Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Europe headlight adjustment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Same here, though not 30 times! Never got flashed at in France but did it Tunisia, prob cause they saw a convoy of Xenons heading towards them. We usually replied with hibeam + xenons + assorted lightforce/aux driving lights. 8) We knew it wasn't the beam direction as when the convoy got strung out the non xenon car didn't get flashed.

Post #62402120th Mar 2010 12:41 pm
cooperman17

2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

philhunt wrote:
In the 3 years I've had my D3 SE I've travelled to and from France about 30 times or more. I've never adjusted the lights and have never been flashed by oncoming drivers. If you do a search on here, you'll find that the consensus is there's no need to adjust.

How many times have you been stopped by the Feds?

You don't need to take a fluorescent vest or your insurance docs to get to where you are going Whistle

However if stopped the Feds will think otherwise Big Cry

Personal risk assessment

Post #62404620th Mar 2010 1:58 pm
SimonT

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I have been to Spain many times and never adjusted my lights with no flashes to report. I only had to flip the switch when I imported the car and had to take it for it's ITV (MOT).

Enjoy your trip Very Happy

Simon
 Monday is a hard way to spend one-seventh of your life  
Post #62405220th Mar 2010 2:06 pm
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If being flashed was a regular thing I'd adjust the beam every trip but it doesn't happen.

French Transport Police have a thing about UK cars and safety vests and have an occasional blitz on checks but usually these occur in service areas. It's sensible to carry vests anyway. Overloading is also one of their pet hates.
 Clubs Mantec, Tasmods, LEDS, AT2s on 18s, Maxxis Bighorns on 17s, Remote FBH, BAS. ReMap, BSS., RLD Personalised SWP., Safari Snorkel, Faultmate, Three Musketeers & MUD

Post #62407120th Mar 2010 2:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cooperman17

philhunt wrote:
If being flashed was a regular thing I'd adjust the beam every trip but it doesn't happen.

Is this a question of courtesy or legality Question

Post #62426120th Mar 2010 8:13 pm
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The intent of the Law is to prevent oncoming traffic from being dazzled. Clearly, from the experience of very many on here, oncoming traffic is not been affected.

Legally you should carry a spare set of bulbs when driving in France. Will you be carrying a spare set of Xenons to comply with the Law when ISTR the handbook states that these should only be replaced by a Main dealer for safety reasons?
 Clubs Mantec, Tasmods, LEDS, AT2s on 18s, Maxxis Bighorns on 17s, Remote FBH, BAS. ReMap, BSS., RLD Personalised SWP., Safari Snorkel, Faultmate, Three Musketeers & MUD

Post #62427120th Mar 2010 8:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cooperman17

Your point about spare bulbs is a good one, especially with the advancement in lighting technology.

Post #62441121st Mar 2010 7:59 am
MeanDorris

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Could someone please confirm is this switch/requirement is only applicable to Xenon lamps and not Halogen?

Thanks

Post #63484112th Apr 2010 2:29 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The internal "switch lever" only applies to Xenons, it alters the beam pattern to cut off the bit that lights the nearside kerb/path, there is no mechanical function on the Halogen lights to do this, hence the external stick-on wedge shaped "beam deflectors".

If you're asking if it's a legal requirement in Continental Europe, then I would guess it probably is - but many don't bother and they don't seem to get pulled up for it.
 Clive

Post #63486212th Apr 2010 3:20 pm
MeanDorris

Unnecessary quote removed

Thanks for the reply.

Hmm, that's a bit annoying as the manual doesn't make any distingsion between Halogen or Xenon lights and I spent a good while messing with everything to no avail.

I was a bit nervy removing the front grill on my 3 week old car as the top comes out OK but you have to have a good tug to release the bottom the clips, I also had a right nightmare lifting the the headlamp clips as they were really stiff.

Do you definately need the stick on deflectors then for the Halogen lamps in the D4's, there is no mention of this at all in the manual. My wife was told that her 3 year old Citroen C4 Grand Picasso didn't need them as the it wasn't necessary for the newer designed lamps in that model?

Post #63486512th Apr 2010 3:27 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have to say at this point that I have only a D3 for reference, but I'm pretty sure they're the same in this department.

The thing to consider is - the Halogen beam pattern is formed by the shape of the reflector behind the bulb, the bulb position is fixed within the reflector and there is nothing in front of it (except the outer cover.) so, unless the reflector is made in such a way that the beam is symmetrical and therefore suitable for left or right hand drive, then you would need the external deflector to make it conform.

Maybe the "Newer lamps" are made symmetrical, should be easy enough to check, just drive up to and stop about 20 feet away from a wall in the dark and look see how the beam lines up, see if you have the enlarged higher bit on the left side of each dipped beam.
 Clive

Post #63489012th Apr 2010 4:43 pm
MeanDorris

Thanks for the suggestion, I haven't given it a try yet but I will.

I have however been speaking to Land Rover customer services who checked with Dealer Tech Support and have advised that you do not need to do anything with the Halogen D4's, delfection stickers or anything else.

I hope that's the case...

Post #63588714th Apr 2010 5:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >