Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

fey fob help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
disco-disco

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
fey fob help

need some help please, went to use me spair key fob first ov all it wouldnt unlock the car managed to get in ant it wouldnt start or even turn it over just the red imobliser light flashing. tried to re program the key using two different computers and just comming up with error. any one else had this prob has the key just gone too flat????

Post #82979329th Aug 2011 9:04 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Try leaving it in the ignition switch turn on for a while to see if it puts any charge back in to it.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #82979529th Aug 2011 9:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
should still have allowed car start

I think the key should still have started the 3 even if it would not open the doors. I assume that once upon a time, the key did work both for door opening and starting?

My understanding of the design of the key fob internals is that there are two unrelated circuits in there - one on a rechargeable battery to operate the door locks and a second circuit that allows the engine start sequence to proceed or not. That circuit to my knowledge does not require any internal battery power; it gets its energy from a sort of "signal surge" coming out of the engine computer into the key cylinder area which looks for a chip code within the key fob. The chip then absorbs power from the surge to answer in the affirmative - or not.

I might add that neither power nor signal flows thru the metal of the key blank - it is all field induction stuff - nothing is simple in a Land Rover but in this case, that is good news as below.

The problem you will have is that if the key will not start the 3, then it cannot be charged be being inserted into the key hole and driving around. What you can do however, is tape, or with an elastic band, bind the offending key fob to the one that works and let it ride along for a week or so. It should charge up sufficiently that the internal battery should at least operate the door locks. If it works for the door locks, then you can try it again re starting.

If it still does not work, (and it did before), the battery can be changed so let us know how the above worked out and we can point you to where the battery change instructions are if you cannot find them.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #82984330th Aug 2011 3:24 am
disco-disco

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

took it to my dealer and they said it had gone that flat its lost its memory. told me I needed a new key, so went to order a new key and was told they on back order and couldnt tell me how long it would take. so now its just a nightmare Sad

yer if u could forward me the charging method that would be great, as i think i would be beta talking to a brick wall than the dealer.

Post #82990230th Aug 2011 11:39 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Pete from Bell Autos has done some trails with keyfobs drop him a message and see what he thinks and Wiggs too they might have some info...

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #82991930th Aug 2011 12:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Tape the two key fobs together.

The link below is how to take apart the key fob and replace the battery. This is not easy to do however as the key fobs are not designed to be taken apart. The replacement battery is a Panasonic 3 volt VL2330 coin type battery.

Before you take your key fob apart, try to see if you can charge up the second key just by taping the key fob to the key fob that works and then let the second key "ride around" with the first one for a week or so.

In theory, if the first key is being charged by the system, then the second key will charge along with the first one. This is much easier than pulling the key fob apart.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic39609.h...key+%2Bfob

The dealer is probably telling you the truth re the back order thing. Apparently every so often, the machine or program that makes the spare keys at Land Rover England becomes corrupted and it takes weeks for them to figure out that they have a problem and then to fix it. They first find out that they have a problem by shipping replacement keys all over the world and the dealers calling back complaining the new key does not work. Once fixed, they then have to produce a bunch of new ones to find out if they have fixed the problem.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #82993530th Aug 2011 1:33 pm
Andrew Hebron

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

disco-disco wrote:
took it to my dealer and they told me I needed a new key, so went to order a new key

Happened to me and it means the car loses the "lazy entry" memory function with the new key. Apparently it only works with the 2 keys originally supplied with the vehicle.
 Andrew  
Post #82993730th Aug 2011 1:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >