DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Found the cause of my low coolant level
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
lard

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Found the cause of my low coolant level

Hi all,

slowly getting the D3 up to spec for a trip across france in a week or so - just had NSF driveshaft replaced, alternator, battery & full service....

Last on the list was the return of the low coolant level warning, had previously replaced the expansion bottle and thought it was time to do it again, but did note that the level was low but no leaks under the vehicle e.t.c.

topped it up (about 200ml) and drive an hour, start up and again, low coolant - decided to remove plastics and noted coolant around this piece:

It's front of the engine under the cover - coolant assembly?

Anything else to order for anyone who's done this apart from the housing itself?

Post #21651932nd Aug 2020 3:03 pm
Sea Raider

This may assist you

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/water-conne...76285.html

Post #21652002nd Aug 2020 3:34 pm
lard

ah brill thanks for that - I couldn't be done with queueing to get into Halfords so ordered this from Amazon, cross checking it has the same sizes as the Halfords one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B088WF...&psc=1

Post #21653603rd Aug 2020 11:47 am
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

Landrover don't supply the o ring that fits it to the fuel cooler, (only a complete cooler!). You can get the o ring from Citroen/Peugeot, part number 198171

Post #21655093rd Aug 2020 9:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lard

I got the o ring as part of a generic kit from amazon - used a 18mm x 4mm one as the closest to the squashed one that came out - new part fitted and took about 60 mins all in

filled, drove, 30 mins in low coolant so left to cool down and topped it back up this morning when cold (took another 1/2 pint of coolant) and am now halfway between the two marks

Here's the offending part!

Can see the staining around the seam on it - will take it for another hour drive later and with luck the coolant level now stays put! Thumbs Up

Post #21660406th Aug 2020 1:02 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

I played hunt the coolant leak on my V8 a couple of years ago. In my experience the entire plastic assembly (some 14 YO at the time) was just falling to bits and there were numerous tiny cracks. I thought I'd solved it with a new thermostat housing but it was just one crack. In the end cleaned up the engine bay with an all purpose cleaner and gently washed the areas that had known coolant leakage, then topped off, and ran the car as normal. I then used a black light in a dark garage to see where new leaks were - and there were new leaks. The coolant shows up brilliantly in black (UV) light. The black light was critical to chasing them down. Ended up replacing the entire housing. No more leaks.
 PAGODA  
Post #21660936th Aug 2020 4:11 pm
Prette

Location: Previously Stoke-ST4 (pre-pandemic), Mostly The Hague (NL) partially Lyngby (DK) certainly somewhere

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi all, i may have the same issue and would like to know where exactly is located this part mentioned?
The last weeks have being veery hot here in the Netherlands and i am moving houses, so... No time to pay much attention on the car.
Strangely, driving the whole day in hot weather with AC on and car temperature is always in the middle.
Drive to my garage underground, no issue... Leave the car to cool overnight and the pond of coolant is formed.
It drops always just below the low level line in the coolant tank. But because i always had the annoying low collant message Whistle , I might have driven some hundreds miles(kms) with this issue without noticing and had no issue with overheating at all. Am i missing something. (Other than the leak whole? Big Cry )
Thanks for the help

Post #216814817th Aug 2020 12:09 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

As (I think it’s this thread) has been said, the gauge is not the best indicator of when you have a problem. It’s NOT a thermometer, it’s a gauge.

You need to find the leak. I found a black (UV) light really helped me. Made my leak (V8) easy to spot. Changed the part, and no trouble since.

You need to find the leak I’d suggest.
 PAGODA  
Post #216815617th Aug 2020 3:59 am
pgerman

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

For the cost I would just replace the entire housing. As someone above states this housing perishes over time and starts to crack. Mine completely cracked a few weeks back when towing on the A34 near Newbury and the car lost all its coolant. Luckily I managed to get over quickly so no damage done.

Once the car was recovered home all it took was £40 on the part, £20 on coolant and less than an hour to do the job.

Paul

Post #216816117th Aug 2020 6:47 am
Prette

Location: Previously Stoke-ST4 (pre-pandemic), Mostly The Hague (NL) partially Lyngby (DK) certainly somewhere

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 3

Of course i will look for the source of the leak. Rolling Eyes However, it would be good to narrow it down first some recurrent spots (since D3 has some few reccuring problems and spots Whistle ). Hence my question of which part is this one mentioned here? Where to find it (in the car)?

I was also surprised that the coolant only leaks after cooling.

Post #216816217th Aug 2020 6:58 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >