makes the initial miles oil consumption somewhat greater ?....here we are talking about litres of oil....

As an engineer my grasp of metallurgy is reasonable & doesn't concur with this oil take up suggestion at all...cast iron is a metal that is an alloy of various elements dependant on what duty it has & it can be made with a variety of properties....but machined surface or rough cast - oil if on this surface can be wiped & washed off readily & whats left isn't a cast iron with adsorbed oil....its cast iron (look at any diagrams of the iron cementite phases of the metal)....its a cast metal....maybe if it were a sintered metal it may take on some oil.

The litres of oil we are talking about are being sensed by a solid state device that hasn't that much discrimination (basically quite crude "steps") as opposed to a fine level measurement that can be seen...& we have no absolute starting point as the degree of oil fill level may vary.

either sensor or dipstick you gave to have a look occasionally & if one follows the fuel cap direction every 600 miles it means about every tank & a half of fuel...& with anything new & a bit unproven.....its wise to look.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.

Last edited by BLFarrar on 1st Sep 2014 7:53 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13323881st Sep 2014 7:29 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

DG wrote:
I have to be honest once a week oil checks in 2014 is a bit strong IMO...

Agreed....I didn't own mine for the first 8.5k miles,so can't comment on that,but since I've had it the oil level hasn't moved between Services......I would say I check it monthly,however, the little graphic on the inside of the fuel filler flap (which I do get to see on a regular basis) suggests I should be checking it every 600 miles Confused
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #13323961st Sep 2014 7:38 am
BLFarrar

DG wrote:
I have to be honest once a week oil checks in 2014 is a bit strong IMO...but then again if we were all flying planes I bet we wouldn't miss one Laughing

if you looked every second tank of fuel..if there were any significant change (or oil use) you can attend to it - either add some or know it will need some soon.
As sophisticated as vehicles are (even in 2014) the use of oil & oil consumption is still a fact of use...if the engine is burning oil it doesn't matter if its bargain basement or racing car specification - it will be burnt.

I would go along with having a sensor system if it gave me a level check every time it was used (without the 10 - 20 mins wait....which means a faster than of now system) & a warning light that told me before it was at critical low...that would make sense.
My 760 Volvo in the mid 80's had a better oil level sensor than this LR/Jag one will ever will be...there all the time & fast acting.....+ a dipstick
 BREXIT - done properly.

Post #13324011st Sep 2014 8:02 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

In this case the driver received a low oil warning even though he had not made an effort to check the level.

Sounds like the system working as designed. A car with only a dipstick that had not had its level checked would have continued, perhaps to the point of damage.

BLF - I may have misunderstood you but you appear to think that the dipstick is 'fast acting' when compared to the oil sensor. If so you are mistaken as similar measures have to be taken to get an accurate reading on a dipstick.

I am pretty sure I could press the buttons faster than most could open the bonnet, find a rag, withdraw and clean the stick before replacing and withdrawing again to read the level.

Hurrah for the sensor!

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #13324101st Sep 2014 8:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >