New low cost BBS Fault Code tool launched
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 9 123456789>
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
New low cost BBS Fault Code tool launched

Hiya All

Some of you may have noticed that we are really quite an active little bunch of folk here at Blackbox Solutions.
Where not so long ago, our system offered little more capability than Fault Code Reading and Clearing with a promise from me of more to follow, and IIRC, i asked what you all wanted, but now; well i guess you can hardly miss noticing just what an awesomely capable kit it our MSV-2 has started to become, and we are not through yet by a long shot. Thumbs Up

However we are aware that our standard FAULTMATE MSV-2 is still a bit too expensive for many to afford, but sadly with its capability just growing and growing, and it's hardware being so advanced, there really is no way we could possibly make it any cheaper.

This is a shame because as i see it, the worst concern, worry and negative aspect of owning and running a Disco 3 or indeed any of the later Technology laden Land Rovers, especially the earlier ones is the constant nagging worry that the technology can and probably will break down at the worst possible time and leave you stranded and powerless. That concern is made even worse when the car does something unusual, flashes a lamp, gives you a warning message or whatever.

Thats even more a shame for us as we genuinely want to help, and we know, just as any single one of our equipments owners will also happily tell you, that the sense of security and relief that having your own diagnostic equipment to hand at all times is something so transforming you can barely translate the feeling at all.

So, several months ago, despite our uber busy schedule, and knowing it would slow down the SW development a little on the MSV-2 flashing, I got my team round and we all put on our best thinking hats and ultimately started work on a developing a brand new low cost fault code Reading and clearing tool we have decided to call the FAULTMATE FCR.

And due only to my crew working double hard, especially Marcus (Cheers Chap) to get this out in time for Christmas, as it really is an absolutely ideal present, I am now most proud to introduce it to you all on behalf of myself and all my staff.

Click image to enlarge

Heres another picture that shows the back light a bit better.

Click image to enlarge

If anyone is curious as to what vehicles and on board systems it will cover on them, It is very extensive. D3 / D4 RRS inc 2010 L322 FFRR, Defender and Freelander 2.
see the full coverage list of vehicles and systems on each here
http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/download...te_FCR.pdf

The price is the same for all models, Basically 199 GBP + Vat & P&P, and it is single vehicle.
Much more info can be obtained by reading the literature for it here.

http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/download...te_FCR.pdf

And finally for those who like to see a bit of action i have quickly knocked up a little video for you, which is a bit biggish at the mo (9MB) but will be sorted and You tubed etc in a couple of days.

http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/downloads/videos/FCRDemo1.wmv

If anyone has any further questions, or comments to make, please feel free.

Oh yea, I almost forgot Laughing
10% off to all established members under our usual criteria before Christmas.

see, glad you read all the way to the bottom of my essay this time Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Warmest regards to all

Colin

BTW if you want to try and win one there is a competition for one in this months LRE magazine Thumbs Up

Last edited by BBS SPY on 7th Dec 2009 8:05 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #5599363rd Dec 2009 5:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Colin, looks excellent Thumbs Up

Do you have a screen shot of what info we can expect to see on pc?
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #5599583rd Dec 2009 6:20 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Its not for a pc ..its a stand alone one

Looking Good Colin , glad you managed to get it released before Xmas Thumbs Up
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #5599633rd Dec 2009 6:28 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya Tanters
It does have a USB port, as you can clearly see in the picture and it is supplied with a lead to coneect it to a PC with that, but thats only so it can be re flashed / upgraded, have its language swapped and have any bugs fixed. Rolling with laughter

It is in no way designed or intended to mimic or compete with our existing full on flagship MSV-2 system, which will but continue to grow ever more and more powerful and capable in the way that has already been witnessed to do so.

Wiggs
Yep spot on, it sure was not easy, but i so wanted it to be ready for everyone in time for Christmas, i really had to push my chaps far harder than i would have liked, and fair play to them they have done an absolutely sterling job.
The first time i saw it working myself was about 3 pm today and i only got one i could demo and video at about 4ish. So it is still a bit rough round the edges on the video.

But now it is completed and working as it should, we can polish the operation up a bit and already before going home we made it scroll the fault text much faster, start mid screen and where the faults are currently listed as
FAULT 1
FAULT 2
FAULT 3
etc
has been replaced with

1) U1234
2) B5678
3) P4321
etc

We have also now alphabetically arranged the ECU list.

There is also a number of nice touches not shown in the Video for brevity, IE if you forget to turn the IGN on the screen tells you that you need to turn the IGN on.

But even i am still quite stunned at how stunningly fast it is which sort of comes over on the video a bit. Thumbs Up

Post #5599793rd Dec 2009 7:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

At £199 it would be worth buying one to keep in the glove box for that "just in case" situation.
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #5599823rd Dec 2009 7:14 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Neat little gadget that one, hope your effort is rewarded and uptake is good!

I'll consider one when my wallet has recovered from my new turbo Laughing
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #5599833rd Dec 2009 7:15 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Brand New BBS low cost FCR tool launched

BBS SPY wrote:
Hiya All

This is a shame because as i see it, the worst concern, worry and negative aspect of owning and running a Disco 3 or indeed any of the later Technology laden Land Rovers, especially the earlier ones is the constant nagging worry that the technology can and probably will break down at the worst possible time and leave you stranded and powerless. That concern is made even worse when the car does something unusual, flashes a lamp, gives you a warning message or whatever.

So if I do break down say offroad (electronically speaking), will this new gizmo be able to fix it. Thumbs Up
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #5600163rd Dec 2009 8:33 pm
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

wiggs wrote:
Its not for a pc ..its a stand alone one

Ah! I see said the blind man Wink

Still very nice Thumbs Up
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #5600393rd Dec 2009 8:47 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Bury head in sand Rolling Eyes
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #5600533rd Dec 2009 8:55 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 
Re: Brand New BBS low cost FCR tool launched

Dom Harvey wrote:
So if I do break down say offroad (electronically speaking), will this new gizmo be able to fix it. Thumbs Up

Don't know, but at least you'll know what the fault code is whilst being towed out if it doesn't
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #5601073rd Dec 2009 9:46 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Dom, any fault can be fixed with the right tools, regardless of if you are half way up a mountain or in a dealers workshop. The only difference is that on previous cars your regular spanners and screwdrivers were enough, but on the later higher technology laden vehicles, you almost always also need a diagnostic tool able to read and clear the fault codes. So unless you have your own tool to read and clear fault codes you have no choice but to recover a faulty vehicle to a dealership. The FAULTMATE FCR quite obviousy and quite ine inexpensively circumvents that aspect.

It is a known fact that many systems detect even a momentary fault and shut down, thus potentionally immobilising the vehicle, And all that is needed is to clear the fault code memory to get the system back on line and get the vehicle mobilised again.

Therfore the value in having your own Fault code reader and clearer on board, if you venture beyond is obvious, however it is also invaluable for anyone wanting to know just what is going on with their own on board vehicle electronics.

Post #5605594th Dec 2009 6:43 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

So what are the USP's over say calling 0800 521 786

Land Rover Assistance will send a Land Rover trained technician, whether you are at home or on the road. If the problem cannot be resolved at the roadside, we will take your vehicle to the nearest Land Rover dealer/Authorised Repairer . . . . .

Seems comprehensive enough to me and even the call is free.
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #5605664th Dec 2009 7:06 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hi 90BHP,
I noticed that in quoting the paragraph from the LRA web page, it seems you have only partially quoted it, so as to leave out the wording from the front which reads "Whenever practical", and from the end, that reads or to the one nearest to your home address in the UK.
It is also is in a paragraph that has a title "Immobilized vehicle?" which seems to imply that it is relevant only if the vehicle is immobilized.

So I guess if i am half way up Mount Olympus in my 05 D3, as indeed i actually was this Saturday, enjoying the snow as you do, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Olympus_(Cyprus)
and i loose my traction control. or the EMS or Gearbox decides to go into limp home mode, I honestly don't think having any 0800 number in the Glovebox would be of as much help as the FAULTMATE FCR that i took with me Whistle.

However not withstanding that:
There will always be people who are quite happy to want to have nothing to do with their vehicles beyond ownership and daily usage, and who happily entrust their vehicles well being, maintainance, functionality and repairs (both day to day and emergency) to others completely, i mean a lot of women these days call out the AA or whatever when they have a simple puncture or run out of fuel. Shocked

However there are other types of people in the world that prefer to be a little more hands on and get involved at some level, even if it's just a case of keeping their eye on things and remaining self aware and informed with a strong desire to learn ever more and more.

I believe that the vast majority of members on this forum fall into the latter category and indeed embrace any D3 DIY whole heartedly.
Sadly up to now however, the only tool able to access all of the vehicles on board systems has been our own FAULTMATE MSV-2 which although now well known for its ability, is much more than many need and still costs far more than many can afford.

Therefore in respect of my attempting to provide a Fault Code Reading & Clearing tool for these later Land Rovers such as the D3 and D4 etc at just 199, that can allow owners to at the very least monitor the resultant fault codes output from the absolute masses of built in self diagnostic technology in their very own vehicles, and stand a good chance of being the one tool that makes the big difference in effecting their own repairs, I think most members instantly recognize it for the positive contribution to the D3 community that it truly represents.

Post #5614987th Dec 2009 1:38 pm
rmp

Australia 

90BHP wrote:
So what are the USP's over say calling 0800 521 786

Land Rover Assistance will send a Land Rover trained technician, whether you are at home or on the road. If the problem cannot be resolved at the roadside, we will take your vehicle to the nearest Land Rover dealer/Authorised Repairer . . . . .

Seems comprehensive enough to me and even the call is free.

Well, if you're in suburban UK, I suppose that works. If you're touring offroad, say in central Australia, there's a couple of problems with the plan.

1. Presumes ability to make a phonecall. There are areas of the world, specifically the ones many of us like to visit, that do not have mobile coverage and without a vehicle (or camel train) you are in effect stranded on a small island of your vehicle as you certainly can't walk out, as the ghosts of many of who tried can attest.

2. Even if you could make the call, said tech may take 2-3 days to get to you. Total 6. I can't see LR letting one of their people spend that amount of time on a single callout. And you'd need to wait that time.

Personally, I'd rather clear the fault myself.
 --
Robert
Life is better in low range 

Post #5617447th Dec 2009 10:33 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

There is a new video of this now with a few last second improvements

http://www.blackbox-solutions.com/downloads/videos/FCR.html

Post #56474714th Dec 2009 9:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 9 123456789>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >